Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

All Is Lost

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 02 2013 - 12:33 PM

Robert Redford gives a great performance in this one man movie about a man, his sailboat and a string of terrible events. Expect an Oscar nomination

There is very little dialog but lots of visual flair in this very unique film. I saw with a friend who just got his sailing certification and he said the film is very accurate in its portrayal of sailing and how to cope with dire circumstances.

I give it *** out of ****
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 08 2013 - 03:06 PM

It seems some people are beating the hell out of the "logic" in this film much like some are doing with GRAVITY.  It's funny but both movies share a lot in common with just one being in space and the other out at sea. 

I thought it was one of the year's best movies.  I thought it was just an emotionally devastating picture that manages to have a lot of tension but also some really depressing moments.  With that said, it's also quite inspirational.  The cinematography, direction and music score were all flawless.  As for Redford, this is certainly a wonderful performance and especially since he gets perhaps two lines of dialogue.  This here is basically a silent movie so without the lines we're just basically seeing the character's emotions and fears from Redford's eyes.  If there's not an Oscar-nomination I'd be shocked.

Tino, I'm interested in your opinion (as well as others as they see the film) on the ending:

Spoiler

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 08 2013 - 04:36 PM

It seems some people are beating the hell out of the "logic" in this film much like some are doing with GRAVITY.  It's funny but both movies share a lot in common with just one being in space and the other out at sea. 

I thought it was one of the year's best movies.  I thought it was just an emotionally devastating picture that manages to have a lot of tension but also some really depressing moments.  With that said, it's also quite inspirational.  The cinematography, direction and music score were all flawless.  As for Redford, this is certainly a wonderful performance and especially since he gets perhaps two lines of dialogue.  This here is basically a silent movie so without the lines we're just basically seeing the character's emotions and fears from Redford's eyes.  If there's not an Oscar-nomination I'd be shocked.

Tino, I'm interested in your opinion (as well as others as they see the film) on the ending:

Spoiler

Michael

Spoiler

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 08 2013 - 04:39 PM

Apparently the director says

Spoiler
which might be where some of the talk started. 

Spoiler

With that said, the majority of the people leaving the theater today seemed to agree with you.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 09 2013 - 06:58 AM

Do you have s link to the director saying that?

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted November 12 2013 - 10:47 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted November 12 2013 - 10:49 AM

Here's one of the interviews:

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,468 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 01:30 PM

Spoiler

Edited by Elizabeth S, November 12 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 12 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the link John.  There were a couple good quotes in there from Redford.

Spoiler

Edited by Michael Elliott, November 12 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:23 PM

I just saw this film and enjoyed it very much.  Very similar to Gravity.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:27 PM

I just saw this film and enjoyed it very much.  Very similar to Gravity.

Never thought of it that way but youre right.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,747 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 03:31 PM

I just saw this and thought it was an amazing film.   Robert Redford in a nearly silent role, but the show of emotions of his character reveal much about him over the course of the film.  I predict an Oscar nomination for best actor in his future.  Can't wait to get this on Blu-Ray....hopefully with audio commentary by Redford.

Grade-A

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,747 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 03:47 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

housekeeping 2.jpg

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,747 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 02:21 PM

I just noticed this had an estimated production budget of a meager $9 million, and as of the past week has made only about $5 mil.

Truly saddening.  Redford is one of the greatest actors of our time.  He isn't seen much in cinema these days( he hasn't made many films since Legal Eagles)in a fantastic role that is both an adventure story, and an introspective character study.....and it bombs!

I truly hope he gets a best actor Oscar so more people discover this quiet gem of a film.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted December 28 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yeah this one here just didn't catch on and it really didn't get to expand much since the numbers were so low.  This is why I get so pissed off when people bitch about remakes, sequels or "bad" movies.  There are many great ones out there and people just don't go to them. 

• TravisR and Bryan^H like this

#16 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 29 2013 - 01:30 AM

I just noticed this had an estimated production budget of a meager $9 million, and as of the past week has made only about $5 mil.

Truly saddening.  Redford is one of the greatest actors of our time.  He isn't seen much in cinema these days( he hasn't made many films since Legal Eagles)in a fantastic role that is both an adventure story, and an introspective character study.....and it bombs!

I truly hope he gets a best actor Oscar so more people discover this quiet gem of a film.

Part of the problem is that it didn't play in very many theaters.  It never played close to my local.  Its BD release date is 02-11-18, which will be my opportunity to view it

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted December 29 2013 - 06:48 AM

It will probably get one last push into theaters once the Oscar noms are announced. And Redford will get nominated. Count on it.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted December 29 2013 - 12:46 PM

SAG members didn't nominate him. That his own peers wouldn't recognize Redford's superb acting is baffling.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted December 29 2013 - 09:31 PM

Its lack if appeal in the big markets kept it from going any wider. Not sure if the Oscar nomination is going to add too much business. Again, this just isn't the type of film that's going to appeal to many. Redford was in another good film tho year that didn't do too well. At work there was a "best of...." Thing done at work and I can't tell you how many people put GROWN UPS 2 as their favorite movie of the year.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 30 2013 - 08:37 AM

At work there was a "best of...." Thing done at work and I can't tell you how many people put GROWN UPS 2 as their favorite movie of the year.

I could see #2 or 3 but #1? :)

In all fairness, I shouldn't make fun of Grown Ups 2 since I haven't seen it.

• cafink likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users