Calibrating Contrast

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 WilliamHg

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'm having trouble calibrating contrast with the THX Optimizer and Avia. I can turn the contrast all the way up to 100 and I can still see the white boxes in the THX Optimizer and the white bars with the Avia disk. My TV is a 40 inch Samsung LCD. I haven't noticed any color change when I make the adjustment which I've heard to look for so thought I'd ask for any other advice on how or where to set it. It's set at 85 right now but only because that seems to be a general setting of what other displays are set at. Thanks,

William

#2 of 7 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,012 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 04:10 AM

I'm having trouble calibrating contrast with the THX Optimizer and Avia. I can turn the contrast all the way up to 100 and I can still see the white boxes in the THX Optimizer and the white bars with the Avia disk. My TV is a 40 inch Samsung LCD. I haven't noticed any color change when I make the adjustment which I've heard to look for so thought I'd ask for any other advice on how or where to set it. It's set at 85 right now but only because that seems to be a general setting of what other displays are set at. Thanks,

William

http://www.spearsand...rast-control-2/

try this link. there is also info about brightness, color and etc etc.

Jacob

#3 of 7 WilliamHg

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Jacob...that's good stuff. Will take a closer look at it too. I checked the default setting for movie mode and it's set to 95 which seems kind of high compared to the old CRT displays but then we're talking LCDs so things are different I guess. I don't understand why higher contrast levels are more common place now days with the new displays than with the old CRT...other than damage from high contrast settings to CRTs contrast is contrast isn't it? Maybe the images don't get that distorted or blown out look with LCDs as with CRTs...dunno....just the new technology I guess...sorry just thinking out loud. Thanks for the link.

William

#4 of 7 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,012 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Jacob...that's good stuff. Will take a closer look at it too. I checked the default setting for movie mode and it's set to 95 which seems kind of high compared to the old CRT displays but then we're talking LCDs so things are different I guess. I don't understand why higher contrast levels are more common place now days with the new displays than with the old CRT...other than damage from high contrast settings to CRTs contrast is contrast isn't it? Maybe the images don't get that distorted or blown out look with LCDs as with CRTs...dunno....just the new technology I guess...sorry just thinking out loud. Thanks for the link.

William

no problem.

I always had issues with the lcd because I could never get the brightness to work right. I now have a plasma. it works great with brightness.

Jacob

#5 of 7 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,323 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted October 23 2013 - 04:20 PM

on Samsung displays, you will not get the boxes to clip white. However they will discolor.

Set the contrast at 85. 

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#6 of 7 WilliamHg

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 04:21 AM

Thanks guys. Do you find your picture darker after calibrating your display compared to the preset cinema/movie mode? Mine is and I'm ok with that but just making sure if that's normal. Thanks.

#7 of 7 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,323 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted April 22 2014 - 08:19 AM

update, on the newer / high end Samsungs, set the contrast at 95, then adjust the backlight for light output preference.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users