What's new

Looking for some advise while picking up a receiver. (1 Viewer)

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
People I'm looking for a budget 3d ready 5.1 home theater. The systems that I'm considering are the following: 1) Pioneer VSX-522-K 2) RCA RT2781H 3) Pioneer HTP-071. I have a budget of around $200 and I'm willing to spend up to $400 to be divided into $200 monthly in two months. Can you give me your impressions about the systems I already mentioned? What's the best speaker system and receiver I can get for about $200 each? If you have in mind another receiver or speaker system that fits my budget please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks in advance!

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
BigLouis1971 said:
People I'm looking for a budget 3d ready 5.1 home theater. The systems that I'm considering are the following: 1) Pioneer VSX-522-K 2) RCA RT2781H 3) Pioneer HTP-071. I have a budget of around $200 and I'm willing to spend up to $400 to be divided into $200 monthly in two months. Can you give me your impressions about the systems I already mentioned? What's the best speaker system and receiver I can get for about $200 each? If you have in mind another receiver or speaker system that fits my budget please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks in advance!
The 522-k has the best review I ever saw so far!!! Read the two star review! I would suggest the Pioneer 822 for $ 218.00. Good luck.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
I'm almost convinced to get the Pioneer VSX-522-K but I'm not sure about what speakers should I get. Take into account that I'm in a tight budget and price is a crucial factor to me. I don't want to play the system extremely loud because I live in a apartment and have neighbors. I'm looking for sound clarity instead. To give you an idea about the volume level I'm happy with, I have a Memorex micro stereo system with 3" 2 way speakers hooked up to my HDTV output and despite the sound is not amazing I'm almost happy with it. It has a desirable volume level and sound is not that distorted but it lacks bass and is only 2.0 sound so I want to upgrade. Since I'm no audiophile I'm not sure if I'm covering a acceptable range of the spectrum with those speakers. I'm willing to spend some money to get better sound but the difference must be noticeable.

The speaker brands that I'm considering are Dayton audio, Polk audio, Pioneer and Sony:

Dayton audio because is affordable, you can get a pair of 6 1/2" two way speakers for about $40-$50 and use them as satellites. A center channel should cost me about $50-$60 and a 12" sub-woofer about $145. I'm not sure how they compare to more expensive speakers but they are affordable and of considerable size and that's attractive to me right now. This brand is the most affordable of the 4.

Sony is next in terms of affordability. You can get a pair of 5 1/4" two way speakers for about $69 and use them as satellites. I still haven't found a matchable center channel for those because I want it to be of the same brand but I will eventually. I would like to know how these will compare to the Dayton audio speakers.

Pioneer have nice looking floor standing speakers with 3 5 1/4" woofers and a tweeter but they cost about $200 a pair and they are a little out of my budget. However if the sound is considerably better than the other brands I can make the investment. I would like to know how these compare against Polk Audio floor standing speakers. They have nice looking two way speakers that cost about the same than the Sony's but have only a 4" woofer and I'm not sure if they sound better than the Sony's. A center channel speaker cost about $69.

Polk Audio has the better reputation of the 4 but is also the most expensive. They have floor standing speakers with very similar layout as the Pioneer's and that's why I want to know which one is better of the two because they cost about the same. I read a few reviews and they let you with the impression that this brand is positioned very high comparing with the most expensive brands. However if the sound is as advertised I can make a sacrifice and get them. I just need some feedback here.

I hope somebody can clarify those doubts to me. Thanks in advance!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
BigLouis1971 said:
I don't want to play the system extremely loud because I live in a apartment and have neighbors. I'm looking for sound clarity instead.
That's why there are volume knobs. Going with a receiver and decent speakers will provide the clarity you desire. Most receivers even have a special DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) mode that is good for late night viewing - it reduces the difference between the loudest and softest sounds in the program material.
BigLouis1971 said:
...sound is not that distorted but it lacks bass and is only 2.0 sound so I want to upgrade.
Ahh, but if you want to add bass, then volume won't be your problem. Even at low volumes, low bass will travel through walls and your neighbors will sense it. Bass needs mass to be stopped - typical apartment construction is not at all conducive to containing bass.

If I were in your situation, I would familiarize myself with the setup/configuration menus on the receiver so that you can easily disable the subwoofer for certain situations (weeknights, late nights, etc.) and re-enable it for others. Also, invite your neighbors over for a movie sometime - once they experience it and understand you're a nice guy, they'll cut you some slack from time to time.

As for the speakers, I've not listened to them personally, but I would go with the Dayton setup. The subwoofer is the best option of the three you list (again - that's going to be the part that affects the neighbors the most) and their products are often recommended around this forum.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
Nice, I feel more inclined to get the Dayton audio setup because of their affordability. I was about to ask the following question in another topic but I guess is better to post it here to see if I get an answer and save a topic: how can I hook up two Dayton audio speakers to one center channel and improve the audio of that channel vs just one speaker without hurting anything in my system?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not wait to get the Dayton speakers, then decide if it needs further help.The idea of "dual centers" has been discussed to death as being a bad idea.The 522 might have dialog enhancement. If it doesn't, the 822 probably does...and would justify the expense between them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you read page 28 of the OM for the 522 there is no reason to even attempt to connect a 2nd center speaker. It has "center width" which shares center duty with the main speakers from a ratio of "0" to "7"....with 3 being the default.

Look at the manual for the 822(should be close to the same page) to see it that feature is the same...or has further enhancement.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
What about if I substitute the 8 ohm woofers with 4 ohm woofers and hook them in series to get a 8 ohm load? Is just that I'm looking for an affordable way to get a 6 1/2 in center channel.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Let me repeat.

TRYING TO DO DUAL CENTER SPEAKERS IS A BAD IDEA AND HAS BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH SINCE "CENTER SPEAKER ITSELF" WAS CREATED IN 1991.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
You're right, those are the satellites I have in mind. I also considered that center speaker but later I read that for a 6 1/2 inch front speaker you should use a 6 1/2 inch center channel speaker because 80% of the audio comes from that speaker. That center channel speaker has 3 3/4 inch woofers. Do you think I'll get good balance with that one?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...Buy three pairs of the bookshelf(I wouldn't call them "satellite") and that center.Only your ears can answer that question(and experiment with center enhancement in the AVR).The worst case is you have to eat the return mail for the center...or one pair of speakers...Or you might make use of the DPL IIz.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
I know they are not exactly satellites but they are not full size speakers either. Is OK I'll get it and experiment. I'll hook up the extra pair to the Memorex micro stereo system and move it to my bedroom while I use the receiver in the living room. I don't usually listen that much music in the bedroom so the speakers will be barely used.

By the way are you speaking as a Pioneer VSX-522-K owner? If that's the case, are you happy with the performance?

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
Another question, I noticed that the receiver has surround back outputs. Will that turn it into a 7.1 system with the help of an external amplifier?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It, with external amplification, will do either 7.1 or DPL IIz. I would seriously consider the 822. That $20 is almost no brainer.

BigLouis1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Riefkohl
This is extremely kool. I'll have so much fun with this system. Much better than my previous configuration of DVD and 5.1 channel receiver. Do you think that the inexpensive Lepai LP-2020a+ will be enough for the front height speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks