What's new

Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew Mysteries - Are they any good? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Forgive me if there is another thread sort of addressing this topic, but I saw the first two volumes of this on sale at Target recently, and I was wondering if they are any good. I am a big fan of other Universal produced mysteries in the 1970s (Columbo, McCloud, Ellery Queen), but I never watched these in there original run primarily due to being turned off by the "teen idol" appeal of Shaun Cassidy and his music. However, as I have aged I have softened, and I also found I liked the Disney Hardy Boys and WB Nancy Drew very much. What do people think?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
JoeDoakes said:
Forgive me if there is another thread sort of addressing this topic, but I saw the first two volumes of this on sale at Target recently, and I was wondering if they are any good. I am a big fan of other Universal produced mysteries in the 1970s (Columbo, McCloud, Ellery Queen), but I never watched these in there original run primarily due to being turned off by the "teen idol" appeal of Shaun Cassidy and his music. However, as I have aged I have softened, and I also found I liked the Disney Hardy Boys and WB Nancy Drew very much. What do people think?
Joe,

Hardy Boys,

There are some really good episodes with the Hardy Boys, especially the witches hollow. The witches hollow is one episode that was pointed out to me on another thread that it was based on the book

S3 is when the Hardy Boys became part of the Justice Department and there are some good episodes, especially the last kiss one

Ellery Queen,

Ellery Queen it is very good, especially if you like tv shows that allow you to help solve the crime. Ellery Queen comes on near the end and says do you know who did it?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
It's funny that this topic would come up. I have owned season 1 for years, but just bought season 2 this week at target and am happy that it - unlike the season 1 that I own - has one sided discs.

I like 70s detective shows as well and this show is fun (or should I say these shows are fun), though a little cheesy, but overall I think the stories are good.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
That's good to know. I might have to pick that up. I don't trust double sided ones.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well had to dig this topic up because I just picked up Season 1 (the 2013 DVD edition) of this 70s iconic TV series. One of the few times I still buy DVD (no Blu-ray available, no digital download). I was quite happy with my Partridge Family DVD pickups and now this trip down memory lane back when I was a teen boy taken with the feather haired lovelies of the day (why don't girls try feathering their hair today, it is such a beautiful & sophisticated style); Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Denise Miller and of course Pamela Sue Martin.

Off to 70s Super Sleuth land, even if I have to view it on my HD laptop.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kyrsten Brad said:
Well had to dig this topic up because I just picked up Season 1 (the 2013 DVD edition) of this 70s iconic TV series. One of the few times I still buy DVD (no Blu-ray available, no digital download). I was quite happy with my Partridge Family DVD pickups and now this trip down memory lane back when I was a teen boy taken with the feather haired lovelies of the day (why don't girls try feathering their hair today, it is such a beautiful & sophisticated style); Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Denise Miller and of course Pamela Sue Martin.

Off to 70s Super Sleuth land, even if I have to view it on my HD laptop.

Hardy Boys S3 was very disappointing to me. The episodes are fine, but picture quality was very poor.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
JoeDoakes said:
Brad here. Well I might have been one of only 10 teen boys in Aurora, Ohio who actually liked Shaun Cassidy's music. Then again I liked David Cassidy's (Shaun's half-brother) music as well.

Anyway as I mentioned earlier, I picked up Season 1 (found at a Wal-Mart for $9.99) and so far have thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it is only a DVD. And now while shopping on Amazon for a audio/visual A-B switch, I threw in Season 2 into the cart (OK, I paid $14.99 for that one).

One can never get enough of Pamela Sue Martin.

As for Season 3, I'll keep an eye out for it but right now Amazon wants a arm, leg and two fingers from my remaining arm for it.

HardyBoys_NancyDrew_S1.jpg

HardyBoys_NancyDrew_S2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks