Least Likely to Ever See the Light of Day Again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:18 AM

I was thinking about this and I believe that black and white sitcoms that only ran for one season are the least likely to ever show up again, either on DVD or broadcast. Of course there are some rare exceptions (New Loretta Young Show, Hey Mulligan, half of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, Stanley) but I believe there is just not enough interest to warrant anyone doing anything with these types of shows.

My Hero, Pride of the Family, Colonel Humphrey Flack, My Favorite Husband (3 seasons but only 1 filmed), Halls of Ivy, Mayor of the Town, Willy, Dear Phoebe, Professional Father, So This Is Hollywood, His Honor Homer Bell, The Great Gildersleeve, It's Always Jan, Charlie Farrell Show, Those Whiting Girls, Joe and Mabel, The Brothers, Adventures of Hiram Holliday, Hey Jeannie, Blondie, Sally, Date With The Angels, Eve Arden Show, Love That Jill, This is Alice, The Ed Wynn Show, Peck's Bad Girl, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Dennis O'Keefe Show, Love and Marriage, The Betty Hutton Show, The Tab Hunter Show, The Jim Backus Show, My Sister Eileen, The Tom Ewell Show, Peter Loves Mary, Harrigan and Son, Guestward Ho, Bringing Up Buddy, Angel, Fair Exchange, The Nanette Fabray Show, Happy, Holiday Lodge, Mrs. G Goes To College, The New Bob Cummings Show, Father of the Bride, Room for One More, Margie, Ichabod and Me, The Hathaways, Oh Those Bells, It's A Man's World, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Our Man Higgins, Ensign O'Toole, One Happy Family, Don't Call Me Charlie, McKeever and the Colonel, Glynnis, Grindl, Harry's Girls, The New Phil Silvers Show, The Tycoon, Wendy and Me, No Time For Sergeants, Karen, Harris Against The World, Tom, Dick and Mary, Many Happy Returns, Mickey, The Bing Crosby Show, Valentine's Day, Broadside, The Baileys of Balboa, The Cara Williams Show, The Smothers Brothers Show.

Perhaps the only possibility might be if Warner Archive decides to do a few of the ones that they own but I wouldn't think it would be high on their list.

Edited by Neil Brock, October 27 2013 - 08:52 AM.

• davidHartzog likes this

#2 of 10 Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,186 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:39 AM

Seems like I heard something about NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS but couldn't tell you exactly when or where and I am probably only imagining it.

#3 of 10 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:41 AM

I know it's been discussed but the longer these sit out the public eye, the less they'll be remembered. I grew up with parents who were products of that era and many times discussed their favorites. There are quite a few on your list I even haven't heard of. Sure, I would blind buy Crosby or Backus just because of the familiarity issue and a few others I see that are recognizable that I would blind buy. The general public isn't going to blind buy these and, as you say, these will probably never see the light of day again.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#4 of 10 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:57 AM

Except for a very few, the majority were never syndicated and haven't been seen anywhere for 50 years or more. I wish it weren't the case, but I can't envision any kind of scenario in which these shows would draw interest. Not to mention the fact that most of them really aren't very good.

#5 of 10 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 26 2013 - 12:03 PM

Except for a very few, the majority were never syndicated and haven't been seen anywhere for 50 years or more. I wish it weren't the case, but I can't envision any kind of scenario in which these shows would draw interest. Not to mention the fact that most of them really aren't very good.

They were good way back when MAYBE when your TV choices were a handful of channels. For instance, my dad loved Cisco Kid as a child. He had the chance to catch it on TV sometime back and he complained of how silly the plot was and how as an adult it didn't hold up. I'm afraid it's going to be the same with many other shows of the era, especially the lesser knowns.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#6 of 10 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 04:46 PM

Some episodes of the aforementioned shows have come out on DVD via Alpha Entertainment- most likely PD episodes.  

Personally, I'd love to see a remastered Norby as it was the first show filmed in color to be shown on the NTSC color broadcasting system invented by RCA over NBC.

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#7 of 10 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:14 PM

Timeless I think *should* have given us a couple Universal sitcom titles when they were in their prime rather than scraping the bottom for every last western, if only to give us a little diversity.    I would have given "Broadside" a try since it was technically a "McHale's Navy" spinoff and could have been billed as such in the promotions.   "Wendy And Me" I know once had rerun exposure on CBN in the 80s and as a George Burns vehicle would have that selling point (plus there is a Raquel Welch appearance in one episode).

#8 of 10 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:05 PM

Never say never again. You really need a ouija board to figure out what shows get released and why.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#9 of 10 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 09:09 PM

From Neil's list the one I'd most like to see is Our Man Higgins. I've never seen even one episode. I'd check out any show with Stanley Holloway (or Sterling Holloway for that matter).

#10 of 10 wizard55

wizard55

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:11 PM

Are there PD vhs releases of these that never were brought to dvd? Trying to figure out which series have surviving prints, and how many and where gets so frustrating. There is a classic tv Christmas set out there ( Beverly Hillbillies on the cover) that I heard had one single episode for a bunch of very obscure shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users