• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 23 2013 - 09:35 AM

Some seriously badass new features in this update.

Check the video!

http://www.pixelmator.com/#overview

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sam, 

That is an awesome video.  That's an app I am going to look into.

Thanks for sharing.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 831 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:18 AM

And so much more affordable :)

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,888 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am looking for a good workflow to watermark photos (from my Aperture Library, before export) -- anyone have any experience watermarking with Pixelmator?

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 05:52 PM

Watermarks are teh debbil, so not me.  Raher than rehash that, will simply say my views have not changed since this thread:

http://www.hometheat...rave-new-world/

I understand the desire to watermark but do not believe that current reality matches what people think they will do, but wish them well in their endeavors whilst silently groaning at the worst looking ones.  =)

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:57 AM

ON SALE!
http://slickdeals.ne...c-app-store?v=1

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,259 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 17 2014 - 12:50 PM

I just tried to buy pixelator but I'm at 10.7.5 and 10.9.1 (I think) is required.  That's Maverick.  Are there any known incompatibilities with Maverick.  Photoshop CS 6 will still work, won't it?  I've got an epson printer that I've had for years, I presume there's a driver for it.

Guess I'm asking what are the con's to upgrading?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 05:10 PM

There are NO CONS to upgrading to Mavericks.  There will be NO CONS to upgrading to Yosemite.

Fear of upgrading is something that has ceased to be useful in the OSX world a half dozen years ago.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,259 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 05:34 PM

I see references to Sandstone and Marble versions. Are there different versions of pixelator?

Never mind.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,893 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:25 PM

There are NO CONS to upgrading to Mavericks.  There will be NO CONS to upgrading to Yosemite.

Fear of upgrading is something that has ceased to be useful in the OSX world a half dozen years ago.

I would check you

I just tried to buy pixelator but I'm at 10.7.5 and 10.9.1 (I think) is required.  That's Maverick.  Are there any known incompatibilities with Maverick.  Photoshop CS 6 will still work, won't it?  I've got an epson printer that I've had for years, I presume there's a driver for it.

Guess I'm asking what are the con's to upgrading?

http://roaringapps.c...e-photoshop-cs6
Yes.

I suggest checking important apps there. I agree 95% with Sam. Upgrading for the home user is getting easier and better every iteration. But if you're a pro or can't afford upgrading software, you should be conservative in your upgrades.

That said, Lion to Mavericks is recommended. Bug fixes, security improvements, better iCloud and iOS integration.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,259 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:58 AM

I've installed Mavericks and Pixelmator.  One thing I noticed right away is that it used the old photoshop style of work area.  Almost the entire desktop (and any apps open) are displayed.  Only the various tool boxes and menus hide anything.  I really dislike that.  Couldn't see anything in preferences to fix that.  Is that the only way it works?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:11 AM

It's been a while since I've used Pixelmator, can you make it full screen and get what you want?
  • Johnny Angell likes this

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,259 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:19 AM

It's been a while since I've used Pixelmator, can you make it full screen and get what you want?

Ah Ha!  That was it.  Now it looks like the desktop I'm familiar with.  Thank you.

• Sam Posten likes this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:00 PM

You betcha.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,893 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 07:37 PM

How accessible is it? Is it mom safe? Or does it require a photoshop-level investment to use.

I used v1 and it was not intuitive to me. But it could have gotten simpler features since then.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,659 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 08:03 PM

That's a hard question to answer.  It's harder than Excel and easier than full blown photoshop.  It's a $16 gamble.  Is she artsy?  II know you said she is not tech literate but that might take some of the sting out.

It's like saying "how hard is it to learn to draw?"  For some people pick up a pencil and go.  For me, a lifetime of miserable failure.

• Johnny Angell likes this

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,893 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:27 AM

That's a hard question to answer.  It's harder than Excel and easier than full blown photoshop.  It's a $16 gamble.  Is she artsy?  II know you said she is not tech literate but that might take some of the sting out.

It's like saying "how hard is it to learn to draw?"  For some people pick up a pencil and go.  For me, a lifetime of miserable failure.

$30 gamble :)

I emailed my mom the links to Pixelmator and Acorn. I'm not sure what her interests or needs are on this. On Windows, I think she'd be well off with Paint.net or whatever shovelware photo editing comes on a Windows machine these days.

I still wish there was a Paint.net equivalent on the Mac. Even Pixelmator is overkill for my needs -- and is too complicated for quick tweaks to pixel graphics. 

• Sam Posten likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users