What's new

Need Guidance on Setting Up a New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm so glad to be part of this group!

I'm currently in the process of setting up my first home theater, so please treat me as a total beginner! I've been researching for a few weeks and really could use some help on the setup.

What I want:
A dedicated home theater which provides great sound and visual for movie, TV, sports and video games.

What I have:
A newly finished 22x14 basement family room, very minimal ambient light.
5 buried audio cable, 3 on the front wall (14 feet), 1 on each side wall.
Panasonic DMP-BDT230 blu-ray player
Xbox 360 and Wii
Dish Satellite box
ipod and ipad

Things I've picked:

Projector: Epson 5020UB, based on its overall performance and review. Don't see the need for the new 5030 for $250 more. Is it good enough or is it a over kill? What about 3020 or other brands?

Screen: 150" Carada Precision Classic Cinema White. It will take up majority of my front wall but I really want a big screen. Would I need a higher gain screen due to the size and throw distance (15')? I would do

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as the 16awg(why not 12?) is CL2.

I like UPS personally. Depending which you get, power conditioning is a side benefit. All UPS are surge. (I put in an entire house surge/UPS for $1200+ the cost of the battery array. I also have a LP generator...but that is another story)

Professional for the projector and screen? Depends if you want to get dirty.

By low profile...do you mean short? Or something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/KEF-T305-Home-Theater-System/dp/B004CX9L4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383341801&sr=1-1&keywords=kef+t305+home+theater+system (Def Tech Mythos is along the same lines)

As far as AVR. What is your budget there? Which ones did you look at?
Onkyo 525, 626, 727, 828, 929, 1010, 3010 or 5010?
Denon X1000/2000/3000/4000 or 4520?

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
This is the entire marking on the wire: COLEMAN CABLE 94662 16 AWG 2/C C(ETL)US 3023226 TYPE CM/CL3/FPL/PLTC DIRECT BURIAL AUDIO CABLE SUN RES -- TYPE CMH FT1

Any particular UPS model?

By low profile, I mean black and non-reflective. I like the look of KEF ones you picked. I'll look into those. Anything else similar? What about GoldenEar? Also good or a overkill?

I actually looked at Onkyo 717 and Denon 2313, older models, better value. Do I need to go with the newest model? Budget wise,

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
Didn't know surge protectors cost quite a bit...Are my wires ok?Thank you for giving me those brands, I'll take a look.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
Another question: would you recommend floor standing speakers with built-in subwoofers? If so, do I need to route a separate cable for the LFE?

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
I see.

What about Def Tech's speakers? Are they much different from GoldenEar's at similar price level? Given they were founded by the same people.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sure if Goldenear really does their LFE input any differently that Def Tech does.

The one with Def Tech is merely for show. Yes, it provides additional gain, but not frequency response(is says that right in the OM once you get through the "tech-ease")

The Tech Sheet for Goldenear says "Hookup is as simple as just speaker wire, and there is a separate
LFE input if desired." Which tells me theirs is merely for show as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reading the OM for the Triton Three...

IT suggests you use "large" for the front speaker setting no matter what.

Then the .1 can be routed into the LFE. Since there is no indication as to what the frequency response is of the subwoofer section...assume all the LFE is doing is providing additional gain.

impanda

Grip
Real Name
Ethan
I'm assuming you were talking about the tweeter design... it seems like domes are more traditional and easier to make compared to ribbons. One does not necessarily sound better than the other, right?

I really like the thin and clean look of Def Tech and GoldenEar. But I'm a little concerned about Def Tech's bipolar design since I'll be putting the speakers at the corners of my front wall. GoldenEar is new and seems to have unrealistic great reviews. Which would you suggest? Anything else with similar look at similar price range?

AVR-wise, Onkyo 717 seems to be a good deal at $450 compared to 818 or the newer models. As far as I can see, wi-fi and Bluetooth can be made up by USB dongles and 4K upscale isn't something I'll be using in a few years... Did Onkyo drop THX certs on their new models? Would 717 be a good fit for the speakers we have been discussing?

Thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
impanda said:
I'm assuming you were talking about the tweeter design... it seems like domes are more traditional and easier to make compared to ribbons. One does not necessarily sound better than the other, right?
That is between you and your ears only. I have, in my 4 theatres...(listing main channel only)
Infinity Crescendo 3007
DCM TF600
BIC V830(not to be confused with the current DV line)
Polk S6

All 4 sound great. And different.

I really like the thin and clean look of Def Tech and GoldenEar. But I'm a little concerned about Def Tech's bipolar design since I'll be putting the speakers at the corners of my front wall. GoldenEar is new and seems to have unrealistic great reviews. Which would you suggest? Anything else with similar look at similar price range?
No speaker is supposed to be jammed up against the wall. Unless designed to be. Jamming them up on the wall? Buy the KEF T or Def Tech Mythos.

AVR-wise, Onkyo 717 seems to be a good deal at $450 compared to 818 or the newer models. As far as I can see, wi-fi and Bluetooth can be made up by USB dongles and 4K upscale isn't something I'll be using in a few years... Did Onkyo drop THX certs on their new models? Would 717 be a good fit for the speakers we have been discussing?
The main plus for the 717 is it has pre-outs. The 818 adds the next better Audyssey version. There are other things that make up the price difference...but depends if you think any of the other added features help sway you to spend more money...

The Def Tech BP and Goldenear Triton are all 89db efficient and greater. Unless you are filling up a 40x40 room with 50 people in it trying to recreate Club54...you'll likely never pump any speaker with more than 25 watts. People suck SPL out of a room, cause we are "bags of water". More people...more power. You and your sig. other on the couch watching Elementary...you'd probably be blistering along at 5wpc. Yes...5.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks