Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Twilight Time hints March 2014 and beyond

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 of 71 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 10 2014 - 10:46 PM

They have confirmed First Men in the Moon? That's wonderful! I only just saw it in the last few years (during an exhaustive and fun tour of old sci-fi movies) and it stood out as one of my very favorites. Could Twilight Time release more Nigel Kneale films? Anything such as Quatermass, Night/Curse of the Demon, The Abominable Snowman would be a dream come true for me.

Curse/Night of the Demon is a Columbia/Sony title, so I don't know why not Elijah.

Although The Abominable Snowman was exhibited by Fox domestically, it is a Hammer picture, so its N.A. home video rights seem less clear...last seen stateside via Anchor Bay DVD.

As for First Men In the Moon, I have a gut feeling that much like the 2 remaining Sinbad movies last year it will be in our Christmas stockings for '14. At least I hope so...probably just depends on what Mr. Crisp has in his hopper right now.

• BPullen likes this

#62 of 71 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 12 2014 - 04:07 PM

MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION arrived today. Looking forward to watching this later tonight. It is one if my favorite fluff James Stewart movies.
  • ROclockCK likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#63 of 71 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 06:45 PM

MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION arrived today. Looking forward to watching this later tonight. It is one if my favorite fluff James Stewart movies.

Okay, I'm officially envious Allen. I was just in the mood to watch that one, but suspect my own delivery is still 10 days away, depending on the dogsleds*. So it's Fever Pitch instead tonight; Stewart will just have to wait until Easter weekend. <_<

* Hobbs was in a roll-up order with all of TT's new releases, and I think the late arrival of Used Cars held it up.

• ahollis likes this

#64 of 71 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 12 2014 - 07:50 PM

MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION looks great. Colors are nice, sound is mono and there is the right amount of grain. And Maureen O'Hara is just alway gorgeous. What a wonderful actress and I wish I could have the opportunity to see her this year at the TCM Film Festival.

I hope the sales are successful to bring us TAKE HER SHE'S MINE and DEAR BRIDGET. I do have both the MOD of TAKE HER and the European Blu of BRIDGET.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#65 of 71 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 08:23 PM

Wonderful news Allen.

I don't think there was a dog amongst Stewart's early/mid-60s Fox pictures. All well-written, well-directed, well-performed, and solidly crafted. In our household, there was never any dissent over seeing his latest, even when they played at our upscale Belle theatre without a 2nd feature. Jimmy's pix were just a given.

BTW, I felt no letdown whatsoever watching Fever Pitch tonight. What a marvelous little movie...with charm and wit to spare. I wish more domestic rom-coms could get that infectious mix of character and story right...it wouldn't be such a debased genre.

• ahollis likes this

#66 of 71 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 12 2014 - 08:41 PM

Fever Pitch. Never heard of it. Bought it, watched it, and as Steve stated, marvelous little movie, etc., etc.

• ahollis likes this

#67 of 71 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 10:30 PM

I had no frame of reference strong enough to even imagine how Fever Pitch would play Jose...total blind faith buy. And it's not like I jumped on it when the SAE box arrived either; FP ended up being the very last on my list of March TT titles to make it to my player. Yet this one is a keeper...I just started watching it again with the Redman/Kirgo commentary on for another level of entertainment.

I do hope more folks take a chance on this one. It really sneaks up on you. 

• BPullen likes this

#68 of 71 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 12 2014 - 10:45 PM

Plus watching Colin Firth's character develop is charming, moving, exasperating, so human. It's definitely a sleeper. But haven't we said the same thing about Rapture, Swamp Water, and how people should take a chance on them?

• ahollis and BPullen like this

#69 of 71 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, I know Jose...and they do...at least some of them...eventually.

In fact, I just received a message here yesterday from a poster from Blu-ray.com who remembered my enthusiasm over Rapture and Swamp Water 2 plus years ago. I think TT's recent sale had more to do with those blind buys, but for more obscure (and initially somewhat head-scratchin') titles such as those or Fever Pitch, it just seems to take awhile for that "A-ha...now I see why they ran with it" moment to hit home. 

I mean, I didn't exactly rip open the SAE box and watch Fever Pitch immediately either...but better late than never.  ;)

• ahollis and BPullen like this

#70 of 71 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:31 AM

Plus watching Colin Firth's character develop is charming, moving, exasperating, so human. It's definitely a sleeper. But haven't we said the same thing about Rapture, Swamp Water, and how people should take a chance on them?

I did take a chance on them also both RAPTURE and SWAMP WATER were very engrossing films. I was extremely pleased that Twilight took the time and energy to bring theses titles to us.
  • bujaki and ROclockCK like this

#71 of 71 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 10:44 PM

Curse/Night of the Demon is a Columbia/Sony title, so I don't know why not Elijah.

Although The Abominable Snowman was exhibited by Fox domestically, it is a Hammer picture, so its N.A. home video rights seem less clear...last seen stateside via Anchor Bay DVD.

As for First Men In the Moon, I have a gut feeling that much like the 2 remaining Sinbad movies last year it will be in our Christmas stockings for '14. At least I hope so...probably just depends on what Mr. Crisp has in his hopper right now.

If Anchor Bay still has an arrangement with Hammer, I wish they would do a Hammer Quatermass box with The Quatermass Xperiment, Enemy from Space and Five Million Years to Earth on it. Better yet, make it a Nigel Kneale/Hammer box and include The Abominable Snowman. I'd pay good money for that.

That said, I'm glad First Men in the Moon is coming. It's more deserving of the blu-ray treatment than the rest of the films I mentioned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users