-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Laser disc ac-3 output

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 dano582

dano582

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:20 PM

So I've had a laserdisc player since 03 I had a pioneer s201 which doesn't have rf out for Dolby digital track . Well the other day at a thrift shop I found a nice lot they had around 30 discs at 50 cents each so I bought them all . So I went on eBay and bought a pioneer d504 with rf out so should I get an external rf decoder or buy an older receiver with an ac3 input the receiver I have is a denon 6.1 its a low end receiver so maybe a old pioneer elite might sound better, any thoughts on which way to go?

#2 of 7 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,174 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:38 PM

I would go with the RF modulator.

Otherwise AVR is based on your needs.

#3 of 7 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:33 PM

By the way, welcome to HTF, Daniel! A lot of us got started in this hobby with laserdisc.

#4 of 7 dano582

dano582

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome steve, I first got a laser disc player cause it reminded me of when I was younger, I wanted one but couldn't afford it plus I like having every format lol I have my DVD player, bluray, laser disc, HD DVD, I even thought about getting a dvhs player but I don't think there's to many titles for that format . I wish I could get my hands on a muse hi def laser disc but those are rare and pricey I love old technology just as much as new technology

#5 of 7 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 17 2013 - 06:32 PM

My DVHS stopped working. It is still the only place to see True Lies in high def.

I lost most of my laserdiscs to water and mold. But I recently acquired 1776 Pioneer Special Edition and Criterion Robocop from eBay. And I watched the extended cut of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World recently (one of the few discs that survived).

I was a hardcore laserdisc enthusiast in the day.

#6 of 7 dano582

dano582

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 06:47 PM

Wow they don't have true lies on bluray? I was watching 2 days ago on laser disc, I love that movie its an action moves with some great comedy moments . A true classic

#7 of 7 YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 07:01 AM

Well... i recently got a Laserdisc player for free, when the company is throwing/clearing away the A/V junks which in previous years was used for presentation purpose.

My old laserdiscs got a reprieve, especially now with a new PHILIPS Soundbar with optical input installed. Even though i can't get a full AC3 presentation, i'm glad that some titles with beefy soundtrack gets presented in it's full glory!

Today i just played APOCALYPSE NOW, the original PARAMOUNT release.

Nearly got a police visit when i played the BEACH ATTACK scene on both LASERDISC and DVD REDUX versions for audio comparison.

[PHILIPS SOUNDBAR]- HTB5150...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users