Posted October 27 2013 - 10:03 PM

I understood "with" and "my." ;)

#22 of 99 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 27 2013 - 10:05 PM

No problem, I wasn't reacting negatively to your post :)

Is this the scene you're talking about (I just capped this off the new disc):

ObeKDTdl.jpg

But you know they're calling that edge enhancement haloes elsewhere - half the stuff they say are haloes are no such thing.  And around and around she goes and where she stops nobody knows.

#23 of 99 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,512 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 11:07 PM

From "Hollywood's Conversion of all Production to Color using Eastman Color Professional Motion Picture Films" by John Waner:

attachicon.gifGiant.JPG
attachicon.gifGiant 2.JPG

Mr. Waner's book is a great read for the technically minded. If you can find a copy. Quality dupes really didn't arrive until the CRI stock, as noted, but along with it came other problems. Imagine double-duping a film like Giant, along with all of its pre-existing problems.

Once CRI stock came into use, a generation was sometimes saved by making multiple dupes of fx shots, and cutting original dupes into each working duplicate conformed negative.

I don't believe it was until the '80, with 5243, that dupes became relatively transparent to the originals. Our 65mm dupe printing negs of Lawrence were on 43, and looked quite velvety and beautiful.

Today, things are even better. And then there are DIs.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#24 of 99 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,307 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 28 2013 - 04:19 AM

POPULAR

You guys are the best in the business for knowing the ins and outs of these film stocks. Really impressive and a godsend for HTF to have such knowledgeable people here.

• Mark Walker, JohnRa, ahollis and 1 other like this

#25 of 99 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,512 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 04:57 AM

You guys are the best in the business for knowing the ins and outs of these film stocks. Really impressive and a godsend for HTF to have such knowledgeable people here.

There are some people in the business that know many times what I do about film stocks.

Tip if the iceberg here.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#26 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:18 AM

Film stock is the one thing I knew inside and out. Back in middle school to heading off to IU I was playing around with medium and large format cameras. My father always had a dark room. He taught me color when I was 9. I never got "good" at color. Black and white is a different story.

Back then though, you could walk into a shop and have 10 different brands of film(of which each brand had 10-15 stocks) and 7-10 different paper brands(and 5-15 different stocks of that).

I knew X brand of film with Y brand of paper pushed...or pulled...would net a desired result before I even set the camera up.

Do I still have that knowledge ingrained in my head? Not in the least.(even if it was still there...90% of the products don't exist anymore)

My high school photog "teacher" didn't teach me anything. He was a door-stop. And he was more interested in the cute students...(being the 80s...you can fathom a guess).

#27 of 99 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:37 AM

For the record the U.K. set, which is region-free, can be had at Amazon.uk for $35 including shipping to the U.S.

Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.

#28 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:41 AM

Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.

Considering how "cheap" they are now. Find a Pioneer DV420(I have one...not selling it, yet). Plentiful and region free. There are other Pio out there but the 420 does 1080P(which the prior 410? only does 1080i).

#29 of 99 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:43 AM

Considering how "cheap" they are now. Find a Pioneer DV420(I have one...not selling it, yet). Plentiful and region free. There are other Pio out there but the 420 does 1080P(which the prior 410? only does 1080i).

I get it, but I have even less desire to be running multiple players in my set up than I do having oversized boxsets on my shelves. :)

#30 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:45 AM

Then why have all them HDMI ports... ;)

I'll admit it is sad though...

One of the theatres currently has the 420, Oppo 970* and a Panny DMP-BD77(and for that matter there is a Lenovo ETPC so I don't even use the 77 smart features)

*I originally bought the 970 for the SACD over HDMI. But since I like to watch something else while listening to Hi-Res..I switched it to another theater with an AVR that still has MC. I bought a DV49 for HDMI DSD(again, thanks Gene).

Looking at the theatre in that room, for guests, is an exercise in WTF...???

#31 of 99 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:47 AM

I got them too, I just don't have the space for a second player ha ha. :)

#32 of 99 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:52 AM

Those that purchased the UK version of this set might be interested to know that the extra DVD from the US set (the documentary George StevensA Filmmaker's Journey) can be had for as low as $4.99 with Fulfillment by Amazon from Marketplace sellers right now

#33 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:57 AM

I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...

Makes you wonder if Studio Canal, BFI and whoever else pay TT, Lorber and Criterion...

#34 of 99 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted October 28 2013 - 10:23 AM

I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...

Makes you wonder if Studio Canal, BFI and whoever else pay TT, Lorber and Criterion...

I'm certain that WB has gotten wise to how savvy Blu-ray consumers treat their new worldwide UCE editions. The James Dean set is just the latest in a series that has been made available in different configurations and at different prices throughout the world. If Warner wanted to prevent people easily importing a cheaper edition (of their product), there are plenty of things they could do about it. They simply choose not to.

Edited by McCructhy, October 28 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#35 of 99 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,702 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 28 2013 - 12:31 PM

I love hypocrisy...

I don't know what you're talking about as I'm just a film lover trying to collect as many of my favorite films as possible on Blu-ray disc.  All of that other stuff you're implying is meaningless to my personal agenda I just noted.

• David_B_K likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#36 of 99 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 01:13 PM

I don't know what you're talking about as I'm just a film lover trying to collect as many of my favorite films as possible on Blu-ray disc. All of that other stuff you're implying is meaningless to my personal agenda I just noted.

I put myself in the hypocrisy category. I started the thread "little known Region B".

I am the pot...

#37 of 99 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,225 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 28 2013 - 01:33 PM

I just hate that I missed out on that original Amazon $69.99 pre-order price. Since August it has been 89.99 which is only 10% off the retail price. It is obvious WB doesn't want to move many sets at that price. They did the same thing with the OZ box set. And now it costs less than my pre-order price. I will have to pass on the James Dean set for release day since the price isn't the most fetching (we all know it could have been had at 69.99) Yes I know the UK set is cheaper. 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#38 of 99 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,702 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 28 2013 - 01:50 PM

I just hate that I missed out on that original Amazon $69.99 pre-order price. Since August it has been 89.99 which is only 10% off the retail price. It is obvious WB doesn't want to move many sets at that price. They did the same thing with the OZ box set. And now it costs less than my pre-order price. I will have to pass on the James Dean set for release day since the price isn't the most fetching (we all know it could have been had at 69.99) Yes I know the UK set is cheaper. 

There will most likely be a temporary price drop during the Holiday shopping season.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#39 of 99 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 310 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 28 2013 - 02:27 PM

Was GIANT ever released with true stereo sound?  I know many of the video releases, dating back to the vhs, has some sort of simulated stereo.  And if it was released at some point in stereo, are these tracks still extant?

Thanks.

#40 of 99 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,512 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 03:27 PM

Was GIANT ever released with true stereo sound? I know many of the video releases, dating back to the vhs, has some sort of simulated stereo. And if it was released at some point in stereo, are these tracks still extant?

Thanks.

No true stereo tracks or stems are known to exist. All original prints were mono. There may have been an attempt at faux stereo for the c. 1967 dye transfer re-issue.

RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Warner, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users