Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Billy Rose's Jumbo -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About MGM Blu-ray Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 of 53 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,572 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 28 2013 - 07:48 PM

Since musicals were its stock in trade, I'm surprised MGM didn't do any in the late 1960s other than the 1969 Goodbye Mr. Chips when studios were falling over themselves left and right to create the next Sound of Music.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#22 of 53 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted October 28 2013 - 10:13 PM

Maybe a bit off topic, but the one "Big Top" movie that I liked when I was a kid was Trapeze, with Tony Curtis and (I think) Burt Lancaster. I don't remember much of the plot, or the characters, but I loved the trapeze work. 

#23 of 53 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted October 29 2013 - 01:21 AM

Mine is The Big Circus.

#24 of 53 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,355 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 29 2013 - 04:08 AM

Since musicals were its stock in trade, I'm surprised MGM didn't do any in the late 1960s other than the 1969 Goodbye Mr. Chips when studios were falling over themselves left and right to create the next Sound of Music.

Since The Singing Nun didn't do well for them (did very well at Radio City Music Hall but not elsewhere), I think they must have been hesitant to try it again until Goodbye, Mr. Chips. They did have Say It with Music lined up, and when it was canceled, they toyed with the idea of She Loves Me with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, but they simply paid Julie the $1 million in a pay or play contract they had with her and cut their losses.

#25 of 53 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,687 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 29 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sampled this disc last night (most of the musical numbers).  Wow!  It looks gorgeous!  So happy to have this on blu.  Now if we could add Love Me or Leave Me and Calamity Jane, I'd be very grateful. 

#26 of 53 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,024 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 29 2013 - 09:49 AM

Since The Singing Nun didn't do well for them (did very well at Radio City Music Hall but not elsewhere), I think they must have been hesitant to try it again until Goodbye, Mr. Chips. They did have Say It with Music lined up, and when it was canceled, they toyed with the idea of She Loves Me with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, but they simply paid Julie the $1 million in a pay or play contract they had with her and cut their losses.

It's funny, but I never thought of THE SINGING NUN as a musical. I guess it's because the numbers are not full blown but your right about it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#27 of 53 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,572 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 29 2013 - 05:02 PM

That proposed She Loves Me film is one I'll never get over not happening.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#28 of 53 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 11:52 AM

That proposed She Loves Me film is one I'll never get over not happening.

It would have been a charmer for sure, and not terribly expensive.

#29 of 53 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,355 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 30 2013 - 12:17 PM

And a reunion of Andrews and Van Dyke would have been perfect casting, too. I also heard that when MGM shelved She Loves Me, they also considered I Do! I Do! with Andrews and Van Dyke before deciding to simply pay Julie off.

#30 of 53 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted November 04 2013 - 10:48 AM

Watched this over the weekend. Stunning presentation.The colors jump off the screen. Great job WAC!

#31 of 53 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted November 02 2014 - 07:16 AM

Watched this over the weekend. Stunning presentation.The colors jump off the screen. Great job WAC!

I watched this last night and I agree. This Blu-ray disc is excellent. I enjoyed the film yesterday a lot more than I ever have before.

#32 of 53 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted November 03 2014 - 07:47 AM

I watched this last night and I agree. This Blu-ray disc is excellent. I enjoyed the film yesterday a lot more than I ever have before.

My reaction was the same. The presentation made this film much more enjoyable. I felt the same way about WAC's Blu-ray Kismet, also.

#33 of 53 ONLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,891 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 10:30 AM

This is a beautiful restoration of this film, but somehow as a movie it was more miss than hit for me. I really liked the cast, but somehow the way it was written I only cared a very little about the characters. As a drama I felt it was lacking, and the songs, although good enough, just didn't quite do it for me. Still, clearly a big-budget production with a lot of talent involved. Perhaps I need to wait a while and see it again at some point....

Almost everyone seems to knock DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth, but that's still far and away my favorite circus film.

#34 of 53 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 03:47 PM

This is a beautiful restoration of this film, but somehow as a movie it was more miss than hit for me. I really liked the cast, but somehow the way it was written I only cared a very little about the characters. As a drama I felt it was lacking, and the songs, although good enough, just didn't quite do it for me. Still, clearly a big-budget production with a lot of talent involved. Perhaps I need to wait a while and see it again at some point....

Almost everyone seems to knock DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth, but that's still far and away my favorite circus film.

Pull this out in a few months and watch again. This is a film that has grown on me with each viewing and the Blu-ray enhanced the experience for me. IMHO, the score is gorgeous featuring some of the best songs in the American songbook from Rodgers and Hart including The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, Little Girl Blue, Why Can't I?, This Can't Be Love and My Romance. Such incredible talent behind this film.

PS, I enjoy The Greatest Show on Earth, also.

#35 of 53 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,170 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 04 2015 - 04:31 PM

The songs in Jumbo are among the great nuggets of gold in the Rodgers & Hart output. But to each his own when it comes to appreciation of music Let's say that I'm old fashioned.

I enjoy the colors of The Greatest Show on Earth. But then, Cecil B. always gave us fine Technicolor cinematography.

#36 of 53 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 04 2015 - 05:15 PM

Jumbo is a very old-fashioned movie.  It was old the day I saw it in 1962 6 months before release. 

Enjoy it for what it is/was.  It was the end of the line for MGM musicals as history as come to know them, with many wonderful people taking their last or nearly last bow. 

The Blu-ray is fantastic to bring it all home.

#37 of 53 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 06:57 PM

Let's say I'm old fashioned, also. I was only 8 months old when this film was released originally, so caught up with it later in life. Beautiful music and orchestrations. Just saw Into the Woods last night and find Billy Rose's Jumbo more enjoyable. Again, call me old fashioned.

#38 of 53 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,170 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 04 2015 - 08:20 PM

I agree with Robert: Jumbo was old-fashioned even when new. But I was enchanted by songs that I was probably hearing for the first time, and couldn't wait to get the soundtrack so I could learn the songs by heart. Being from Puerto Rico, my upbringing didn't include these songs playing in the radio, for instance.

However, I moved with the times (up to a point) and I idolize Sondheim.

#39 of 53 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,355 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 05 2015 - 05:16 AM

POPULAR

Doris' renditions of "Little Girl Blue" and "My Romance" are definitive, I think.

If Jumbo had been a big hit, Doris might have given us some more musicals before she ended her movie career.

#40 of 53 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted January 05 2015 - 08:04 AM

If Jumbo had been a big hit, Doris might have given us some more musicals before she ended her movie career.

She might have, but not long after this she made a comedy with Rock Hudson and - what's that cliche? - the rest is history.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, MGM, Blu-ray, Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users