Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quality Doesn't Equal Sales

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 08:11 AM

It seems that the two biggest factors in determining which shows will sell well are familiarity and genre. The more a show has been seen and syndicated, the more people are familiar with it, the better it does. That's why shows like December Bride and Our Miss Brooks, while quite popular in their time, will never come out. They didn't have very much exposure the last few decades and never played on national cable networks like CBN or Nick at Nite. Next is genre. For whatever reason, anything western or science fiction, no matter how bad or how obscure, has a market. What doesn't do well are straight dramas and lesser known sitcoms. Doesn't matter how good they are, they just don't sell. Even a show like Room 222 which ran for 5 years, bombed on DVD. I know, they used old elements that looked like what we used to see on our local stations in the 70s. But still, how much more would it have sold if it looked great? A couple of hundred more? Maybe. I think the only hope for many shows is if the Warner Achive/Streaming model is adopted by the other majors. Not likely to ever happen, in my opinion, but one can dream.

• benbess likes this

#2 of 19 maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 08:40 AM

Neil you're probably right but there's always exception, Sgt. Bilko being the case. "The more a show has been seen and syndicated, the more people are familiar with it, the better it does". I think with Sgt Bilko, CBS/Paramount have been way too much demanding as far as sales go.

#3 of 19 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 774 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 11:46 AM

Next is genre. For whatever reason, anything western or science fiction, no matter how bad or how obscure, has a market. What doesn't do well are straight dramas and lesser known sitcoms. Doesn't matter how good they are, they just don't sell. Even a show like Room 222 which ran for 5 years, bombed on DVD.

(On a tangent).

Wonder if this is also the same reason why a lot of current first-run generic dramas, sitcoms, procedurals, etc ... are not released on bluray.

Edited by jcroy, November 02 2013 - 11:47 AM.

• benbess likes this

#4 of 19 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 12:26 PM

(On a tangent).

Wonder if this is also the same reason why a lot of current first-run generic dramas, sitcoms, procedurals, etc ... are not released on bluray.

Good point. I kinda like the soapy nighttime drama Nashville. It has some good music, and some good lookin' actors, and I might have picked it up on blu-ray if the price was right. But low and behold, there is no blu-ray. This makes your point that the wrong genres just won't sell. 

Sci fi sells, which is why CBS has invested millions in the complete rebuilding of Star Trek: The Next Generation on blu-ray, but dramas are a steeper climb. 

Even comedies have trouble. Iirc, the Mary Tyler Moore show first came out about 8 years ago on DVD, and the sales were not what was expected. After a couple of years even that show stalled out, although it was restarted and finished up a few years later. 

Even Westerns are not sure fire. It seems like there are a lot of Westerns that still aren't released, including even the later seasons of Bonanza (although probably those will come out eventually)....

#5 of 19 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 02:09 PM

I haven't seen Room 222 for a while, so maybe I am all wet, but my recollection of it is that it was very much rooted in its time, much more so than other shows of the era that are viewed today.

#6 of 19 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 02:18 PM

I haven't seen Room 222 for a while, so maybe I am all wet, but my recollection of it is that it was very much rooted in its time, much more so than other shows of the era that are viewed today.

The topical nature of the series makes it look very dated, much like Maude does today. I remember one particular episode about the kids being concerned with lowering the voting age to 18. That type of subject matter wouldn't ring much of a bell with many people today.

• benbess likes this

#7 of 19 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,505 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 03:14 PM

POPULAR

One aspect of the OP's comments is that it didn't take into account the fact that we have an large number of westerns, in part, because one company's owner was a personal fan of that genre.  Hey, if you want more dramas or second-tier sitcoms then recruit or pray for an advocate of that genre.  That's a big reason we have as many westerns as we do.  Perhaps someone can contact Ted Turner or some other mogul and encourage them to start a company that focuses on dvd releases of a specific genre.  :lol:

Gary "that last line was obviously a joke, but I'm serious about the rest of it" O.

• Steve...O, Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#8 of 19 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 774 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 06:15 PM

In the case of sci-fi, wonder what the motivating factor is for dvd/bluray sales.

If I had to guess, I would think there's a huge nerd or geek audience with disposable income willing to spend it on dvds/blurays.

• benbess likes this

#9 of 19 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 04:37 AM

Some episodes are dated and certainly rooted in the early 70s but more often than not, the episodes did focus on topics and situations that are just as relevant today as they were in 69-74. I was quite surprised by the first two seasons. I would have purchased the rest of the series if they were released.  

As for Neil's original post, I have to totally agree. I can't figure out what will or will not sell on DVD. I was very, very surprised that we got all 12 seasons of Hawaii Five-O.

Edited by Brian Himes, November 03 2013 - 04:43 AM.

• Ockeghem likes this

#10 of 19 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,957 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 04:48 AM

Brian,

Good points.  I watch Room 222 every now and then with my children to illustrate to a degree some of what was going on back in those days.  And like you, I would have purchased the remaining seasons had they been released.

Edited by Ockeghem, November 03 2013 - 04:56 AM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#11 of 19 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hawaii Five-O got the extra boost of the new version coming to CBS so even the weird final few seasons had enough exposure to be seen.

The sci-fi and western shows get an added boost by the various books over the years that focus on the shows.Even if these shows didn't play in reruns in your area, there was a curiosity factor thanks to images and raves from the authors. Thus when the DVDs for the show come out, the genre fan is eager to finally see it.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#12 of 19 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 774 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hawaii Five-O got the extra boost of the new version coming to CBS so even the weird final few seasons had enough exposure to be seen.

(On a similar parallel in terms of public exposure).

Wonder if the publicity of Robert Blake's arrest and trial, were the main motivations for releasing season 1 of Baretta back in 2002.  (As well as an easy way to "test" if there was a decent enough market for non-cult generic cop shows.  Before 2002, Universal wasn't releasing many tv show season sets).

#13 of 19 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 08:34 AM

(On a similar parallel in terms of public exposure).

Wonder if the publicity of Robert Blake's arrest and trial, were the main motivations for releasing season 1 of Baretta back in 2002.  (As well as an easy way to "test" if there was a decent enough market for non-cult generic cop shows.  Before 2002, Universal wasn't releasing many tv show season sets).

It was and it was an idiotic marketing idea. Trying to sell a show about a cop while the actor was on trial for murder. Don't know who that genius was but the sales were horrible (less than 5 figures). Maybe now, a decade removed, it might do decently but the timing on that one was awful.

#14 of 19 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:15 AM

regarding room 222 - i dont agree with the dated angle.

it was a good show.

there is an episode about the voting age ?  i think that is very relevant.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to equate that with fighting for some other justice of the day, whatever that may be.

i would say that above any other factor, the most important factor for why most shows last or not - is how well do they depict the human situation ?

it does not have to be family shows.  leave it to beaver and star trek are both very good at depicting the human situation, and are as about as opposite a show as one could find.

#15 of 19 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,327 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:18 AM

Room 222 is just a sad case. I watched it all first run, and recall those gorgeous network prints. When it began in syndication, (probably when the show was still airing), we were getting extremely crummy 16mm prints. They were so bad the beautiful theme song was warbling. I was hoping the DVD would go back to the original 35mm prints but it appears they did not. So I didn't buy it.

#16 of 19 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:28 AM

now that i understand how the size of the film makes a difference in the clarity, i dont think we will have many more 16 mm releases.

with all the stuff available in much better clarity, not too many people are gonna be willing to view stuff in 16mm.

i recently viewed some stuff with the original tv clarity.  that is so poor compared to the dvd releases now, that i have no interest in viewing tv clarity, any more.

i think we will eventually have a good release of 222.

#17 of 19 Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:31 AM

I was also disappointed with the overall lack of video quality on Room 222, although (IIRC) there were a handful of episodes that looked great.  A tremendous show that needs a cleaned-up, full series release.

I'm actually quite surprised by the number of obscure shows that get released at all.  I never thought I'd own Monster Squad, The Mothers-In-Law and Pat Paulsen's Half A Comedy Hour, just to name a few.

#18 of 19 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 08:26 PM

I was also disappointed with the overall lack of video quality on Room 222, although (IIRC) there were a handful of episodes that looked great.  A tremendous show that needs a cleaned-up, full series release.

Yes, there were a couple of episodes (the first two, if I remember correctly) on disc three of season one that were in pristine condition. The colors just popped. During the opening theme the grass actually looked green.

I agree, the show is in need of a serious clean up and restoration.

#19 of 19 Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 03:41 AM

I sometimes look at my collection & think about having an evening of Room 222 & M Squad just to see if my eyes can take it!

I've posted before that Room 222 was a blind buy for me but I really fell in love with the show. I love it for it's charm & overall direction as the fact it is such a period piece! I enjoy shows that are snapshots of a specific era.

I remember seeing promos for the show in the 80's. The colors were so washed out. That & no laugh track turned me off at the time. I do hope it can be restored one day. That along with Police Story are shows I only have one season of but really enjoyed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users