What's new

Can someone explain pre-amps to me? (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok so this is related to another thread ive posted, call this my backup plan.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR905.

Its great i love it, it does everything i need except deal with 3D signals.

So im beginning to wonder if a preamp would be the right solution. The thing is most of the preamps ive searched from brands im familiar with (Rotel Denon, Onkyo) etc all cost more than a new receiver would, at least one comparable to my current 905.

Then i came across this

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

I've heard their monoblocks are well regarded, but i dont know much about them all in all.

My main quesiton though in this ramble is what exactly will this do for me?

All my inputs go into the preamp and then i hook rca cables from the pre-amp to the inputs on my 905?

The preamp does all the processing and the 905 does the amplificaion. But will the 905 still apply its auddessy EQ to its output or will i have to do all those adjustments in the preamp which does not have auddessy EQ? also the preamp only has 4 hdmi inputs could i still hook some inputs directly up to my receiver?

Sorry for any of the noob questions here, ive always used an integrated receiver before now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Using the 905 as an amp is a stop-gap.The only way the Audyssey does anything is if it is active on the MCH. Not very many AVR with MCH leave Aud active.

Users who are viewing this thread