What's new

What's Left on Your Grail Show List? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Much has been released over the past few years, so I thought it might be a good time to take a tally as to where we stand with our biggest wants. The questions posed for this thread are: 1) What shows do you have left on your grail list) and 2 )What are the chance of their release?) Here's mine:

1) Run For Your Life'

2) Hawaiian Eye

3) T.H.E. Cat

4) He and She

5) Beverly Hillbillies (Seasons 5-7)

6) Richard Diamond

7) Tightrope

8) It's Your Move

Unfortunately, it seems that the only two that appear to have a fighting chance are Hillbillies and maybe Hawaiian Eye (if Warner can work out the music rights). Four of the rest are one season shows that have little chance of release, Richard Diamond I can't predict, but it would be a nice title for TMG to look into. Run For Your Life I can't figure out as it is one of only a very small small handful of shows from the 60's that ran at least 3 seasons and hasn't seen a release. I have no idea why. What's your list and predictions>

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Obviously the rest of The Beverly Hillbillies and Barnaby Jones. To a lesser extent I'd love to see the rest of Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. I'd say MAYBE those will see the light of day. Since we're on the rural note, I'd love unedited episodes of The Real McCoys and I'd like to see Mayberry, RFD.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My "grail list" would be mainly hd restorations on bluray. Titles like:

- the original 1978-1979 Battlestar Galactica
- Babylon 5
- Knight Rider
- etc ...

At this point, I don't have much hope in seeing extensive hd restorations on bluray for these tv shows, in the near future.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Twelve O'clock High is the one I want the most(I know, don't hold your breath)Hong Kong(with Rod Taylor)that's another long shot.Adventures in Paradise(have to get permission from Michener heirs).Mr. NovakShindigHullabaloo(Complete series)Would also love to see Buckskin. As it hasn't aired in 50 years as far as I know.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
DR. KILDARE season 2-5

FLIPPER season 3

FURY - complete series

RIFLEMAN - complete series

BEVERLY HILLBILLIES - remaining seasons

BARNABY JONES - remaining episodes

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Spy Games 1997 series. 4 unaired episodesSalvage 1 4 unaired episodesMacy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 1987-89 telecastsCertain NBC 1973-6 Saturday Morning promos1982-3 NBC Family Christmas specialsOdds and endsJames

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
1) Batman
2) Green Hornet
3) The Rest of the Beverly Hillbillies
4) It's About Time
5) The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
6) Maybe, the Nanny and the Professor

Japanese Related titles:
1) Johhny Cipher in Dimension Zero
2) 8th Man
3) Prince Planet
4) the rest of, Marine Boy
5) The Space Giants
6) Spectreman

Finishing the rest of:

Flipper, Gentle Ben, The Flying Nun, Dr. Kildare, My Three Sons, Just Shoot Me. and definitely a number of cartoon titles from the 60's and 70's.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Here's my list

Rhoda - Season 5 (might happen if Shout can work things out with Fox)
The Bob Newhart Show - Seasons 5-6 (doubtful since it is Fox)
Room 222 - Seasons 3-5 (SO not gonna happen but I'd love for it to)
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters - Season 2 (maybe, just maybe if someone gets the rights to all of the Krofft shows and releases the ones not yet released)
The Flip Wilson Show - I'd settle for complete unedited shows in a' Best Of' package if it covered all 4 seasons.
Phyliss - Complete Series (SO not gonna happen since it is Fox)
Lou Grant - Seasons 1-5 (Yeah...Fox again. Never gonna happen)
The Hot L Baltimore - The Complete Series (After Rhoda probably my #1 most wanted show. Chances are VERY slim that it will happen, but maybe. Just maybe.)
Cher - I'd love a 'Best Of' collection as long at it covered the entire run of the series and the episodes were complete and unedited.
Angie - Seasons 1-2 (my #3 most wanted show. CBS might release it, but it doesn't look good)
The Big Valley - Seasons 2.5-4 (Well, let's see it's Fox sooooo not gonna happen)

Those are my most wanted. Here are some smaller pipe dreams that I would buy if available

Baretta (the rest of the series)
Barnaby Jones (the rest of the series)
The Amazing Spider Man (78)
The Betty White Show (77-78)
The Fantastic Journey (77)
Lucan (77-78)
Makin’ It (79)
Movin’ On (74-76)
Nanny & The Professor (70-71)
On The Rocks (75)
Operation Petticoat (77-79)
Paper Moon (74-75)
The Paul Lynde Show (72-73)
Salvage 1 (79)
The Swiss Family Robinson (75-76)
Temperatures Rising (72-74)
The Tony Randall Show (76-78)
240 Robert (79-81)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As I began to re-examine my list, it occurred to me how small (8 titles) it really is compared to what it might have looked like 5 years ago (very long I'm sure). An awful lot has been released and even if I never get any of these I listed in the original post, I am very thankful for what I have been able to get. They are quite a few titles I never expected in my wildest dreams I would see released.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Since most of "Hawaiian Eye" is out there on Warner's streaming service does that count or does this topic refer only to physical media such as DVD and bluray?

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Blue Light,Cade's County,T.H.E. Cat,Apple's Way &Chico & The Man.Mccloud complete with correct season 1.Baretta continue ascomplete release.Finish Police Woman and Police Story.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Let me add that I'd love to see S3 of The White Shadow also.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Harold Robbins' The Survivors - I think it disappeared after its short 1969 run

Richard Diamond complete - there are a few episodes missing from the homemade sets floating around

Finish Gunsmoke (Seasons 10-20) in my lifetime

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
77 Sunset Strip, Surfside Six, Bourbon Street Beat, Richard Diamond, Hawaiian Eye, Run For Your Life, T.H.E. Cat, Tightrope.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Stalled
Burke's Law
The Big Valley
Bob Newhart Show
Love Boat
Fantasy Island
Ironside
McCloud
Marcus Welby, MD
Hart To Hart
One Step Beyond
Barnaby Jones
Sergeant Bilko

Unreleased
Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle
Burns And Allen
Jack Benny (the regular filmed episodes in the syndicated package)
Operation Petticoat
CPO Sharkey (include as a bonus Johnny Carson barging in during a taping to berate Rickles over breaking his cigarette box!)
The Rogues
Batman (though its lower priority due to the quality of my boot)
Green Hornet (ditto)
Lottery
Crazy Like A Fox

Some titles I know will finish through Warner Archive over time (FBI, Dr.Kildare, Maverick). They will likely have interesting titles to sample down the line but I don't call them grails.

One grail in the "released but should be fixed" category is "The Odd Couple". CBS/Paramount should redo Seasons 3-5 and present them truly UNCUT with no music replacement/edits!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Kaz
The Mississippi
Barnaby Jones
O'Hara, U.S. Treasury
Kraft Suspense Theatre
The Name of the Game
The Magician
Petrocelli
The Richard Boone Show
Judd for the Defense
T.J. Hooker
Mike Hammer
Hagen
Noboby's Perfect (Universal)
Crazy Like a Fox

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
HenryDuBrow said:
Kaz
The Mississippi
Barnaby Jones
O'Hara, U.S. Treasury
Kraft Suspense Theatre
The Name of the Game
The Magician
Petrocelli
The Richard Boone Show
Judd for the Defense
T.J. Hooker
Mike Hammer
Hagen
Noboby's Perfect (Universal)
Crazy Like a Fox
Another one I'd forgotten! :lol:

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
My list is radically different from what it would have been a year ago since I no longer need to put Mama's Family, Flo, Hazel, Dobie Gillis, Mary Hartman or Petticoat Junction on it (I'm not including shows in progress /unstalled shows (Alice, Eight is Enough, etc.) that will likely be completed, but here's my Top Ten:

IT'S A LIVING - Snowball's chance in h*ll with Paul Kreppel singing snippets of popular songs in nearly all of the 130 episodes made. I'd even take just the first 3 years with Ann Jillian but Never Gonna Happen. So glad I finally have the entire run minus one episode; makes that fact more bearable.

MAUDE - A show many on this forum love to hate (but halfway in, the writers dropped the political agenda for the most part and went for straight comedy--some of the best-written and played of its era). Again, I have a bootleg set and my old TV Land VHS tapes but an official series set would be awesome (Star Vista, are you listening?). Sony and Shout have both stated music rights are too expensive for potential sales targets.

ONE DAY AT A TIME - Most of the series' best episodes came in Seasons 2 and 3. I'd settle for just those, but would buy the whole enchilada, even the Howard Hesseman eps. S1 sold way below expectations and there are music issues, but this, like "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" is one of the few hit '70s sitcoms Sony has left to complete. Perhaps someday they will at least give it one more try with S2.

POLICE WOMAN - Every time I pop this one in my DVD player, I have to exclaim "God, I miss the '70s!". Did poorly for Shout, so Sony's MOD program is our only hope for more Pepper and Co.

THE DONNA REED SHOW - We have the Shelley years and are now stuck with Trisha, but the later seasons have the late great Bob Crane, so it's a tradeoff. I really hope MPI can score this from Sony.

PHYLLIS - In the minority for sure, but I always preferred the MTM trilogy in the opposite order of it's popularity, so "Phyllis" is my favorite of the three followed by "Rhoda", then "Mary". This one only has a chance if "Rhoda" gets unstalled first.

MURPHY BROWN - Like "It's a Living", another WB show that we'll never see due to music in nearly every episode. Not as big of a want as it was now that I scored the complete series on a Torrent site, but would still like but it nontheless.

GREEN ACRES - Boggles the mind that such a popular hit/cult favorite is only half-complete on DVD. Since BH and PJ recently got unstalled by CBS, there's still hope for this one.

THE FACTS OF LIFE - All the best seasons have been released IMO, but I would still pick up the rest for completion's sake--even if the last year and some of S7 are nearly unwatchable (S8 actually improved somewhat with the arrival of Cloris). Sony says music clearances are too expensive and Shout reps state they actually lost money on S5. Small but vocal fanbase keeps asking for this one, but IMO chances are slim.

MY THREE SONS - Another show I own complete via bootleg, but the transfers done by CBS were amazing! Too bad they ruined it by re-dubbing the score. With 10 more seasons left to go, and CBS releasing split-seasons, this one's too cumbersome an undertaking for them to resume IMO.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - Not really Grail shows, but I'd pick these up in a heartbeat:

ANGIE - The wonderful Debralee Scott brightened everything in which she appeared.
THE PAUL LYNDE SHOW - For the sheer curiosity and ludicrousness of seeing the sneering "Center Square" cast as a family man.
JULIA - Diahann Carroll's groundbreaking 1968-71 series.
HOT L BALTIMORE - Controversial curiosity from Norman Lear
ALL THAT GLITTERS - See above (and with a pre-"Dallas" Linda Gray cast as a transsexual).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Probably not grail material as I've got plenty to view, but some shows I'd like to revisit...

Additional season releases of Police Story and

The Flip Wilson Show
Ed
On the Air
Karen Sisco

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks