Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The James Dean Collection -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Warner Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 of 99 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 28 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Mr. Harris.

#42 of 99 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 28 2013 - 08:26 PM

Can we now crown Warner as the King of catalog Blu-rays? Their track record of late has been unblemished.

#43 of 99 AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted October 29 2013 - 02:27 AM

Three great films, from three great filmmakers, all of which have beautifully stood the test of time.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

I ordered my copy yesterday (from amazon.co.uk), because of your recomandation. Thanks. :)

Sadly enough, I never watched Giant and EoE (or better I don't remember it ^^), so it will be a first now. :)

what is the use of gadgets such as sound, color, widescreen or 3D
when there is a lack of good story, good actors and professionals behind the camera?

#44 of 99 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 29 2013 - 06:42 PM

Those that purchased the UK version of this set might be interested to know that the extra DVD from the US set (the documentary George StevensA Filmmaker's Journey) can be had for as low as $4.99 with Fulfillment by Amazon from Marketplace sellers right now

I grabbed the last $4.99 copy, but they still have 15 copies available for $5.49.

Rich Gallagher

#45 of 99 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 29 2013 - 08:41 PM

No true stereo tracks or stems are known to exist. All original prints were mono. There may have been an attempt at faux stereo for the c. 1967 dye transfer re-issue.

RAH

When I was a projectionist, I knew several knowledgeable old timers who swore that there were stereo prints of Giant.  One told how the sound required "riding gain" on the channels as well as overall to get a good result.  These reports were made in the early 60's.

Similar stories for The Big Country.

#46 of 99 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,311 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 03:27 AM

When I was a projectionist, I knew several knowledgeable old timers who swore that there were stereo prints of Giant.  One told how the sound required "riding gain" on the channels as well as overall to get a good result.  These reports were made in the early 60's.

Similar stories for The Big Country.

I believe there may have been mag / opt prints of Giant, which may have been mono or faux stereo. As to Big Country, I asked that question of Mr. Peck, who was a producer on the film, and he had no memory of it being stereo. I never researched further.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#47 of 99 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 04:12 AM

I believe there may have been mag / opt prints of Giant, which may have been mono or faux stereo. As to Big Country, I asked that question of Mr. Peck, who was a producer on the film, and he had no memory of it being stereo. I never researched further.

RAH

I believe that sometime ago within this Forum it was established that The Big Country was indeed in stereo.

#48 of 99 Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 08:00 PM

Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? I bought the UK set and find the Rebel transfer disappointing. Color is good but the picture just has a soft look to it on my big projection screen. On the other hand I'm now screening Jumbo which looks beautiful. Since you gave them both a 5 for video I'm puzzled. Anyone else looked at the UK Rebel?

#49 of 99 AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 11:39 PM

Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? ...

I can't imagine that Warner uses different transfers.

What languages are on the US-Discs? If the usual european languages on it (german for example), than it is a worldwide release.

And that's what I think, because usually there are no FBI-warnings on european discs.

when there is a lack of good story, good actors and professionals behind the camera?

#50 of 99 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 03:34 PM

Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? I bought the UK set and find the Rebel transfer disappointing. Color is good but the picture just has a soft look to it on my big projection screen. On the other hand I'm now screening Jumbo which looks beautiful. Since you gave them both a 5 for video I'm puzzled. Anyone else looked at the UK Rebel?

I've watched the UK disc and find it quite good. It looks pretty much like the prints I saw all those years ago. I understand when you say it looks a bit soft but that's how I recall it looking on 35mm prints. I certainly don't recall it looking hard and sharp.

I thought the sound was good. Leonard Rosenman's excellent score was well-served. I was amused to notice that one melodic theme in the score - there are many - was remarkably similar to the main theme used by Bernard Herrmann ten years later in Marnie.

Edited by Robin9, November 01 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#51 of 99 AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 03:36 PM

I just watched REBEL (right after EDEN) and don't find it too soft.

Remember what RAH said, "the early CinemaScope anomalies are in place" (whatever that means), probably part of your problem with the "softness".

What Jumbo, the Disney Jumbo?

I would presume, here ist 5 not equal 5. If you know what I mean? ;)

#52 of 99 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,577 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 01 2013 - 06:35 PM

Disney didn't do a Jumbo; it did a Dumbo. I'm sure he's talking about the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Billy Rose's Jumbo which was recently released.

#53 of 99 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,311 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 01:58 AM

Disney didn't do a Jumbo; it did a Dumbo. I'm sure he's talking about the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Billy Rose's Jumbo which was recently released.

Precisely. Jumbo. Doris Day, P.T. Barnum, and the huge-eared flying elephant. Always a tear-jerker.
  • JohnRa likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#54 of 99 Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 08:33 AM

I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

It's a WARNER BROS. product. They are getting their "cut" from sales regardless of where it is sold.  If they set their list price lower in some places, then that is on them -- not on those of us who choose to buy from said locations. But nice of you to label us "hypocrites"....

#55 of 99 Davinchi

Davinchi

Auditioning

• 3 posts
  • LocationMadrid (Spain)

Posted November 02 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Mr. Harris for the review.

A question please, why do the blu ray has crop in lateral, respect to the Dvd?

PD: Please excuse my limited English

#56 of 99 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,673 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 02 2013 - 09:43 AM

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

It's a WARNER BROS. product. They are getting their "cut" from sales regardless of where it is sold.  If they set their list price lower in some places, then that is on them -- not on those of us who choose to buy from said locations. But nice of you to label us "hypocrites"....

And if you bothered to read below where this was posted...

I said...

"Pot calling the Kettle..."

Which, since you obviously didn't find that post. I was including myself. And I am the one that started the "Little Known Region B BD" thread...

#57 of 99 Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 11:37 AM

And if you bothered to read below where this was posted...

I said...

"Pot calling the Kettle..."

Which, since you obviously didn't find that post. I was including myself. And I am the one that started the "Little Known Region B BD" thread...

Which you only posted after someone else remarked on your original post.

Even if you want to include yourself, I still don't see any "hypocrisy".  Warners set a list price in the U.K. of 35 GBP (roughly $56) versus a list price of $100 in the U.S.  So a better question might be: Why the huge discrepancy?

(And Warners isn't the only one to do this, just the one that is germane to this thread.)

#58 of 99 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,673 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 02 2013 - 11:53 AM

My intent was sarcasm. Apparently that gets lost in written form.

The US market gets screwed all the time. You'd think the largest BD market wouldn't get as screwed as we do.

I even joked about European diet. paying off US distribution to not release...

#59 of 99 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 05:54 PM

Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.

To answer your question, no, the DVDs are not region free.

#60 of 99 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,255 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 05 2013 - 09:20 AM

The UltraViolet code is also invalid for use in this country.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Warner, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users