114 replies to this topic

#41 of 115 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:35 PM

POPULAR

I always thought that Mr Ed was a bit stiff in the acting department.

• David Weicker, Ockeghem, JoeDoakes and 3 others like this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#42 of 115 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:46 PM

I always thought that Mr Ed was a bit stiff in the acting department.

How 'bout Harvey?

If he acted, it sure wasn't visible...

#43 of 115 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:21 PM

Next person who brings up religion in this thread is going to have their account suspended.

There is no reason to bring religion into this conversation.  Knock it off.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#44 of 115 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:26 PM

Richard Deacon (though I prefer Roger C. Carmel's three-dimensional Roger to Richard's stereotypical Fred Mertz retread on The Mothers in Law) and Tim Conway.  Tim seems to work best when paired with another comic.  With Joe Flynn on McHale's Navy and Harvey Korman on The Carol Burnett Show, he's a comic genius.

Oh, lord...Joe Flynn.  Can ANYONE explain his appeal?  :angry:

(I never watched much McHale's Navy, I'm just asking that on the basis of seeing him turn up in just about every live-action comedy Disney made in the 60's and 70's.  I guess he was a great slow-burn comic foil if he had someone to constipatedly whine at, but...)

And Richard Deacon was so funny in his thankless straight-man role on The Dick Van Dyke Show, you almost forget he was usually typecast as a villain in most bigscreen movies.

Roger C. Carmel, OTOH, just keeps playing Star Trek's Harry Mudd wherever he goes.  You really can't ask more of him than that.

#45 of 115 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:32 PM

If you don't see him in McHale's Navy, then you miss the point of his appeal in that show as to why it worked with him as the perfect comic foil for Borgnine and Conway.   Without that element, the show doesn't succeed as a sitcom classic.   

• Walsh61 and davidmatychuk like this

#46 of 115 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:40 PM

If you don't see him in McHale's Navy, then you miss the point of his appeal in that show as to why it worked with him as the perfect comic foil for Borgnine and Conway.   Without that element, the show doesn't succeed as a sitcom classic.   

Flynn may have not been a thespian but he was perfect for the Captain Binghamton role. Certainly he was no Brando method actor but people on here are also lambasting me for my opinion about Ann B. Davis and Charlotte Rae.... He weren't those two Tony Winners for their poignant roles in McBeth?

Plus, on a personal note, I feel terrible for the horrible slow death Flynn went through. Sucked down by his cast to the bottom of a pool. 

#47 of 115 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:49 PM

POPULAR

Speaking of sinking, this thread and much of the HTF TV forum has sunk pretty low of late.
  • Steve...O, Gary OS, davidHartzog and 5 others like this

#48 of 115 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:51 PM

Speaking of sinking, this thread and much of the HTF TV forum has sunk pretty low of late.

Didn't we recently have a very popular thread entitled something like, Who is the most annoying character on TV? I see no difference. Unless of course, your issue is not with the content, but past dealings with the OP. Hmmmmm.

#49 of 115 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:52 PM

Not every TV show can be Downton Abbey...

Critiquing shows like Castle require a tad bit of snark. You can tell Fillion is doing the show just so he has cash to finish Firefly...

• gruagach likes this

#50 of 115 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:44 PM

POPULAR

Didn't we recently have a very popular thread entitled something like, Who is the most annoying character on TV? I see no difference. Unless of course, your issue is not with the content, but past dealings with the OP. Hmmmmm.

No, I have no issues with you, Frank. I did start that other thread, but once it started to get nasty and began inordinately ridiculing others rather than poking good natured fun at our different perspectives of TV history, I stopped patronizing it. The general tone of of the TV forum in particular and HTF in general has become more negative than ever. I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.
  • Steve...O, Gary OS, davidHartzog and 3 others like this

#51 of 115 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:49 PM

No, I have no issues with you, Frank. I did start that other thread, but once it started to get nasty and began inordinately ridiculing others rather than poking good natured fun at our different perspectives of TV history, I stopped patronizing it. The general tone of of the TV forum in particular and HTF in general has become more negative than ever. I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.

I do agree with you to an extent. I get lambasted pretty good on here sometimes. It is increasingly negative.

#52 of 115 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:12 PM

I find myself moving more and more away from all of it, so while this topic may have been intended for people to enjoy, it instead just tells everyone with a different opinion that they are WRONG and I find no enjoyment in that.

People are passionate about their TV shows here - if they weren't they wouldn't spend so much time posting about them. I've had several "You're a moron" gut reactions to some of the names cited in this thread, but I understand that doesn't advance the discussion, so I have swallowed them. And for the record, my nominations for 'worst' status are Sasha Mitchell and Maxwell Caulfield.

I have my own issues with this site, which have gotten a little worse as of late. Specifying them might jeopardize my account so I'll leave it at that.

#53 of 115 OFFLINE   disctrip

disctrip

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:16 PM

Jack Lord on Hawaii 5-0. He always acted like his  s--t did'nt stink.I heard his co-stars would agree. Could'nt stand him.

#54 of 115 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:20 PM

I must admit...a fews months ago....I hammered VTTBOTS for it's content for it's 3rd and 4th seasons.  Gary called me on it.  That was my wake up call....so I just try to only "converse" about topics that I am intrigued by and dance around the rest.  I still have to pinch myself at times to not express an opinion that could be perceived as negative.  Just call me on it like Gary did. 

Edited by Shatner's Grim Reaper, November 11 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#55 of 115 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:29 PM

Negative topics such as this one, will only serve to bring out negative comments and negative reactions.  As Mother Jefferson used to say, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all.  That's why I seldom talk about Louise!"

#56 of 115 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:33 PM

I must admit...a fews months ago....I hammered VTTBOTS for it's content for it's 3rd and 4th seasons.  Gary called me on it.  That was my wake up call....so I just try to only "converse" about topics that I am intrigued by and dance around the rest.  I still have to pinch myself at times to not express an opinion that could be perceived as negative.  Just call me on it like Gary did. 

A lot of the problems stem from the fact that folks don't acknowledge that others have the right to their opinions. The negative tone of this board stems more from the people who take exception to others opinion of a show, rather than what the original poster said. That kind of holier than though, "you better like it cause I do, and you best not criticize MY show" stuff don't fly with me. If I think your show is garbage and you love it, you are entitled to your own opinion, so let me have mine. My attitude is that if your self esteem is so low, and you need to have my approval to legitimize your preferences, that's your issue.

Any sports fans out there know you need a thick skin to deal with critcism. If I wear my Dolphins jersey to a bar, I fully expect the guys in the Steelers jerseys to get on my case about my squad and I give it right back. I don't play cry baby and say "he don't like my team, poor me." C'mon guys, its a TV show, not your family.

• davidHartzog likes this

#57 of 115 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:48 PM

POPULAR

I hope no one thinks I'm some Pollyanna who only wants the good and nice things said all the time.  That's certainly not the case, and I'm not advocating for only "positive" posts from everyone where it's all ice cream and cake.  Having said all that, I'll add my voice to a couple of others here in that I do think I've seen a shift recently to a more critical, sometimes vitriolic, attitude amongst some.  And when you begin to realize you are reading that type of stuff all the time it starts to take the pleasure away from posting.  It's okay in its place, but I do think balance is needed and we can't just constantly be in a state of bashing and complaining.  That's too easy.  Sometimes we have to take a step back and enjoy the hobby. 

Gary "just my two cents" O.

P.S.  Grim, I can't honestly say I remember the incident you cited (where I called you out), but if I was too harsh then please accept my humble apologies.  I'm not for the suppression of all negative opinion.  If I were, I'd be the first one to have my mouth taped shut.  :D

Edited by Gary OS, November 11 2013 - 03:49 PM.

• Steve...O, Professor Echo, Walsh61 and 2 others like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#58 of 115 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,423 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is not rocket science guys.

A topic such as this WILL inevitably bring out negative opinions which will run contrary to others opinions and--whammo--people get pissy.

If you guys think the negative tone of this board is bad...1.)  you need to get out more and see what passes as civil discourse on other forums...and 2.)  you can do your part to make a difference and turn the discussion here to positive things. 

• FoxyMulder likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#59 of 115 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted November 11 2013 - 04:02 PM

This is not rocket science guys.

A topic such as this WILL inevitably bring out negative opinions which will run contrary to others opinions and--whammo--people get pissy.

If you guys think the negative tone of this board is bad...1.)  you need to get out more and see what passes as civil discourse on other forums...and 2.)  you can do your part to make a difference and turn the discussion here to positive things. 

Mike is right, folks. Visit "CardsTalk" which SHOULD be a place to discuss Cardinals baseball. People calling each other every name in the book, fake ID's just to have someone to agree with what was posted, people daring moderators to ban them. Nope, this place is pretty good!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#60 of 115 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 04:05 PM

Gary...you were an officer and a gentleman....no problems whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users