What's new

deep space 9 question ? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am on season 3, disk 3 or 4.

not too many shows ago, i thought they sealed the wormhole.

and i dont quite recall for sure why - but it might have been to keep the dominion from coming thru.

in this current episode, they are working with cardassian scientists to set up some communications array.

and i think they just took the runabout thru the wormhole.

i have been watching these shows in order.

i dont recall anywhere when the wormhole was opened up again ?

i figure i must be wrong somewhere ?

the producers could not have made that big of a mistake !!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
From the Star Trek Wiki

n 2373, when a Dominion invasion became inevitable, Starfleet ordered the entrance to the wormhole be collapsed. Doctor Lenara Kahn of the Trill Science Ministry had devised a means, using a phase-conjugate graviton beam to seal the wormhole without causing damage to it or harming the Prophets. Deep Space 9 was able to rig the phase-conjugate beam by remodulating the station's deflector grid frequencies and projecting it through its graviton emitters. Unfortunately, when executed, it was discovered that the emitters were sabotaged and, as a result, the phase-conjugate graviton beam had the exact opposite effect on the wormhole, and rendered the wormhole's spatial matrix even more stable than before, so stable in fact that not even trilithium explosives could destroy the wormhole. Thus, Starfleet was unable to prevent a series of Dominion fleets from entering the Alpha Quadrant. (DS9: "In Purgatory's Shadow")

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi,

the episode that you refer to is supposedly the 14th episode of the 5th season.

i am just on the 3rd season.

i guess closing the wormhole has been a somewhat recurring theme ?

but i still dont think the producers could have made the mistake that i am talking about.

if you are not currently watching the series like i am, it may be pretty difficult to come up with an explanation for me.

but i thank you for the effort.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i did a little research and found the episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708637/

in this second episode of season 3, here is user review

In this episode we finally learn who Odo's people are, and as it turns out they are not the people Odo had hoped to find. Instead of sharing his sense of justice they just want order and as the leaders of the Dominion they are happy to have that order enforced in a fascist system. While Odo is getting to know his people it appears that the Dominion is involved in peace talks in the Alpha Quadrant although it looks more like a capitulation on the part of the Federation; they have agreed to leave DS9 and let the Dominion take over the Bajoran system and the worm hole. Things are not going well; The Romulans are threatening war as they have not been invited to the treaty talks and the Jem'Hadar are acting with impunity, in fact those assaulted by them are more likely to be in trouble with Star Fleet security than they are. Knowing this treaty will lead to disaster Sisko sets of to stop it the only way he can, he will collapse the worm hole and sever the link to the Gamma Quadrant. Back in the Gamma Quadrant Kira is trying to contact other survivors but finds the signal jammed by something on the planet, she tracks the source of the problem to an area behind a door; when Odo opens the door for her they and the audience are in for quite a surprise.
here, the reviewer states that sisko collapsed the wormhole, which is what i recall happening. i did not recall any mention of them opening it up again. or even if it could be opened up again.

but assuming that it could be, one would think that at the very least it would take a lot of doing, and take the better part of an episode to do so.

unless i slept thru an entire episode, or am getting an early onset of alzheimers, i have no memory of the wormhole being opened up again.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
gosh, i think i answered my own question, after reading the review again.

it can be understood in the last scene, when they open the door.

i will leave it at that, since i have my answer, and dont want to give away something for no reason.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If I'm understanding the question correctly, what happened in The Search part II (sealing the wormhole) never really happened. Sisko, Dax and the others were being put through a simulation to see what they would do if the Dominion got a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant. Therefore, the wormhole was not sealed in the beginning of S3.

I have no problems talking openly about this show now, since the last episode aired more than a decade ago at this point. And this episode in particular was even earlier.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
okay.

yes, that is correct.

i guess what happened for me - is that the sealing of the wormhole came first, and must have left a lasting impression on my mind, such that at some time later, i had forgotten that it had just been a mind test.

but when i re-read the review about the door, then i recalled everything !!

at this point, i am still waiting for the dominion to come get us !!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
jimmyjet said:
i guess what happened for me - is that the sealing of the wormhole came first, and must have left a lasting impression on my mind, such that at some time later, i had forgotten that it had just been a mind test.
Yup, and that's the first of many times for that particular course of action.
jimmyjet said:
at this point, i am still waiting for the dominion to come get us !!
You shall not be disappointed. :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
for me, the first 10 or so episodes were poorly written, and too one-dimensional.

but since then, there have been excellent stories, and good character development.

miles plays his part very well. i get a kick out of his sarcasm.

i like odo, bashir, quark and dax.

plus i also get a big kick out of garak - i always enjoy it when they have him in the show.

and gul de kat.

the only irritant for me is the voice of the nagus. usually it is not bothersome, cuz he is not in it very much.

but this last show centered around him, and that voice began to get on my nerves !!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They had problems, as all series do, in the first season. There wasn't any filmed episode for the writers to watch to get the character voices and it was all being created on the fly. So I give them a lot of lee way on that. The show is good from S1 to the end of S3 with some brilliant episodes. Starting in S4, the show is fantastic. Even the "bad" episodes are really good.

The weakest actor in the group is Terry Farrell, I think, looking at the entire series. Avery Brooks gets phenomenal once S4 hits. Andrew Robinson and Marc Alaimo are geniuses...and I even like Wallace Shawn as Zek. He is annoying, but he's so stupidly funny too.

This is quite a ride for you. I wish I could watch the show for the first time again!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The only truly bad episode of DS9 for me, and I feel it is the WORST Star Trek episode ever made, is PROFIT AND LACE.

DS9, taken as one 175-episode story, is in my opinion like THE GODFATHER part 2. It's actually better than part one (ST:TOS), but everyone likes the original best for sentimental reasons. :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i would agree with you about farrell possibly having the least skill.

but her character did not take great skill to do. and i think she portrayed it well.

my complaint about sisko is the same one that i have about riker and chakotay. there were times when i think they did a good job.

but there were too many times when they revert back to being themselves. to me, it is one of the best signs of how good an actor is.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Carabimero said:
The only truly bad episode of DS9 for me, and I feel it is the WORST Star Trek episode ever made, is PROFIT AND LACE.

DS9, taken as one 175-episode story, is in my opinion like THE GODFATHER part 2. It's actually better than part one (ST:TOS), but everyone likes the original best for sentimental reasons. :)
it is hard to compare the various star treks. but one thing can be said about the original - all the later shows have topics that were originally shown tos.

tos did a good job of taking a science fiction setting, and making an important statement about the human condition.

the interplay between kirk, spock, and mccoy was tremendous. while i enjoyed scotty and the rest of the supporting cast, i think most any decent actor could have done the job. but the main 3 would have been hard to replace.

in tng, data was the character that made that show. i think the relationship between him and picard and him and jordi were both very good, and extremely different. in that picard was his boss, and jordi his closest friend.

in voyager, the doctor and seven made that show. it was good before seven, but the development of those 2 characters was absolutely outstanding. the only ridiculous thing they did was in the last episode, where you learned that seven and chakotay got married.

that whole romance was dumb. the character of seven was custom made for the doctor, and it was a huge stretch that she would have fallen in love with chakotay.

so far in ds9, miles is superb in his character. i love it when he and bashir get together - they are so totally opposite that it is entertaining. odo is also sarcastic in his good way. i like kira, but she is a little over the top at times.

although i was disappointed with the startup of ds9, i knew it must eventually get much better. cuz it lasted 7 years and had to live up to a high level - the only thing that star trek fans would allow !!

i had seen various episodes here and there during its initial run, but it is completely new to me at this point.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
just watched through the looking glass.

where bashir ages in his mind.

1) is that really bashir playing that part ? he did a wonderful job.

2) and the make-up people did a wonderful job, as well. they made him look really old, but in a normal way.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Jimmy if you really want to get into DS9, arguably the best book ever written about a television show is THE DEEP SPACE NINE COMPANION. It has in-depth commentary, written at the time each episode was shot. Truly a magnificent book. When I watched the series for the second time on DVD, I had this book close at hand and it greatly enriched my entertainment and appreciation of the show. It's OOP but you should be able to find it used for a reasonable price. It's worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Space-Nine-Companion-Star/dp/0671501062.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
yea, that type of info certainly makes for better viewing and understanding.

i dont watch many of the special features, as i dont find them all that interesting.

if you have the "combat" dvds, they did a great job.

there were tons of interviews from the actors, directors and producers - giving wonderful insight into the show, what they were trying to accomplish, etc.

thanks for the tip on the ds9 book.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I do have the combat DVDs in the first boxed set release...still in the first season but loving it so far.

yeah if you ever find yourself coming back to DS9 a second time, you might pick up the book.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
jimmyjet said:
just watched through the looking glass.

where bashir ages in his mind.

1) is that really bashir playing that part ? he did a wonderful job.

2) and the make-up people did a wonderful job, as well. they made him look really old, but in a normal way.
Through the Looking Glass is the mirror universe episode; Distant Voices is the one where Bashir ages.

Yep, it was Siddig El Fadil (Alexander Siddig) who played Bashir throughout the episode.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
1) is dvdplanet a legitimate outfit ?

2) how did you guys find out ? are you on a mailing list ?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That DS9 Companion, along with the TNG one, are essential reading. I also go to Memory Alpha quite a bit just to refresh my memory on specific episodes and items.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks