Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

projectors explained

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   gerry in mtl

gerry in mtl

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

I am new to the projector world, and I am trying to understand a few things.

I have been researching quite a bit, but I still don't understand some differences, for instance what the difference is between an educational projector and a home theater one.

I would compare for instance a Benq MX520, that has a 13000:1 contrast, 3000Lumens, and XGA

with a Benq W7000 that has 50000:1 contrast, 2000lumens and 1080P

The W7000 will have better blacks and shades, but given that I am going to be using this projector to view netflix movies NOT in HD definition, would the MX520 do the trick for a decent movie experience?

What other difference besides the contrast would I notice?

I plan on using chromecast connected to an Ipad to stream the movies, and probably project on a wall, or a cheapish screen. I'll hook up my audio system to the projector thru the audio out connector. Room will be dark enough, and I'll have a distance of about 10-15 feet from projector to screen.

Thanks to all in advance!

Gerry

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,721 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 23 2013 - 07:38 PM

Simply put, the MX520 s a "conference room" projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio. It is NOT designed for home theater. Also, business projectors usually have a 2X color wheel speed, which is likely to show rainbows to most people. What is your budget for projector? If the MX520 is at the top of your budget, I would recommend you just stream to a TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users