-

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• Please log in to reply
1813 replies to this topic

#1801 of 1814 Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:27 PM

Reminds me very much of the alternate poster artwork done by the Mondo folks at the Alamo Drafthouse theatres -- it hides the age of some of the movies and brings each title to the same level playing field, some referencing many of those movie's most iconic scenes.

#1802 of 1814 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 30 2014 - 06:32 PM

That is the best non Criterion packaging this film has ever had.

Moe, I just lost a few precious minutes of my life at the Criterionforum.org site reading thru the posts on IAMMMMW. WHY OH WHY do you subject yourself to that pretentious bunch of pseudointellectuals over there? I'd just as soon set myself on fire and jump into a vat of gasoline. You're either a brave man or have a death wish :)
  • ahollis and FoxyMulder like this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#1803 of 1814 ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:08 PM

Funnily enough, I just snagged this and screened it last week. What I've seen so far of the presentation is first class all the way.

My opinion of this film always does a complete 180° every time I watch it in full... But seeing it in high-def digitally projected REALLY AND TRULY HELPS. This is a film that should only be seen on as large a screen as possible, and with as many people in the audience as possible. It just does not work any other way.

As for the 197 minute roadshow reconstruction, I'll echo what Ray Faiola said: that beyond the addition of Buster Keaton, everything else is strictly inconsequential. Though I'll argue that Sylvester stealing his girlfriend's car (re: her husband's car) is pretty damn funny, and seeing more of Edie Adams' ass is never a bad thing.

"It's the end of the age of innocence starting now."

#1804 of 1814 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,219 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 30 2014 - 09:19 PM

IMO, it also works every other way. ;)
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1805 of 1814 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,957 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 14 2014 - 08:50 AM

Just started watching the reconstruction in the Criterion set (also got A Hard Day's Night and The Devil's Backbone in the B&N Criterion sale). My hat is off to RAH for what he was able to accomplish with the materials he had. It makes you realize how good the MGM transfer of the short version is, and I too, enjoyed the scene involving Sylvester's girlfriend and her husband's car. Ethel Merman is so shrill, she makes me want unspeakable things to happen to her every time I watch this, but the movie wouldn't work without her. Will likely finish up tonight (about 1/2 way through).

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#1806 of 1814 Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:22 AM

RAH, I probably already asked this question, but I forgot:

When you found 20 minutes worth of lost footage for the 1991 re-construction, did they have audio intact, or was the audio for those scenes missing?

#1807 of 1814 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,176 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 14 2014 - 01:21 PM

Moe, I just lost a few precious minutes of my life at the Criterionforum.org site reading thru the posts on IAMMMMW. WHY OH WHY do you subject yourself to that pretentious bunch of pseudointellectuals over there? I'd just as soon set myself on fire and jump into a vat of gasoline. You're either a brave man or have a death wish :)

Oh yes, the "how dare they release a mainstream American comedy despite the demand for it" brigade.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#1808 of 1814 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,442 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 02:01 PM

POPULAR

RAH, I probably already asked this question, but I forgot:

When you found 20 minutes worth of lost footage for the 1991 re-construction, did they have audio intact, or was the audio for those scenes missing?

Yes.

• Stephen_J_H, Mark-P and nealg like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#1809 of 1814 Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 02:08 PM

If there have been missing audio on those re-discovered scenes from the 1991 re-construction, would there have been a mention of this on the laserdisc, like there was on the Hawaii and Spartacus laserdiscs?

#1810 of 1814 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 03:25 PM

To be a genuine spoiler, wouldn't the "Big W" have to be on the cover? As it is, this is nice and evocative of the film without giving anything away.

#1811 of 1814 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 02:49 AM

The Big W is like Rosebud in CITIZEN KANE. (Their function in the narrative is quite similar when you think about it.)

As for revealing what they are, you either take a "no spoilers anytime ever" position or a "classics are fair game" position. I'm torn because I like talking about classics openly but at the same time I want young people to discover these films and experience them the way I saw them for the first time. On some forums, the overwhelming majority of readers have seen both films while on others the ratio is reversed, so you have to be careful.

Although I think we can all agree that anyone who's heard of PSYCHO knows about the shower scene.

#1812 of 1814 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,219 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:11 AM

What shower scene??

;)
  • Dr Griffin and Brenty like this
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1813 of 1814 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted August 21 2014 - 09:02 AM

Very few movies and TV shows make me laugh out loud more often than IAMMMMW and WML.

Here is our good friend Benjy Benjamin and a famous TV lawyer together on the same stage back in 1962 during the filming of IAMMMMW. Enjoy!

What's My Line? - Raymond Burr; Buddy Hackett [panel] (Jun 3, 1962)

#1814 of 1814 Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 05:32 AM

United_Artists_Hexagon_1963.png

I have a very rare find I would like to share that is in relation to IAMMMMW. And this is 100% legit, folks. Nothing is fake.

A friend of mine from the Closing Logo Group Wiki obtained a screencap of the United Artists Hexagon, as seen only on the international prints (including the Asian ones) of this film that RAH worked on for the Criterion edition.

http://closinglogos.com/

My friend also said that he saw a copy of the British film Tom Jones with its original UA Hexagon intact years and years ago. I hope he can one day find it again. He also said that according to his research, he can assume, but not yet 100% confirm, that the UA Hexagon was strictly for British UA films (i.e. Three Sundays to Live, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Tom Jones, A Hard Day's Night, Goldfinger, Help!, Thunderbirds are Go, etc.), as well as international prints of American UA films. He came to this assumption when researching information on the original negative of Stranger on Horseback, and comparing it with the international print on the VCI DVD.

Enjoy this beautiful logo to your heart's content.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users