• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 of 99 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted November 11 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is inherent to the source, so I understand there is nothing to be done.

I'm curious, on movies like this or The Great Escape, whether there's any possibility of going back to the OCN and fixing the opticals by recompositing them from the original raw footage? Or are those opticals permanently baked-in to the source now?

RAH, any insight?

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#82 of 99 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted November 11 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm curious, on movies like this or The Great Escape, whether there's any possibility of going back to the OCN and fixing the opticals by recompositing them from the original raw footage? Or are those opticals permanently baked-in to the source now?

RAH, any insight?

That would work if they still had the original footage, but in most cases I'm sure it's disposed of.   :(

#83 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'm watching Giant right now. And I have to agree that the dupe sections are definitely the most noticeable I've ever seen. One thing though, all the reviews are reporting that the soundtrack (for the US release) is mono. I imported mine from the UK and the English soundtrack is stereo enhanced. Do the UK and US actually have different soundtracks or are the reviewers assuming it's mono because of the labeling?

#84 of 99 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 06:29 AM

I believe the US and UK (along with many other European countries) discs are identical (at least with Giant). So many dubs and subs.

Personally with 2.0 tracks, I always try "Pro Logic" (basic, not Pro Logic II etc) from my receiver. If the audio is coming from the "front center" only, it's Mono. If there are some surround activity, it's Stereo or 2.0 Surround. I believe every single stereo/surround track will add some surround activity with Pro Logic. With 2.0/1.0 Mono tracks, the Pro Logic will move the audio track to the "front center".

Edited by Jari K, November 17 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#85 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 17 2013 - 07:45 AM

There are only two ways to hear the original mono on BD...

1. Run a toslink/digital coax for it(HDMI doesn't support 1.0)...but you lose the lossless.
2. Have an AVR with original DPL(Onkyo calls original DPL...TV Logic)

Every other sound mode will create dual mono. Anybody who says they hear stereo from a 1.0 track is an idiot.

#86 of 99 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:11 AM

Every other sound mode will create dual mono. Anybody who says they hear stereo from a 1.0 track is an idiot.

I believe we talked about 2.0 tracks and how to (quickly) confirm whether they're mono or stereo/surround. Warner is often using "1.0 mono", but usually mono tracks are also 2.0. Giant has DTS-HD Master 2.0 track (which I believe is mono).

No "idiots" here.

But generally speaking it's a bit letdown if the reviewer lists the audio as "2.0" and doesn't necessarily tell that is it Mono, Stereo or perhaps 2.0 surround. Of course mono, stereo or surround alone doesn't tell that much about the quality of the audio, but I guess it's a good starting point. 

EDIT: And like I said, "Pro Logic" from your receiver with Mono track (whether it's 1.0 or 2.0) will not create dual mono. It'll create 1.0 mono (audio is coming from the "front center" channel only). And IF the audio is actually 2.0 stereo/surround (and not mono), you'll get some surround activity.

Edited by Jari K, November 17 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#87 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:35 AM

Can somebody confirm that the Giant US disc really is mono? Because the UK disc really is stereo enhanced, with dialog mainly in the center and music and effects spread around into all the speakers when using Pro-logic mode.

#88 of 99 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:42 AM

Can somebody confirm that the Giant US disc really is mono? Because the UK disc really is stereo enhanced, with dialog mainly in the center and music and effects spread around into all the speakers when using Pro-logic mode.

If you're using "basic" Pro Logic (not II or some other mode) AND you're getting some clear surround activity with the 2.0 track, I believe it's stereo/surround. I don't have the box set yet (coming), so I can't really check.

#89 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:28 PM

If you're using "basic" Pro Logic (not II or some other mode) AND you're getting some clear surround activity with the 2.0 track, I believe it's stereo/surround. I don't have the box set yet (coming), so I can't really check.

Pro-logic, Pro-logic II, and Pro-logic IIx all process mono sound exactly the same, with sound solely coming out of the center channel. Only surround activity is affected by II and IIx. Trust me, I know the difference between mono and stereo enhanced and the UK disc is most definitely stereo enhanced.

#90 of 99 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 01:47 PM

Mark, I just said that with Pro Logic you'll get the "center channel" from the 1.0/2.0 mono tracks so I guess we're on the same side. ;)

It seems that many reviewers are slightly wrong with this one and the audio is actually stereo.

#91 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 17 2013 - 02:01 PM

Mark, I just said that with Pro Logic you'll get the "center channel" from the 1.0/2.0 mono tracks so I guess we're on the same side. ;)

It seems that many reviewers are slightly wrong with this one and the audio is actually stereo.

My hunch is that the US version is identical to the UK so that both are stereo enhanced. When you receive yours, please report back as I would appreciate the confirmation that the US set is not in fact mono. Thanks Jari  :)

Edited by Mark-P, November 17 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#92 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 17 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've been looking around on Giant off and on with football...

The DigitalBits(or something like that) is the only place I've found that says Giant is stereo.

Everyone else says Dual Mono.

#93 of 99 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 17 2013 - 04:53 PM

Dual mono here, to my ears.  I can't force the receiver into anything else except stereo, and the sound doesn't change one iota.

#94 of 99 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 04:14 AM

I guess some of the (technically) stereo tracks can be very "monaural" in the end. Heck, even some of the 5.1 mixes are very low key. :)

( Then again some people just trust what the back cover and/or the menu says. E.g. in the "World at War" Blu-ray set, the PCM 2.0 is listed as "stereo" in the back cover AND in the menu, but it's actually mono (at least that was my conclusion). Of course the set has also great 5.1 mix, so most reviews probably watched the series with 5.1 and only sampled the 2.0 track. )

What was the "original audio" with Giant anyway?

Edited by Jari K, November 18 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#95 of 99 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 06:51 AM

"What was the "original audio" with Giant anyway?"

Mono.

Edited by schtan, November 18 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#96 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:18 PM

The official HTF review answers my question. Yes the soundtrack of the US Blu-ray edition of Giant is stereo (reprocessed from mono).

Edited by Mark-P, November 19 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#97 of 99 ONLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted November 19 2013 - 09:33 PM

The official HTF review answers my question. Yes the soundtrack of the US Blu-ray edition of Giant is stereo (reprocessed from mono).

Yes, I have the UK disc and it's not a plain mono spread across two channels. It's been given a pseudo stereo effect.

#98 of 99 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 01:05 AM

Have the negatives for the shots with dissolves been junked/lost?

#99 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 14 2014 - 03:49 AM

Have the negatives for the shots with dissolves been junked/lost?

Giant was one of those films where the optical effects were spliced into the original negative, so yes, the original camera negatives they originated from would have been discarded, as was the standard practice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Warner, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users