Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Vincent Price Collection -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Shout Factory MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 02:45 PM

Having grown up on the Roger Corman / AIP horror classics of the '60s, I'm thrilled to finally have six starring Mr. Price -- four of which come from the early '60s.

These were never meant to be horror per se.  They always had a humorous tongue-in-cheek sensibility out them, and that aspect has survived the decades.

Some of these productions were cheaply printed by B labs, while others were printed in dye transfer.  The difference - huge.

While we're still missing some stellar films in the series, such as The Raven, Premature Burial and Tales of Terror.

But these six productions, spanning just over a decade, from 1960 to 1971 are a nice beginning.  Hopefully Scream Factory will do well enough on this set to give us a second.

The films all look quite nice on Blu-ray.  Elements, transfer budget, wear age all come into play.  Here's how they line up.

While I'm not certain, from a cursory viewing, all appear to be derived from IPs.  Color, densities, black levels are grain are all very comfortable for the era.

The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

The Haunted Palace (1963)

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Witchfinder General aka The Conqueror Worm (1968)

Image - 4

Audio - 5

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

Image - 4

Audio - 5

One thing to note about these films.  Those with just a bit higher budgets, show every penny of those dollars on screen.  The gothic settings, castles, stone stairways, and candlelit rooms exude a very special aura.

At a current street price of $67 for six films, the set is a great buy, and a superb offering from Scream Factory.  All six films have extras, so the value is in the set.

Before it's brought up, I'm aware of the UK, region B release of Fall of the House of Usher from Arrow.  It appears to come from the same IP as the the Scream collection.  It has a newer transfer, based upon the quality of the element, is a bit better, and has been digitally cleaned.  It's a quality release.

Priced at a few dollars more than the US release, and with a very nice selection of extras, it would make a nice addition for true fans of the series.

Both the Scream Factory collection and the Arrow release of Usher are Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 10 2013 - 04:44 PM

I was one of the lucky people who scored this set for $39.99 from Groupon.  But even at twice that price I would have been VERY happy with the quality and value of the set.  As it is, I'm thrilled and hoping for a volume 2 (which would include Theatre of Blood if I had my way.)

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 802 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 10 2013 - 04:58 PM

For those considering the aforementioned Arrow release, you may be interested to know they are also planning releases of The Pit and the Pendulum, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again and Theatre of Blood.

Witchfinder General is already available in Region B land from Odeon.

Edited by EddieLarkin, November 10 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 10 2013 - 05:59 PM

A beautiful few words about a beautiful few films that forever captured the imagination and passion of this youngster.  I remember my parents' exasperation at being dragged to the first few repeatedly during my pre-driving years.  In the end, they were always entertained, but the youngster was the one smitten.

Watching the first three (as listed above) has been rewarding beyond words, and the others are soon to follow (I've never gotten to know Phibes even though I've had the Midnite Movies DVDs here forever).  I, too, hope for the chance to give more of my money to Scream Factory for all of the others in the 1960s AIP/Corman/Poe/Price/Milland/etc. canon.

• Richard Gallagher likes this

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 10 2013 - 06:09 PM

Watching the films in this set has motivated me to re-read the Poe stories which inspired three of them. It's probably an unconventional way to read myself to sleep, though.

Rich Gallagher

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 10 2013 - 06:24 PM

A couple of years ago I browsed a few chapters from the paperback novelizations (Lancer Books!) of these, and was surprised at how decently a couple of them were written.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm very happy with this set.  The Iowa PBS Introductions/Finales by Vincent Price are wonderful.

• Walsh61 likes this

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 13 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes, they are surprisingly good, and very entertaining.  A very nice extra to have.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 07:41 AM

For those considering the aforementioned Arrow release, you may be interested to know they are also planning releases of The Pit and the Pendulum, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again and Theatre of Blood.

Witchfinder General is already available in Region B land from Odeon.

Eddie, for me the two Phibes films swings it the way of the UK.

If I wanted them both (and I do, I do) I'd have to shell out for this set (which includes some films not high on my list) and risk the sequel not coming out, or coming only in a box of stuff I largely/entirely didn't want.

Even if I end up with the lot, I suspect it'll be far more comfortable for me to pick them up one or two at a time.

I'm just a sucker for the late '60s/early '70s British horror films - Hammer, Amicus, Phibes, Witchfinder General, Wicker Man, Blood on Satan's Claw (would have been even more intersting had it been Blood on Santa's Claw...).

The Phibes films are not technically British, but they exude a similar feel to those others, I think.

Can you tell that I grew up on ITV's Appontment with Fear ?

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:41 PM

I absolutely love this set. I've always been a huge horror fan, and the Price films were my first taste of the genre (they were the first horror films my parents would let me watch as a kid).

Personally, I really hope Scream & Scream Again and Madhouse get the HD treatment at some point. Despite their flaws, they're my absolute favourites.

• JoHud likes this

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 01:48 PM

While featuring a truely gorgeous transfer, THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH on this Blu-ray is from an element missing footage that was on the Laserdisc. The DVD was trimmed in exactly the same way. The US Blu-ray has the same edit as the German Blu-ray release referenced in the following.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 14 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'm very happy with this set.  The Iowa PBS Introductions/Finales by Vincent Price are wonderful.

Are you saying that Price introduces and closes the actual movies, or are they only in the extras section?

Price did a marvelous job introducing Mystery on PBS years ago.  Really liked it when he did Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes and always wished Vincent could be included on the DVD release.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 14 2013 - 09:33 PM

Are you saying that Price introduces and closes the actual movies, or are they only in the extras section?

You choose whether to watch the movie with or without them. 

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 14 2013 - 10:44 PM

You choose whether to watch the movie with or without them.

And they're worth watching, too. Plus, the location for the taping, Salisbury House, was absolutely perfect! If I ever get to Des Moines, I am definitely touring that house.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 15 2013 - 04:19 AM

And to answer the question more completely (sorry, wasn't reading comprehensively last night), the intros and outros and indeed specific to each film.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,338 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:38 AM

And to answer the question more completely (sorry, wasn't reading comprehensively last night), the intros and outros and indeed specific to each film.

I like that.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,231 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:56 AM

'are' indeed, not 'and' indeed

I apparently can't type this morning, either.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,338 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 03:45 PM

'are' indeed, not 'and' indeed

I apparently can't type this morning, either.

I know, you just washed your hands and couldn't do a thing with them. :)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 02:41 PM

This set is currently at $39 from Amazon..

Temporarily out of stock but worth waiting for.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,786 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 16 2013 - 03:17 PM

This set is currently at $39 from Amazon..
Temporarily out of stock but worth waiting for.

Thanks. That was my price range.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Shout Factory, MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users