What's new

Going to Movies Alone/Watching Animated Movies: Weird? (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
So, I was having a random conversation with a couple people today and was shocked to hear one guy (35+ years old) and one girl (25ish) say that they had never been to a movie alone in their life. Both appear to be casual movie fans but said they never go alone because they feel as if they get weird looks.

Being bored, I decided to do a Google search and see quite a few posts where people seem to think it's weird going alone. Another topic seemed to be "adults" going to see animated movies without kids fearing that someone is going to think that they're basically some sort of pervert and are only there because kids are in the theater.

I guess because I love films I never really thought about it but I always go alone and prefer to go alone. I think my main focus is the movie itself so I don't want somewhere there with me "talking" through the movie or constantly asking if they want to see the movie for whatever trailer is showing. I know a lot of people "prefer" to watch a movie with a crowd but I still try to pick screenings/theaters where I hope there won't be anyone else in there.

So, is it really weird to watch Disney movies by yourself or just going to the movies in general by yourself?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As you get older, it gets tougher to find folks wanting to see the same films you want to see, and also have the time to see them. Plus, I'm single, so I have more "available" free time than my friends who are married with kids, so I pretty much just see most films alone, for the past decade or so, no big deal for me, though.

I do know people who aren't willing to go to the movies alone. Whatever...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm one step away from being a hermit so I have no problem going alone either. Plus, I see so many movies (probably 50 or 60 a year) that I don't know anyone that would see half that many movies so solo is sometimes required for me. I understand how people think of the movies as a social activity but when you think about how you don't/shouldn't talk during the movie, another person doesn't really seem mandatory.

I do like seeing comedies and summer movies with a larger crowd (I mostly see matinees so the largest crowd I'm in is maybe 30 people) because laughter or excitement can be kind of infectious with more people around.

As for kids movies, I love Pixar but I dread my annual trip to see their movies because I definitely get some "A grown man at a kid's movie? He's a pedophile!" looks. I try to arrive early, get a spot near the back and hope that they just think that I'm some animation dork (which is the truth).

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Michael Elliott said:
So, is it really weird to watch Disney movies by yourself or just going to the movies in general by yourself?
Seems to me there is a far more important question you should be asking yourself, why the hell do I even care what other people think?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ty, I can't really say I've ever been bothered by walking into a theater alone. I've seen 104 movies in a theater this year and three of them were with my girlfriend at the time. One of them had us leaving half-way through the film, which is something I've never done in my life. With that said, I personally wouldn't care if I got any looks but I do find it funny that some think of watching a movie as a social events and with that in mind they won't go by themselves. The film we were talking about was GRAVITY so I naturally said they had to see it on a big screen. The male was wanting to see it but his girlfriend didn't like that type of movie and his friends aren't into it either. He's a big sci-fi fan but still wouldn't just go by himself.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sorry Michael, it wasnt really directed at you specifically. I think it was more a general statement of principal. Anyone who cares about something so petty as a strangers perception of you going to a movie by yourself, that person has pretty low self esteem to begin with.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only thing strange about going to a movie or animated film alone is the person who sees fit to make a value judgment about another person based on the fact that they like to engage in an activity by themselves. I go to films, mostly alone, because most women wouldn't like the types of films I like and most friends are not available to go or won't go because they think going to a theatre is too expensive.I was a liitle self concious about going to animated films at the theatre, but then I decided I don't care what someone thinks. I like animated films, so if I want to see one in the theatre alone then I will. Anyone who thinks I'm a pedo for going to an animated film is the one with psychological problems, not me.I, actually, find it more bizarre that people start thinking they have to be attached at the hip for every activity once they become a couple.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Add me to the "going it alone" camp. I see most of the movies in theaters by myself. Usually because the IMAX theater closest to me happens to be on my way home from work, and I get off around 11:00 AM on Fridays. This is perfect to catch a new movie on opening day without the crowds.

I have gone to animated movies alone and it did feel more weird for some reason. I just ignored it. Once the lights go down, the weirdness goes away.

I have looked around before the movie starts and I can see there are quite a number of singles in the seats. I think there are more of us than we think.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The only reason one would worry about going to movies alone or watching Disney animated films alone is if one puts any value at all on what complete strangers might think of one's solo film watching habits. I go alone all of the time, and could care less.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
The theatre near me has morning shows all seats are 2.00 before noon Wed. & Sat. When my better half was still alive,I went alone because we worked at strange hrs. 8a-4p, me noon-12 midnight. Never felt strange by myself.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Theaters run showtimes of most animated films well into the wee-hours of the night. If they only wanted children to attend, they'd only run matinee shows.

I go to many movies by myself, including some animated. I've never had any odd looks.

It's sad that we've become such a co-dependent society that many people cannot seem to function without another person by their side, or constantly being in contact with someone via their phone. I enjoy detatching and having some completely alone time now and then.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Type A said:
Seems to me there is a far more important question you should be asking yourself, why the hell do I even care what other people think?
And when was the last time you actually ran into anyone you KNEW at a theater?
Everyone else is there because they wanted to see the movie, all you can do is blend in.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Michael Elliott said:
So, I was having a random conversation with a couple people today and was shocked to hear one guy (35+ years old) and one girl (25ish) say that they had never been to a movie alone in their life. Both appear to be casual movie fans but said they never go alone because they feel as if they get weird looks.

Being bored, I decided to do a Google search and see quite a few posts where people seem to think it's weird going alone. Another topic seemed to be "adults" going to see animated movies without kids fearing that someone is going to think that they're basically some sort of pervert and are only there because kids are in the theater.

I guess because I love films I never really thought about it but I always go alone and prefer to go alone. I think my main focus is the movie itself so I don't want somewhere there with me "talking" through the movie or constantly asking if they want to see the movie for whatever trailer is showing. I know a lot of people "prefer" to watch a movie with a crowd but I still try to pick screenings/theaters where I hope there won't be anyone else in there.

In New York, theaters are full of single people, even animated movies. I've seen Pixar movies alone, but usually in the evening. I once went to see a children's animated film, DIGIMON: THE MOVIE, at an evening showing in Manhattan and I was the only one in the theater.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What a bunch of perverts!!!

Michael, out of curiosity, which movie did you walk out of? And is that why she's now referred to as your girlfriend "at the time?" ;)

I saw Gravity by myself while my wife was at work. She was kind of interested in seeing it, but arranging time when neither of us is working and someone else is available to watch Junior can be tough. Also, I think she was happy to not pay the IMAX price for a movie that she was only kind of interested in seeing.

BTW, did you mention to your friend that Gravity is not really a science fiction film? :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Disney and Pixar films are the only ones that get me to the theater these days, and almost always, I go alone. I find it harder and harder to find people to go with me these days. And not just going to the movies, but other things as well, as they just don't really seem interested in going, yet won't give me a definite answer. Meanwhile, time is wasting away, and I may miss the chance to see the film in theaters. At some point, I was just like "screw it. I'll go by myself".As far as what people would think of me, I try not to think about it myself. But it's not easy at all!To be honest, I don't really see going to the movies as a thing to do with friends, as the focus is more on the movie and not the friends. That's unless there are other things planned along with the movie. Besides, I've had my fair share of bad experiences, where I had one friend who kept "heckling" me while watching the film. When telling him to stop, he would get upset and defensive.And yes, I plan to see "Frozen" in theaters, even if I go by myself.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That being said, I'm being corraled by my comic book artists gang to see Thor tomorrow night, and they mostly want the 2D experience. Gah! Oh well, the things we do for fellowship at times...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ty, no fears as I didn't take what you said as something aimed at me.

Aaron, the movie was ONLY GOD FORGIVES. I should have known not to take my then girlfriend to a movie like this but she started throwing a fit half-way through so we left. I went home and ordered it VOD to finish watching it. As for the "at the time," well, this here was something that just really broke everything and it dawned on me that we were just through.

I've said many times that I don't think movies are made for "film buffs" but instead they're meant to be places that people hang out with their friends at. It seems Friday and Saturday nights would be horrible in regards to this so that's why I don't go at these times. I personally don't care if people "think" anything but in some ways I think these people are more into themselves and their friends and aren't really worried what others are doing or who they are with. If anyone has had an issue with it I haven't experienced it yet. I'd say the ticket takers are probably curious why I watch so many films but they've never said anything or asked anything. Even when I used to watch 4-5 a day (a lonnnnggggg time ago).

But yeah, I still prefer watching them alone and with as few people as possible. With DIRTY HARRY tonight there were about six others and it was nice seeing this with other people but they were all respectful, wasn't talking and weren't there to laugh at the picture. This here probably is weird but when I was a teenager I knew by going to movies with my friends that I couldn't focus on the movie 100% so after school I'd go watch the movie by myself and then go back with my friends for the "hanging out" part.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I often go to movies alone because my schedule permits it and it is a lot easier than wrangling babysitting and schedules so that both the wife and I can go. We still go to a couple together every month, but there is no way we could make all that I want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks