Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Stalag 17 -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Paramount Warner Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,922 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 05:23 PM

Billy Wilder's 1953 Stalag 17, shortly being released by Warner Home Video via Paramount, is a gorgeous Blu-ray.

It actually looks far better than I thought it would, and that's a testament to the archival staff at Paramount.

For those who have not yet experience Stalag, it's a brilliant film - pure and simple.  Look at the names of those involved.

Billy Wilder - you know what he's done.  If you don't, please don't embarrass yourself;

Ernest Laszlo (cinematographer) - a camera operator on Wings, second unit on Hell's Angels, Vera Curz, Kiss Me Deadly, Judgment at Nuremberg...

and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World;

George Tomasini (editor) - Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Wrong Man, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Time Machine, The Misfits, The Birds;

Franz Waxman (uncredited), this is a fun one - The Blue Angel, The Bride of Frankenstein, Fury, A Day at the Races, Rebecca, The Philadelphia Story, Suspicion, Air Force, The Paradine Case, Rear Window, Mister Roberts, The Spirit of St. Louis, Love in the Afternoon, The Nun's Story.

You get the idea.

It looks terrific.  Great gray scale.  Good blacks, nice grain.  It's all there.

Buy it.  Enjoy it.

$17.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 10:19 PM

I watched this a few days ago. It's a really good BRD. It's a good film too!

#3 of 16 ONLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 11 2013 - 05:20 AM

I've seen this in HD on the telly & it looks really good. It was an early DVD release from Paramount & boy did it look ropey! These are great times for film fans...with a Blu-ray player.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,352 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 11 2013 - 05:23 AM

I agree. I watched it last weekend, and it was a terrific Blu-ray. The movie has always been a marvel of comedy and mystery and drama all combined into a surefire package of entertainment.

The bonuses are also very informative.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:15 AM

Some older films which try to mix comedy with more serious subject matter fall flat on their faces - whether this is due to cultural relativism or because they were just poor to start with is not for me to say.

But this isn't one of those films.

Genuinely funny in parts, but tense and gripping for the rest.

I bought the disc as soon as it appeared, but haven't watched it yet.  So pleased that it's a good 'un.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,515 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:14 PM

This sounds simply mouth-watering.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   mark brown

mark brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:25 PM

Don't forget William Holden!  One of his best!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 07:51 PM

Picked this up and wish to echo all the sentiments.  Excellent film and a wonderful disc.  So glad to finally have this one.

Doug

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:44 PM

"Stalag 17" isn't usually thought of as a Christmas movie, but it certainly and entirely is one. This excellent Blu-Ray will make for very high quality alt-Christmas viewing at my place this coming season!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 03:24 PM

"Stalag 17" isn't usually thought of as a Christmas movie, but it certainly and entirely is one. This excellent Blu-Ray will make for very high quality alt-Christmas viewing at my place this coming season!

There's another Billy Wilder film that's both ideal Christmas viewing and a miraculous blend of drama and comedy: The Apartment. I intend to watch that during the Christmas holiday period plus the Sinatra version of Ocean's Eleven. I might also watch my Region 2 DVD of Christmas Holiday.

Edited by Robin9, November 16 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 07:10 PM

Add to the list of movies that are actually "Christmas/New Years/Holiday" movies but are not generally thought of as such is Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. The chronology of the movie takes place in the weeks just prior to Christmas and holiday decorations are seen strewn across the street as Marion drives out of Phoenix with the loot.  :)

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,539 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 16 2013 - 06:39 AM

They could have tinsel in the shower and Psycho still ain't no Xmas movie. :)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 11:00 AM

They could have tinsel in the shower and Psycho still ain't no Xmas movie. :)

The original nightmare before Christmas.  ;)

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,539 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 20 2013 - 12:45 PM

For sure. It gave me nightmares.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,153 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 06:55 AM

I have been wanting to comment on this film for the past few days.

A few weeks ago I received the Blu-ray double feature Stalag 17 and

The Dirty Dozen.

Had never seen Stalag 17, and it was the primary focus of my purchase.

Getting The Dirty Dozen with it was an added bonus as I like that film.

Anyhow...

First time I ever watched Stalag 17.

I think, initially, I was bothered by the fact that this was a comedy.  I was

kind of hoping for a film more like The Great Escape.  However, over the

past few days since its viewing, I have been thinking of it often and found

that it really has grown on me.  I particularly like the tension involved with 

finding the snitch in the group and what was ultimately done with that individual.

In all, after sleeping on it a few days, I think it's a great movie.

I agree with Mr. Harris that it's a great looking Blu-ray.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,476 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted March 31 2014 - 11:29 AM

Wilder's genius was making these harshly cynical (or maybe realistic is a better word) films cloaked within the guise of a comedy. So many of his films (The Apartment, Stalag 17, One-Two-Three, The Fortune Cookie, etc) follow this formula, brilliantly.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Paramount, Warner, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users