Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

It's starting! Black Friday And Cyber Monday Deals Already Announced

2013 Black Friday

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 of 94 lvicious

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted November 29 2013 - 09:34 AM

Biggest thing I have to remind myself is there are quite a few movies I can wait for BF to purchase.. just a matter of thinking which ones will be on sale.. hit and miss?  Some I want day one whether for the movie, 3D or even the slipcover.

..by the way there were tons of BR's at my BestBuy with slips in the bin's.  There were just too many movies I purchased this year from August to early Nov. that were on sale during Black Friday and this isn't my first dance so I had that feeling of.. what were you thinking lol.  Necessity .. what can wait and what cannot.  I did not pull the trigger on any PS4 deals though.  I am going to enjoy my ps3 and Gran Turismo 6 for awhile until The Division comes out.

'You see, god and I have a very special relationship: I don't do stupid things, he doesn't kill me."

#82 of 94 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have cut back on my movie purchases during the year because it always seems so many of them go on sale on BF. Of course even if you wait six months these the price seems to drop considerably so even it is not a BF deal a better price is to be had by waiting.

#83 of 94 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,605 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just picked up the U.S. version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO for $9 on Amazon.

A title I had been wanting for quite some time.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#84 of 94 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted November 29 2013 - 02:29 PM

I was cured of going to walmart last year.  That was surreal and I left with nothing. 

Having a greater time shopping on line.  Of course, I'm not after anything big ticket.  A few games for my PC and some flicks and shows.  Enjoying the hell out of Trek TOS remastered enhanced.  I had no idea I'd like them so much after reading comments on the net like "the redone effects are like a playstion 2 game!!".  Glad the old versions are in the set too, but the new stuff makes it feel new again.  They actually did a great job.  I don't think I'll have to buy Trek TOS anymore.  Well...what if they 3D them?  :unsure:

I've almost picked up those ST:TOS sets several times as it's a top 10 favorite program - BUT - I remind myself the BR sets have frequently been as cheap as the DVD sets and hold off knowing I'll be getting a BR player at some point so I should just wait.  I figure they'll all go OOP just as soon as I finally get a BR player...

So far I've spent *way* too much on sales from foxconnect, WB, VEI, and Amazon.  I've not ventured out except to pick up the paper and get the mail.  It's been very nice!

#85 of 94 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,597 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 03:48 PM

Typically I buy a bunch of the $1.96 DVDs and $3.96 Blu-rays at Wal-mart to give away at my workplace, but I told folks last year that it'd probably be the last year of the give-away since I was stuck having to buy DVDs for some people (not on the BD train yet, still), and those with BD players, and it just wasn't fun anymore being stuck in between 2 formats.  Sure, some BD titles also have a DVD in them, but not enough for my give aways.  So I just shopped for myself at Wal-mart last night, and showing up around 11pm or midnight was good enough to find some deals on the $3.96 BDs, though I even splurged on 2 of the $6.96 titles (The Big Lebowski with some cool book-like packaging, and Cloud Atlas).  So I bought almost $80 worth of the cheap BDs last night.

Also picked up the $6 Pacific Rim BD (bought a couple to hand out to my officemates), and a few $3.99 BDs from Best Buy.  Also bought two 3TB hard drives from Best for $99.99 each, which should be enough for backing up my photos for 2014.  I did the same in 2013, so I was okay with getting the storage for photos issue squared away.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#86 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,675 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 29 2013 - 04:02 PM

Light BF for me

Although I did pick up Pacific Rim from Amazon for $7.99.

And I picked up a 3TB Toshiba HDD from Adorama via eBay last night for $82.99.

And, a Ryobi Cordless drill (with two LI batteries) for $79.99 at Home Depot today.

And, a stainless steel 1.2 cubic foot Kenmore microwave from Sears for $89 (half price).

Oh.  Ummmmmm.  Maybe not such a light day after all.  :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#87 of 94 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,490 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 29 2013 - 04:15 PM

You can always return them if the buyers remorse becomes too much. :)

Actually, I went back today and spent another $40. :blush:

Then I went to Big Lots and spent another $40 or so on more blu's and DVD's. :blush: :blush:

I think I might have a problem. :biggrin:

If there are titles you know are on the Black Friday sale at Walmart, but there are not any more copies in the promo area, you might be able to find a copy in the regular Electronics section if it's a recent title they carry in-store. These will usually ring up at the promo sale price.

When I went back today, I wanted Monsters University but there were no more in the promo area. I picked one up in the Electronics area and it still scanned for $9.96. It was even the combo pack with the digital copy (I think the promo version was just the Blu/DVD combo).

I did the same last year with Big Bang Theory S5, when there were no more copies in the promo boxes.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#88 of 94 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,004 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 29 2013 - 04:28 PM

After work, I stopped by a local Walmart again and scoured the Black Friday bins for Person of Interest: The Complete Second Season on Blu-Ray. Satisfied that I had exhausted my possibilities for getting the $9.96 price, I just bit the bullet and bought it from Amazon at the $23.99 price. Given the price history for the first season, I can't imagine it going lower than that again until maybe next year's Black Friday week.

Just picked up the U.S. version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO for $9 on Amazon.

A title I had been wanting for quite some time.

Thanks for pointing this one out, Ron! I enjoyed it when I rented it, significantly more than the Swedish original, and after that it just sort of fell off my radar. I clicked on your link at work to add it to my cart, but then waited until I got home a couple hours later to checkout. Hopefully HTF still gets the affiliate commission for it.

And, a Ryobi Cordless drill (with two LI batteries) for $79.99 at Home Depot today.

Is it the 18-Volt One+ Lithium-Ion Drill Kit? I got that for my dad for his birthday back in October for $89.00 and he absolutely loves it. Says it's the best cordless drill he's ever had.

#89 of 94 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 29 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've almost picked up those ST:TOS sets several times as it's a top 10 favorite program - BUT - I remind myself the BR sets have frequently been as cheap as the DVD sets and hold off knowing I'll be getting a BR player at some point so I should just wait.  I figure they'll all go OOP just as soon as I finally get a BR player...

So far I've spent *way* too much on sales from foxconnect, WB, VEI, and Amazon.  I've not ventured out except to pick up the paper and get the mail.  It's been very nice!

I've been watching more Trek than I've watched in a long time becuase of these things!  I started on patterns of force, since I left off there on the old.  Just today I took in The Ultimate Computer.  A brilliant episode if you ask me.  The enhanced stuff is fantastic!  I love all the space battle stuff, looks great.  When photons are launched in that one scene it actually feels more substantial than before. 

One thing I noticed is how Mr. Spock just looks better.  He has much more of a greenish look.  I used to think he just looked pale.  But now he looks right.  I find myself listening to Spock much more than I used to.  he really is an amazing character.

It's funny how it all just feels new again.  I've watched these since the 70s, so it's funny to feel this way about the show again.  I think even Roddenberry might like the new effects. 

(... hoping people don't start throwing dead tribbles at me for saying such things! but... ) 

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#90 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,675 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 29 2013 - 08:07 PM

Is it the 18-Volt One+ Lithium-Ion Drill Kit? I got that for my dad for his birthday back in October for $89.00 and he absolutely loves it. Says it's the best cordless drill he's ever had.

As a matter-of-fact...yes!  :biggrin:

I bought a really cheap off-brand cordless drill at Lowe's a couple of years ago and one of the batteries has already died.  I can't find a way to get a replacement anywhere.  I'm not sure the manufacturer is even still in business...So, time to go to a good brand.  I loved the last one and figure a better one will be...better.  :laugh:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#91 of 94 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 05:06 AM

Amazon has the Bond 50 blu ray set for $99 today.

http://www.amazon.co...rd_p=1673798022

Best Buy has many of the Bond titles available individually for $3.99.

http://www.bestbuy.c...&nrp=50&qp=&sp=

#92 of 94 lvicious

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted November 30 2013 - 08:44 AM

Did not think I'd spend more cash but went to pick up 2 of my BR titles at the store and also bought the Stargate 15th Anniv. Edition Steelbook and Hero (Jet Li) Steelbook.  There were no pricetags on these but it had a general 19.99 price for all steelbooks in this section.

Went to the front to check out and they ran up 9.99.  Didn't ask any questions lol... so I have no idea if it was a fluke in their system but now I wish I'd had picked up more.

Edited by lvicious, November 30 2013 - 08:45 AM.

'You see, god and I have a very special relationship: I don't do stupid things, he doesn't kill me."

#93 of 94 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,490 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 30 2013 - 01:23 PM

Walmart had a number of steelbook editions in their $3.96 sale. I purchased Serenity, Hulk, and Paul. I also saw Doom, The Mummy, Hellboy II, and Death Race.

Edited by Malcolm R, November 30 2013 - 01:24 PM.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#94 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,675 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 30 2013 - 05:49 PM

And my wife ran into Wal-Mart for a grocery item today and I picked over what was left in their Black Friday DVD/Blu display.

Added to my overall BF haul by picking up Gatsby for $9.96.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2013 Black Friday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users