Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Wicker Man 1973 U.S. blu-ray - 1/7/14

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 John Doe

John Doe

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 06:18 AM

It's coming from Lionsgate.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/30949186

#2 of 12 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,552 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 19 2013 - 06:49 AM

I see that it is listed as 88 min, so this is not the 100 min Director's version. Think I will pass.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 12 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,903 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 19 2013 - 07:08 AM

Buy a region-free player...

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/79621/

http://www.amazon.co...r man final cut (this is all three versions. UK, Final and Director's)

And if you really want to cry foul on the US market for Blu. Look at the other two "frequently bought together"...

#4 of 12 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,106 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 08:10 AM

I'm sure the specs are wrong and that this will be the new, 94m Final Cut, but only available singly given the price. To get the short version (88m) and the Director's Cut (100m) it seems you'll have to get the (excellent) RB package. 

#5 of 12 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,828 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 19 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is coming from Lionsgate of all people? The import is a bit pricey but it's really the only release that will be worth buying. The film has limited cult appeal - what could possibly be behind Lionsgate's decision to release this at a time when the studio has seemingly abandoned the idea of releasing anything remotely catalog? The odds are in favor of this being just another throwaway LG release with horrible cover art, 20 minutes of forced trailers and no extras. Plus there's no telling what their source material will be. No thanks. 

#6 of 12 John Doe

John Doe

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 11:39 AM

Lionsgate is releasing The Wicker Man through the distribution deal they have with Studio Canal. It will likely be identical to SC's edition.

#7 of 12 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's Studio Canal, which distributes via Lionsgate in North America.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#8 of 12 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 20 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's Studio Canal, which distributes via Lionsgate in North America.

and as all we really have at the moment is the Wal-Mart place holder, instead of a official announcement we don't completely know the specs.

I am ever the optimist that maybe we will get all three cuts in this release, fingers crossed. :)

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 12 Howard S

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 04:09 PM

I was hoping this would upgrade the longer Director's Cut to HD (with the portions no longer existent on film upscaled), however surprised and sad to find that the SC blu-ray only contains this version of the film in SD, i.e. the same master as the previous DVD. Very nice to have The Final Cut, but this shortens/omits a few scenes throughout the film which appear in the Director's Cut.

#10 of 12 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 25 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'll probably just keep my old wood box DVD version until we get a decent R1 release, or whatever this ends up being hits a dirt cheap price.

• ahollis likes this
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#11 of 12 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted October 25 2013 - 07:16 PM

This new version is currently in theaters.  I've heard mixed things about It but the director is considering it the final version.

#12 of 12 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 466 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 26 2013 - 03:04 AM

I'll probably just keep my old wood box DVD version until we get a decent R1 release, or whatever this ends up being hits a dirt cheap price.

I loved my old wooden box version. However, both discs became unplayable due to disc rot. A friend bought the set at the same time (summer 2000, I think), and both his discs are unplayable as well...

I just got the SC Blu, and it's great. As an ignoramus, I've always preferred the theatrical cut anyway!

Edited by Will*B, October 26 2013 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users