Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Hatari, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and El Dorado (Blu-ray)

Warner BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 of 99 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 11 2013 - 09:11 AM

I wonder if Warner will be announcing the Blu-ray release of Samson & Delilah soon?

#22 of 99 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted November 11 2013 - 09:14 AM

John Wayne is my all-time favorite actor.  There are better actors, but there was only one John Wayne. 

You get the Duke in the right role and there's no one more convincing.  Oh, my gosh, Gunfight At The OK Corral too...holy grail film for me.

• JohnRa likes this

#23 of 99 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 11 2013 - 09:23 AM

You get the Duke in the right role and there's no one more convincing.  Oh, my gosh, Gunfight At The OK Corral too...holy grail film for me.

John, could played any role, wished he did more comedies though; he was a natural at that.

#24 of 99 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,477 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 10:58 AM

El Dorado is somewhat of another variation of Rio Bravo.  One of my favorite Wayne films from my childhood when I originally viewed it at my local movie theater back in 1966/1967 timeframe.  Hatari is not one of my favorite Wayne films, but it has its fans.  There are some good moments, but just not enough for me. 

Definitely agree, it is ALMOST a carbon copy of Rio Bravo, even the director, Howard Hawkes, admitted as much.  Still a good movie, James Caan in the Ricky Nelson role, Robert Mitchum in the Dean Martin role, Arthur Honeycutt in the Walter Brennan role, and John Wayne in the John Wayne role. :P

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#25 of 99 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,223 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted November 11 2013 - 10:59 AM

Red Buttons was the real star of Hatari for me, plus a tree full of monkeys.

#26 of 99 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 11 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thank you, Warner. You're the only studio who gives a damn about classic titles on Blu-ray!

#27 of 99 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,856 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thank you, Warner. You're the only studio who gives a damn about classic titles on Blu-ray!

I would say Fox has done a decent job as of late.

But, yes, Warner reigns supreme!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#28 of 99 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 11 2013 - 11:48 AM

Paramount could of released these titles by themselves, but I have a feeling these releases won't see much special features though. I'm sure someone could put together a nice featurette or documentary about the making of Harari!

#29 of 99 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:06 PM

Well we are talking Paramount films here, two of which have already been released in Europe, but I'm not going to have a go at Warner, as I'm sure next year they'll be releasing lots of lovely catalogue titles.

#30 of 99 Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:20 PM

Gonna blind-buy all of them.

#31 of 99 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:35 PM

El Dorado is definitely a spiritual successor to Rio Bravo and possibly even more laid back in its own unique Howard Hawks style, effortlessly transitioning from serious to pure farce.

I was hoping that Hatari! would of been a solo Paramount release.

Had more of the expectation of El Dorado, given that one was one of the few films (out of 10) Paramount released in their Centennial Collection DVD line.  Looks like WB has free reign on anything classic Paramount that isn't already out on blu.

#32 of 99 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:42 PM

Had more of the expectation of El Dorado, given that one was one of the few films (out of 10) Paramount released in their Centennial Collection DVD line.  Looks like WB has free reign on anything classic Paramount that isn't already out on blu.

WB just wants own everything plain and simple, I'm surprised that the Audrey Hepburn titles haven't been re-release by WB yet.

#33 of 99 AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:58 PM

While I'd hope that Hatari was not quite the mess that the European transfer is, I think that hope will be dashed.

I have my doubts also, but I'll hope so anyway.

what is the use of gadgets such as sound, color, widescreen or 3D
when there is a lack of good story, good actors and professionals behind the camera?

#34 of 99 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:58 PM

I actually prefer El Dorado to Rio Bravo, I suppose because I saw El Dorado at the cinema back in the day, also I find Rio Bravo is paced just a bit too leisurely.
  • JohnRa likes this

#35 of 99 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:26 PM

I actually prefer El Dorado to Rio Bravo, I suppose because I saw El Dorado at the cinema back in the day, also I find Rio Bravo is paced just a bit too leisurely.

I like El Dorado more as well, but they're both fine movies.

• EdG and Walsh61 like this

#36 of 99 EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 06:48 PM

It's great to see these being released in March.  I figured WB/Paramount would wait until the Father's Day time frame to release any Duke or classic westerns on Blu.  3 more great films I can cross off of my want list.  Thanks WB :banana:

#37 of 99 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 06:56 PM

POPULAR

It's great to see these being released in March.  I figured WB/Paramount would wait until the Father's Day time frame to release any Duke or classic westerns on Blu.  3 more great films I can cross off of my want list.  Thanks WB :banana:

How about The Sons Of Katie ElderIn Harm's Way, and Donovan's Reef for Father's Day?

• Everett Stallings, ahollis, Walsh61 and 2 others like this

#38 of 99 EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:08 PM

POPULAR

How about The Sons Of Katie ElderIn Harm's Way, and Donovan's Reef for Father's Day?

John, those 3 next and Liberty Valance!!!  Great minds think alike.

• Everett Stallings, ahollis and Lromero1396 like this

#39 of 99 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:49 PM

WB just wants own everything plain and simple, I'm surprised that the Audrey Hepburn titles haven't been re-release by WB yet.

I pretty sure the Audrey Hepburn films stayed with Paramount and not part of the Warner deal.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#40 of 99 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 11 2013 - 09:02 PM

I pretty sure the Audrey Hepburn films stayed with Paramount and not part of the Warner deal.

Which Hepburn films are you taking about? Because Breakfast at Tiffany's (BD and DVD), War and Peace (DVD), Sabrina (DVD) and Funny Face (DVD) are all will Warner now as they are sold at WBShop.com

Edited by Mark-P, November 11 2013 - 09:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users