Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ass Spider

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,633 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 18 2013 - 05:14 AM

The trailer I watched says it opens today. When I look in Flixster it doesn't show up as opening today or any day. I guess this will be on demand only. Our local critic gave it a decent review, comparing it to Tremors. Not quite that good, but still good. Is this showing in theaters anywhere? I'm a sucker for giant monster movies.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 05:21 AM

DaaaaaYummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!  I am SO there for this movie.  :banana:

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 07:01 AM

There's a website for this movie (what a shock) called bigasspider.com.  There it shows what cities it's playing in and it seems quite limited.  None in Arkansas, so I guess it will be on demand for me.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,242 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 18 2013 - 07:33 AM

Playing at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago. Have to pick up relatives tomorrow at O'Hare...maybe a showtime of this works out...

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,242 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 07:36 AM

Dang it, not this one...but they are showing Fall of the House of Usher and Island of Lost Souls at times that would work....decisions...

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 11:21 AM

You'd think with all the critters we've got in Arkansas, this would be popular here.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 09:15 AM

OMG, I want to see this one.  Need to check if it is playing in Hampton Roads VA.

Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,645 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:54 AM

There's a website for this movie (what a shock) called bigasspider.com.  There it shows what cities it's playing in and it seems quite limited.  None in Arkansas, so I guess it will be on demand for me.

are you sure thats the correct site?

Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.

facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,242 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:24 AM

are you sure thats the correct site?

Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.

I had to do like 4 permutations of "big ass spider" and finally got it to hit.

I think the link to the movie directly is still up at The Music Box (Chicago theater).

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:53 AM

The only reason I even looked at this thread was because the title made me laugh.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,678 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 24 2013 - 08:07 AM

The only reason I looked at it was to make sure it wasn't about an actual big ass spider.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,645 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 24 2013 - 09:06 AM

The only reason I looked at it was to make sure it wasn't about an actual big ass spider.

Me too.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 04:32 PM

So you thought I was posting about an actual spider in the Movies section? I would have put that elsewhere. Now back to our normal programming.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 04:34 PM

are you sure thats the correct site? Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.

It should have been a triple S, as in bigassspider.com. Sorry 'bout that.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well..., I learned that it is on demand with DirecTV.  I am pretty sure the cable companies have released it as well with their same-as-theatrical release titles. 

Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted October 28 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's on Vudu, Amazon and several other sites.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 09:49 AM

I finally watched this on DTV VOD.  First time I've done that.  Jeez, $8 for the rental.  That's approaching a theater ticket price. But on to the movie.  I need to establish a grading system.  If I were to have a system of from 1 to 10 stars for the syfy Saturday night specials (the typical ones like Sharknado, not the occasional premium stuff they do) I would assign 5 stars to the very best of these.  :) Keep in mind that my rating would be lower if I were rate BAS outside of the syfy rating system. For BAS, I would give it a syfy rating of 4.5 stars, because I'm assuming that there is at least one syfy that can beat it out.  I went into this hoping for a poor man's Tremors.  Greg Grunberg and Lombardo Boyar are the two buddies and they do have some moments, but mostly it seems like too guys trying too hard to be funny. When I saw Ray Wise was in the movie, I thought that would raise the level, and it did, but only slightly.  Patrick Bauchau is guilty of terrible over acting.  He probably had to floss afterwords to remove all the scenery.  Lin Shaye as Grunberg's romantic interest doesn't bring much to the movie either. While the acting is terrible, so is the script.  For some reason, they decided to reveal the monster spider in all it's gigantic glory, inside of two minutes (maybe just one) of the start of the movie.  I guess they wanted to feel at home with all the other syfy movies. There's the time when the two buddies are racing to the spider's location, but the audience doesn't know how they know the location. Than there's the time

Spoiler

The best thing about this movie is the FX.  The spider, in it's various sizes, looks good.  Not ILM good, but for a syfy movie, I would give the FX a 6, maybe 7.  The sound is serviceable, but nothing special.  When the spider walks on a paved street, he, make that she, breaks the pavement.  You wouldn't know that from the sound. Had I watched this on the syfy channel, I probably would have given this movie a 5 or 6 star rating.  Still, comparing this movie with the syfy Saturday night specials is not bragging on it. I wanted to like this movie, I like big monster movies, I spent $8 to rent it, and I'm a cheapskate.  When I think of an old classic like Them (and I find the big ants kind of hokey), this movie does not compare.  In Them you have actors and characters you care about.  The FX, not so great, but it's 10 times the movie that BAS is.

I cannot recommend a rental of this movie and certainly not a purchase of the blu whenever it comes out.  It's not good enough for either and it's not bad enough for either.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,350 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 09 2013 - 06:54 PM

Good review, Johnny!  :thumbs-up-smiley:

Thanks!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,073 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 12 2014 - 09:10 PM

This is showing next Saturday, April 19, at 9PM on SyFy.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 06:57 AM

This is showing next Saturday, April 19, at 9PM on SyFy.

My clumsy finger clicked the solved button, even tough there's nothing to solve here. Watching this for free on syfy is the best way to see this movie. If you don't like the Syfi Saturday night specials, you won't like this movie either.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users