Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

The end of an era -- Blockbuster is really closed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,350 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted November 07 2013 - 12:00 PM

Here's one guy who isn't sad at all about Blockbuster closing....

As you may have read, the word has come down that Blockbuster, the one-time giant of video and DVD rental, will close the last of its remaining 300 or so company-owned stores. Does that make you nostalgic?

Not me. I always hated Blockbuster. In fact if I’m nostalgic for anything, it’s for what Blockbuster destroyed: The idiosyncratic, independent video-rental shops of the 1980s and 1990s.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#22 of 27 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

• 3,490 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 12:54 PM

I never liked to rent their blurays because they were usually "rental only" editions without the extras.

#23 of 27 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 11,035 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 07 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Blockbuster in my town closed down about a week before the national announcement. I didn't get a chance to check out the clearance sale though, but I'm not weeping over it.

I still rent optical Blu-ray via Netflix and occasionally Redbox.

#24 of 27 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

• 4,145 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 05:49 PM

I quit being a regular renter once DVDs came out and I could get most new movies for under $20, which sure beat the $40 average for laserdiscs. Always hated Blockbuster because of their ban on NC-17 rated movies, which was one of the main reasons a lot of movies were cut to get an R instead- hopefully with them out of the picture, studios won't be so afraid to release movies with that rating.

Forgiving that however, Blockbuster still could have changed a few things to cater to real movie fans. With stores like Tower and Borders gone, they could have stepped up their inventory of movies for sale (I NEVER buy used!) Instead they wasted store space on junk that had no business being in a video store, like as-seen-on-TV kitchen gadgets and what-not, and kept clinging to the rental model that was irrelevant to me.

Just goes to show however what goes around comes around- if they hadn't done so much to piss off people like me, they might still be in business. Instead they catered to the sheep, who left them when the next big thing came along.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#25 of 27 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 08:30 PM

Good riddance to the behemoth that forced all my favorite mom-and-pop video stores out of business.

This. Exactly.

#26 of 27 OFFLINE   TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,972 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 08 2013 - 05:11 AM

I loved mom and pop video stores for carrying offbeat titles but I hated them for carrying about 5 copies of new releases while Blockbuster would carry 200. I worked at a mom and pop and even as an employee, I had to go to Blockbuster to rent something if it was new.

#27 of 27 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,826 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 08 2013 - 07:23 AM

Moderator's Note:

I just realized today that we have had two concurrent threads on the same subject running in different forums.

I have just merged posts from those two separate threads into this one thread. 

Carry on!  :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users