• This topic is locked This topic is locked
227 replies to this topic

#221 of 228 BPullen

BPullen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 01:32 PM

Clue #7: The actor Paul Douglas was cast in Billy Wilder's The Apartment (1960) as Mr. Sheldrake but died before filming. He played the original Harry Brock in the stage version. Hence, he "was not invited."

Clue #8: You guys got that one.

Clue #9: I was making a direct tie to Yesterday director George Cukor. Whale and Cukor were later known for their social lives but also had many similarities in approach. Cukor directed women. He's known as the "Woman's director."  Again hence, "a James Whale of fairer things. Well there you go.

Edited by BPullen, November 07 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#222 of 228 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 11,986 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 07 2013 - 01:37 PM

These are clues not a doctoral thesis. I keep telling myself that. :)

I made the comparison for your convenience. Start laughing, I know. Joe Eszterhas is renown for writing that big money script as was Kanin in his day. This was my take.

I get it, it was an obscure way to say it was an expensive script. If timing of said clue, then, was up in the air...you coulda said..

Eszterhas comes twice or thrice(which would have come up with even more obscure movies...)

#223 of 228 Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 04:22 PM

I thought it was supposed to be an MGM/UA-owned film. As far as I know Born Yesterday is a Columbia (Sony)-owned film. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Born Yesterday is a terrific addition to the Twilight Time label.

When it comes to this game, however, I thought the clues were too obscure for some of us, considering the right answer came only after the hints gave everything away. 

When this second round started it was fun but it quickly became frustrating, IMHO.

Nevertheless, this whole guessing-game structure is terrific and will get even better with a little more polishing.

I'd like to thank Mr. Pullen as he is a terrific host indeed!

#224 of 228 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 07 2013 - 05:03 PM

I thought it was perfect. Clues shoild be very hard to start then get easier as it takes longer.

In the beginnjng I had no clue but the clues and guesses kept me interested enough to keep checking back and doing my tiny bit of "research".

facebook.com/whotony

#225 of 228 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 07 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm sorry, but clues 4 and 6 were way too tenuous for my tastes.  Difficult is one thing, but obtuse is something else.  But it was fun for a while, and I do congratulate Mr. Pullen for stumping this group!  And it certainly is a great title for TT.

#226 of 228 BPullen

BPullen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 06:50 PM

I thought it was supposed to be an MGM/UA-owned film. As far as I know Born Yesterday is a Columbia (Sony)-owned film. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Born Yesterday is a terrific addition to the Twilight Time label.

When it comes to this game, however, I thought the clues were too obscure for some of us, considering the right answer came only after the hints gave everything away. 

When this second round started it was fun but it quickly became frustrating, IMHO.

Nevertheless, this whole guessing-game structure is terrific and will get even better with a little more polishing.

I'd like to thank Mr. Pullen as he is a terrific host indeed!

Probably the reason you thought that was many of the guesses I received were MGM/UA. If a guess was Fox, Sony, or MGM/UA, I would always say, "This is ..." I noticed some were starting to think it was MGM/UA and I did my best to discourage it. I never said what studio it came from. Never. My thanks to all of you for playing.

• JohnMor and sleroi like this

#227 of 228 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted November 07 2013 - 09:46 PM

You'll have my doctor bill within 10 days for the lingering psychological damage from that Eszterhas clue. :P

As it turns out, I was off the rails practically from the get-go, stuck on 'Ulysses S.' as the 'Grant' in question...but looking from him as a character in the film. 

Congratulations on a reel stumper Bruce!

• JohnMor likes this

#228 of 228 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,315 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 09:49 PM

I am going to close this thread.

We will hold our final game on Sunday.

We will attempt to make the clues somewhat easier, but understand, we don't

want the game to end within a day.

• battlebeast likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users