What's new

Nikon's Df, a retro styled full frame DSLR (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes please!
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/28/nikon-df-camera-rumors-recap.aspx/

[*]The new camera will be called Nikon DF which stand for "Digital Fusion"
[*]Nikon FM2 like design, but with a larger pentaprism
[*]Most likely be available in two colors - all black and silver/black (a.k.a. as Panda version)
[*]Standard Nikon F-mount
[*]Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
[*]16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
[*]The AF system of the Nikon DF will be most likely the same as in the D610 with 39 points
[*]SD memory card
[*]2016-pixel RGB image sensor
[*]3D color matrix metering II
[*]Native ISO range: 100-12,800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 102,400)
[*]5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
[/list]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With Sony's full frame mirrorless announcement, this was inevitable. I'm sure Canon will not be far behind. I think it's a good strategy for me to continue to sit out the mirrorless market until everything shakes out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam, from what I am reading the Df is a dSLR, not a mirrorless camera. Looks like a full frame dSLR with retro style dial and button controls, ala a film SLR.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep, that's true, but that's not what was -rumored-. =)I don't think I can edit the thread titles or I would. Will alert a mod and ask them to change it for us.Anyway, I'm out on this one. If I didn't already have a D4 I would be first in line, as is tho it would be an expensive redundancy / backup for me.Still waiting on a D400 here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If Canon were to come out with such a camera, I'm not sure I would spend that much money on the novelty. I have grown quite accustomed to the ergonomics of the modern dSLR. Canon puts enough buttons on their higher end bodies that I rarely have to take my eye away from the viewfinder while shooting. That retro style seems like a step backwards in some ways.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I actually have my eye on the Olympus Stylus 1, as far as retro styled hybrid goes (at a more reasonable price).

olympus_stylus_1_preview_03.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, having access to a Nikon F3 HP, it's cool to fiddle with, but not ergonomically comfortable whatsoever.
Scott Merryfield said:
If Canon were to come out with such a camera, I'm not sure I would spend that much money on the novelty. I have grown quite accustomed to the ergonomics of the modern dSLR. Canon puts enough buttons on their higher end bodies that I rarely have to take my eye away from the viewfinder while shooting. That retro style seems like a step backwards in some ways.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Where is that danged D400??? Think I'm ripe for it now... :P

Would consider the D610, but not liking its small AF coverage among other lesser niggles -- odd that it also doesn't get the D7100's more advanced AF module either. All that plus we're only talking ~1 stop better SNR and DR, etc. over the D7100 it seems, which you'd lose back for vignetting and edge sharpness concerns and DoF's sake in most instances it seems -- plus I'd at least need a new, quality widezoom to replace my 17-55 f/2.8.

I'd just get the D7100 and wait for something better (probably in FX) later, but what's up w/ the crippled buffer for shooting RAW? I don't generally shoot sports or the like, but seems like it'll be a bit too easy to bump into that limit me thinks... Then again, I guess this entire line since the D70 wasn't designed for shooting many frames in RAW at high speed... -_- which brings me back to the long-awaited D400 (or maybe a D800h w/ somewhat bigger AF area coverage instead)... :huh:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks