Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Maniac Cop 2 -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:12 AM

As full disclosure, I've known Blue Underground's Bill Lustig for quite awhile, and have always respected him, as both a filmmaker, as well as a force behind indie labels in the home video world.

Rather like The Twilight series, films in the Manic Cop genre aren't my cup of tea, but I'll occasionally visit them when I actually find an hour or two of free time.

With the release of Manic Cop 2 to Blu-ray, we have the perfect storm -- in a very good way.

A knowledgeable producer and distributor in home video is also the director of the film, and in bringing MC2 to Blu-ray, Mr. Lustig has, in my opinion, done everything right.

Scanning in 4k, from the OCN, he began with perfect data files.  Down-rezzed to 2k for cleanup, and through a new LUT for Blu-ray, his resultant final imagery and audio (in HTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby 5.1 EX) round out a package that one would normally not expect at this budget level.  I've a feeling that a form of parental pride is in play here.

Bottom line.  Fans will be thrilled with the quality.  I've never seen the film, but having viewed the first 15 minutes or so, will be returning to see where it goes.  It's a fun experience, presented in the highest of quality on Blu-ray.  Maniac Cop 2 on Blu-ray is an unexpected pleasure.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:43 AM

I am pleased to read about scanning at 4K from the OCN but i have a question.

If a 4K scan costs approx on average $80k then how can a small company like Blue Underground afford to scan in 4K and release this, are they going to make their money back. ?

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 12 2013 - 08:44 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:57 AM

If I had to guess, I would say Lustig paid for 4K to create a master (and preservation) for all future possibilities and formats, so you can spread the cost over all of those potential markets. The film even has a limited theatrical run in New York City (via 4K DCP) starting this weekend. He owns the film, so it would make sense to spend the money in this case.

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 09:51 AM

I am pleased to read about scanning at 4K from the OCN but i have a question.

If a 4K scan costs approx on average $80k then how can a small company like Blue Underground afford to scan in 4K and release this, are they going to make their money back. ?

The greatest cost is in the color correction and clean-up.  Not the scan itself.

RAH

• Stephen_J_H likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 13 2013 - 09:57 AM

The greatest cost is in the color correction and clean-up.  Not the scan itself.

RAH

What's a ballpark figure for a quality 4K scan, the colour correction and cleanup and for that matter anything else required. ?

I remember reading this on another of your posts but i forget the one.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 10:17 AM

What's a ballpark figure for a quality 4K scan, the colour correction and cleanup and for that matter anything else required. ?

I remember reading this on another of your posts but i forget the one.

A quality 4k scan can run around 15-20k.  Color anywhere from $300 - 700/hour.  A feature can easily take 100 hours.  Cleanup is off the charts, and totally element dependent.

Far more than just this involved, however.

RAH

• FoxyMulder likes this

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 10:26 AM

If I had to guess, I would say Lustig paid for 4K to create a master (and preservation) for all future possibilities and formats, so you can spread the cost over all of those potential markets. The film even has a limited theatrical run in New York City (via 4K DCP) starting this weekend. He owns the film, so it would make sense to spend the money in this case.

I'm not sure about theatrical rights, but First Look Pictures, not Lustig, own the home video rights to this and Maniac Cop 3.

Edited by Derrick King, November 13 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 13 2013 - 11:11 AM

A quality 4k scan can run around 15-20k.  Color anywhere from $300 - 700/hour.  A feature can easily take 100 hours.  Cleanup is off the charts, and totally element dependent.

Far more than just this involved, however.

RAH

The scan seems cheap, i think the studio's should be doing it as standard practice at that price, even if they don't do any colour correction or cleanup immediately they would still have a digital archived version they could work on later.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 11:13 AM

Too bad MANIAC didn't turn out this well.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 11:15 AM

I thought First Look folded as an active company after being acquired by Millennium Films back in 2010/11. Perhaps rights reverted back to Lustig at that time as I don't see FLP or Millennium credited on the Blu Underground packaging. 

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 01:37 PM

I thought First Look folded as an active company after being acquired by Millennium Films back in 2010/11. Perhaps rights reverted back to Lustig at that time as I don't see FLP or Millennium credited on the Blu Underground packaging. 

No, Blue Underground mentioned on their facebook page that they licensed the films from First Look.  I can't speak as to why neither First Look or Millennium are credited on the Blu-ray packaging.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 01:43 PM

Interesting, thanks for the update/correction.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 06:18 PM

I love this film.  It's so much fun.  Just ordered it, today. I cannot figure out why MANIAC is so bad.  Even the trailer on the Blu-ray looks superior to the film. 

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 22 2013 - 06:23 AM

Yes, MC 2 looks terrific. The film itself isn't a personal favorite but I like these kinds of movies so I'm glad to add it to my collection. The independent labels are doing far, far better work than most major studios these days.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 11:36 AM

It's a good film to check out if you like GREAT stuntwork in films.  It's a lost art in the digital age.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted November 26 2013 - 05:36 PM

I love this film.  It's so much fun.  Just ordered it, today. I cannot figure out why MANIAC is so bad.  Even the trailer on the Blu-ray looks superior to the film. 

The problem is it went out with RGB-PC levels as opposed to RGB-Video levels.

This happens occasionally. 

Edited by FanboyZ, November 26 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 26 2013 - 05:40 PM

I believe the Arrow version is free from that particular issue:

http://www.caps-a-ho...tiID=81#auswahl

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Ignatius

Ignatius

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted November 26 2013 - 06:25 PM

They're referring to Lustig's 1980 MANIAC, rather than MANIAC COP. Besides, the original MANIAC COP was released by Synapse, not BU, so Lustig didn't have control over production of the disc.

Edited by Ignatius, November 26 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 26 2013 - 06:29 PM

My mistake!

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 26 2013 - 11:18 PM

Looks more like a contrast/gamma thing going on there rather than PC video levels thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users