What's new

Mill Creek's Married... With Children rereleases, now with Love and Marriage theme song (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Believe it or not...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Married-Children-Seasons-1-and-2/19163

Wonder if the rights holders to the song learned a lesson after Sony essentially told them to piss off and still released the episodes with a knock-off theme song, and made money, while the rights holders made nothing?

Anyway, I guess I'll be buying these rereleases starting with S3, especially if the S4 episodes are all uncut, and the original ending credits are restored to episodes like Oldies But Younguns (which ended with the Arthur Alexander song "Anna" playing over the end credits, instead of Sony's DVD version that included the knock-ff theme song).

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Mill Creek's releases are probably the exact same as Sony's was so therefore the theme is still there. Undoubtedly once Mill Creek gets to the seasons Sony replaced the theme, the theme will be replaced as well. I'm sure these re-releases are nothing more than a way for Sony to dump out excess inventory. I wouldn't be expecting anything new with the Mill Creek releases.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TV_Fan said:
Mill Creek's releases are probably the exact same as Sony's was so therefore the theme is still there. Undoubtedly once Mill Creek gets to the seasons Sony replaced the theme, the theme will be replaced as well. I'm sure these re-releases are nothing more than a way for Sony to dump out excess inventory. I wouldn't be expecting anything new with the Mill Creek releases.
No, Mill Creek doesn't just dump out Sony (or Fox, or A&E) excess. Look at any rerelease of theirs, and you'll be able to tell that by the disc count alone.

Plus, they've rereleased shows like That 70s Show season 1 in broadcast format, while the original Fox set was syndicated versions. Same goes for Highway To Heaven S1.

/but S2 was still syndication edits.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Yes but in terms of what's covered music wise it is almost certainly whatever Sony has the rights for. The other sets are all part of different deals with different companies.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TV_Fan said:
Yes but in terms of what's covered music wise it is almost certainly whatever Sony has the rights for. The other sets are all part of different deals with different companies.
I guess we'll see.

Though if the TSoD guys are reading, that is a question that would be nice to have a definitive answer to... is the song just going to be included on the S1 and 2 releases that already had the theme song intact, or will all 11 seasons have it?

The way I read it, that's what they're saying. But you read it as only S1 and 2.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
It certainly seems it can go either way. The news does only cover the first two seasons. However, if Mill Creek's practice is to cram as many episodes as possible on each disc, I think I'll pass. Thirteen Season 1 episodes on one disc?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The existing releases from Sony for all these shows are out of print or will be by January. Sony decided to sub-license out the rights to Mill Creek instead of re-issuing new releases. Also, MIll Creek is very good at putting out stuff for less or as they call them 'value' releases.

It appears that Sony is not interested in releasing any older series which is backed up by the fact they have not released any classic TV (except for a few releases) in years. Through this deal they make some money as does Mill Creek and I would also say Mill Creek gains more exposure as this deal is their first with a major studio.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Except for season 1, Mill Creek's re-releases of Rosanne were exactly the same as the Anchor Bay releases. The only minor addition was Mill Creek was able to clear some additional Disney music for the two part Disney World episode. Everything else that Anchor Bay had to edit (The Identical Becky's ala the Patty Duke Show, Tiptoe Through The Tulips, the Three's Company Theme, and a few other things that I can't remember) was still edited for the Mill Creek release. So I wouldn't get my hopes up too high that they were able to clear Love and Marriage for all 11 seasons of Married With Children. I have to agree that the seasons that Sony released with the theme will be the only seasons that Mill Creek will be able to release with the theme.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm perfectly happy with the releases I already have. The replacement of "Love & Marriage" was never a deal breaker for me, as I always skipped past the intro anyway. However......if season 4's "It's A Bundyful Life" is the broadcast version, I may be inclined to upgrade that set.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Curious to see what happens with the later seasons. The problem there was that when Sony replaced the "Love and Marriage" song they also redid all the end titles to remove the credit for the song. Not so much a problem in earlier seasons where you would just see a still of the opening sequence, but in later seasons they often did additional scenes that would run under the end credits. On the DVD, for all these sequences (i.e. the Bundys in the movie theater, Kelly on the phone etc.) they would just show a still of the scene in question while the audio could still be heard. And all that just so that the "Love and Marriage" credit could be removed. It was ridiculous.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As some others have said, I suspect this will just be a straight reissue of the Sony sets, with the correct music on the first two seasons only. If Mill Creek go back and correct the opening/closing themes on later seasons (and the associated editing of end-credit visuals and other various edits), I'll be shocked (and, for the first time, tempted to buy).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Question for those who know this series really well. Aside from the opening theme song, which is not that big of a deal for me, could you please tell me what episodes are cut, edited, changed or had music replacements on the DVD releases? I have the whole series recorded from off Fox and before I dump the tapes, I'd like to dub over the episodes that were tampered with. Thanks.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
There's also a concern that they may just cheaply overdub the season 3-11 episodes with the original theme, because the many edited episodes would still suffer from freeze-framed end scenes.

It's pathetic that the publishers would suddenly, for no reason, start jacking up the price of the theme song. And it wasn't even the fault of the Sinatra Family (some people initially blamed them for that).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks