What's new

Samsung BD-3600 Audio gave up the Ghost.. (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hey all,I was going to post a help me post but decided to just post my Samsung BD-3600 which was hooked via HDMI gave up the ghost in its audio section..I vainly tried for over an hour to check and recheck as to why I was NOT getting ANY Sound via and way cd, bluray and even Netflix..WEll I gave up for a bit and just went back in and reconnected my 7.1 analog outs to the receiver and Voila sound is back to working again..Kinda weird how the sound died but I still had video?? HDMI is a weird thing..But the good news I am trying to obtain a 3D Home Theater and a new 3D Blu ray was in the works looks like I'll be upgrading sooner to a 3D system then later..I am looking at the Oppo it has 3D capability and also plays SAD/DVD-A.. or at least I thought it stated that..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't think the HDMI audio "gave up".

Granted I don't have that player, but I have several SACD/DVD-A players that can do DVD-A over HDMI or MC and SACD over HDMI.

You can have one or the other...not both. So if the MC works...that is why the HDMI does not.

A way to "test that" is to run a toslink or digital coax. Those, on all of mine, still work for DVD...where HDMI is all or nothing.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
what do you mean by saying MC (multichannel) or do you mean the analog inputs?? Multichannel is outputted on BOTH the Analog and Digital connections. NOT at the same time but that is not what I said..WEll I tried all the settings it just did not work.. I had HDMI plugged in for over a year without issue, I did not change anything so to me it appeared as it had broken..I am unsure why you are referring to by using SACD and DVD-A.. The Player I have a Denon 1930ci ONLY works over 5.1 Analog for SACD/DVD-A connection but I am not talking about that..My, 3600 was plugged in using HDMI and on PCM in the player.. I had the HDMI Plugged from the Blu ray player to my Reciever on HDMI 2 port, which I also had selected in the input connection in the receiver under DSS.. I do NOT have a blu ray button so I used DSS but it really does not matter what button was used as long as the input was selected and that was HDMI 2..Now other then something in the reciver breaking I don't see what else could be wrong with it..If you have an idea please share. but like I said already it WAS working fine until Today??? So if I did not change anything what else could it be??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nevermind. I was under the assumption the Samsung had MC(MC is the name for 6/8 channel analog). Your post sounds like the MC worked for audio...but HDMI did not.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Nevermind. I was under the assumption the Samsung had MC(MC is the name for 6/8 channel analog). Your post sounds like the MC worked for audio...but HDMI did not.
Yes the Samsung BD has the 7.1 analog outputs.. It works with the Analog plugged in but stopped for HDMI..I had it previously working for a year and I don't believe anything was changed in the player or receiver.. so I am thinking it broke somehow but not exactly sure what as I went over all the settings changed the plugs tried different cables and nothing worked..So you are saying the HDMI video should NOT work either If it was the HDMI that crapped out??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I went back and looked at the Ebay listing again. The "Samsung product lit" doesn't mention the 7.1...but it is clearly listed on the box... :blink:

What I am saying is...for audio...

If the MC works(setup for use)...the HDMI audio is dead. Same as it is for all of my DVD players. I've never owned a MC BD player.

But...my Elite DV49(from Gene) and my Oppo 970 will still do toslink/digital coax when MC is activated.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
So why did the HDMI just crap out then?? I did not change anything at it was working fine yesterday??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you tried a different cable?

Have you tried a toslink/digital coax(granted you won't get the lossless)?

Does it need an update?

But...it is a Samsung...

(By the way, I have a Samsung Washer/Dryer. The dryer keeps blowing drum bearings....and Samsung won't allow it to be fixed with an aftermarket "better than the OEM crap" bearing)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
schan1269 said:
Have you tried a different cable? YES Have you tried a toslink/digital coax(granted you won't get the lossless)? No Does it need an update? updated to the lates 6 -12 But...it is a Samsung... Unfortunetly (By the way, I have a Samsung Washer/Dryer. The dryer keeps blowing drum bearings....and Samsung won't allow it to be fixed with an aftermarket "better than the OEM crap" bearing)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The good news is...

You could probably sell it to somebody with a pre-HDMI setup that wants to step up to BD...and they are lucky enough to have MC on their current gear.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I am positive the HDMI Audio is dead.. I tried a new HDMI Cable and it still did not work.. At least I have the M/C Inputs to use in the meantime..Now What I am puzzled with is How can I set the levels for the 7.1 Inputs..Now I have the level settings in the receiver under 7.1 input.. I can go from -10 to +10.. But the thing is I have no real easy way to run the Test Tones and Adjust the Levels on the inputs..Now I tried running the test tones on the BluRay Player but it switches so fast I do NOT even get a acuurate reading so using the Players Test Tones will NOT work..There are NO TEst tones to be made from the receiver.. I am wondering is there a Blu Ray 7.1 Channel test tone disk out there that I could use.. One that allows for separate channels to be played for as long as I need it to be on and NOT Switch too fast..Something like I can play track 1 and it will Output to the Channel of my choosing for a good 30seconds while I adjust..there is Bass Management in the Player so I am good there. I just need to get a blu ray 7.1 Test tone disk.. One that does the above mentioned runthrough..

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Gerald LaFrance said:
Well I am positive the HDMI Audio is dead.. I tried a new HDMI Cable and it still did not work.. At least I have the M/C Inputs to use in the meantime..Now What I am puzzled with is How can I set the levels for the 7.1 Inputs..Now I have the level settings in the receiver under 7.1 input.. I can go from -10 to +10.. But the thing is I have no real easy way to run the Test Tones and Adjust the Levels on the inputs..Now I tried running the test tones on the BluRay Player but it switches so fast I do NOT even get a acuurate reading so using the Players Test Tones will NOT work..There are NO TEst tones to be made from the receiver.. I am wondering is there a Blu Ray 7.1 Channel test tone disk out there that I could use.. One that allows for separate channels to be played for as long as I need it to be on and NOT Switch too fast..Something like I can play track 1 and it will Output to the Channel of my choosing for a good 30seconds while I adjust..there is Bass Management in the Player so I am good there. I just need to get a blu ray 7.1 Test tone disk.. One that does the above mentioned runthrough..
I am looking for this.. I know Avia has one too but I think I might get this one:http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.htmlI also found some tones on some THX Disks but would rather have this AIX Disk..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks