-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion inks deal with Sony

Criterion Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,242 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 06:46 AM

From our friends over at Home Media Magazine

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 06:56 AM

This sounds like great news. Could this mean we will see some Frank Capra on blu-ray from Criterion in the not-so-distant future?

#3 of 9 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:03 AM

It's a deal for Sony to handle the retail distribution of Criterion's products, not content. Criterion already has released titles from Sony/Columbia and presumably will continue to do so.

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#4 of 9 Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:12 AM

"The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies."

I assume this is referring to Blu-rays? Because last time I checked, there were well over 500 movies in the collection.

#5 of 9 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:33 AM

It's interesting that Sony is doing this given how much that they have scaled back on issuing DVDs and blus themselves.  I would have thought that they would have really cut their distribution and back office staff.

#6 of 9 ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:46 AM

It's a deal for Sony to handle the retail distribution of Criterion's products, not content. Criterion already has released titles from Sony/Columbia and presumably will continue to do so.

It surely cannot hurt the chances.

#7 of 9 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,908 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 05 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's interesting that Sony is doing this given how much that they have scaled back on issuing DVDs and blus themselves.  I would have thought that they would have really cut their distribution and back office staff.

Distribution of third party product is likely more economically feasible, though I do wonder how this bodes for Image, given that they had a distribution deal for Sony product. As a side note, Sony distribution for Criterion may open up new markets for them.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 9 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 03:14 AM

When you have a favourite film, I think you dream of it getting the Criterion treatment.

A Matter of Life and Death is Sony in the US, and Criterion appear to love The Archers.

An announcement of a Criterion release of AMOLAD would probably hospitalise me. 

Steve W

• Mark Walker likes this
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#9 of 9 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,468 posts

Posted November 08 2013 - 12:10 PM

A Matter of Life and Death is the first film I thought of, too.

The current DVD has a nice commentary from Ian Christie,

but I would love this film on Blu-ray and the more quality bonus content, the better!

When you have a favourite film, I think you dream of it getting the Criterion treatment.

A Matter of Life and Death is Sony in the US, and Criterion appear to love The Archers.

An announcement of a Criterion release of AMOLAD would probably hospitalise me. 

Steve W

Edited by Mark Walker, November 08 2013 - 12:28 PM.

• Matt Hough likes this

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users