Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1681 of 1817 ONLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 02:19 PM

POPULAR

The Blu-ray release should have come with a shriveled piece of O-neg, captioned with, "Just a taste of what we had to deal with to bring this new restoration to your home..." Nestled with the shrunken brown film strip would be rust particles from the film cans. And a preserved clump of hair, presumably pulled out during the months-long restoration effort.The stench of vinegar should have wafted out of the packaging with the same lurid fervor as the cotton candy stench esconsed in Katy Perry's limited edition CD.
My DVDs

#1682 of 1817 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,039 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 16 2014 - 02:53 PM

After reading some of those imbecilic "reviews," I almost said something nasty, but I won't.Oops, I just did!

#1683 of 1817 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted February 16 2014 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

#1684 of 1817 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:19 PM

POPULAR

Just got through both blurays and would like to thank Criterion and RAH for probably one of the greatest special editions of any movie I've ever seen. I have one of those Sony 3D headsets and watched everything as if it was on a 200ft screen -- what a sight, in all respects.

The extended version was terrific but the audio commentary is one of the best I've ever heard. Considering the three hour running time, I'm sure those three guys had their behind the scenes stories timed to the second, the timing was almost as good as the gags deliverd by the stars in the movie. Loved that Cinerama opening card -- when you saw that, you knew you were in for something special.

The special features also were fantastic -- Stan Freberg, what a legend. Those tv and radio ads -- brilliant (anyone else notice Don Knotts was in one of the radio ads?)

That two part Canadian special on the premiere of the movie -- amazing: in the first show, one of the UA managers or publicity people, telling off one of the tv journalists for not asking enough questions! The second show, at the premiere -- how did they do that?! With that headset of mine on, seeing this sequence, with the camera swirling around Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Sid Caesar and the rest on that red carpet (and listening to everything they said), it was virtual reality.....in black and white. Loved the scene where Mickey Rooney holds up the Governor and the ceremony opening the Cinerama Dome so he could say hello and sign an autograph for a little girl. Unbelevably, we then follow Mickey and his family as they go through the doors of the theatre (where we and Mickey are practcally swallowed up by the crowd!).

Also -- after the movie -- Terry Thomas looking relieved and very happy, but Stanley Kramer, looking very nervous despite everyone raving to him about the picture. I loved the fact that despite what he must have had on his mind at the time, the grace Stanley Kramer showed when what must have been two of his relatives came up to him and started nagging him over how they were going to get home from the theatre. I loved every nano-second of these shows.

Also "The Last 70mm Festival" -- how great it was to see all these people in 2012, talk about 'get up and go' -- I knew it would take heaven and earth to keep Jonathan Winters from such an event and glad to see him, still hilarious, in what has to be his last on camera appearance. Also Mickey Rooney, still, well, Mickey, and a nice tribute everyone paid to Ernest Borgnine, who passed away the day before.

Stuff I would have never had a chance, ever, of seeing -- all in this beautiful set. Also the effort Criterion went with giving a true fan of this picture, what they'd like -- a great little booklet with NEW drawings by Jack Davis -- that truly was a nice touch.

This set is sure to be on high rotation at my place in the years to come. To everyone involved, many thanks from a fan in Australia!

#1685 of 1817 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,444 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 17 2014 - 10:36 AM

You would think they would at least watch the featurette on the restoration. Those common man reviews aren't even laughable because of the lack of knowledge displayed. I feel for them.

I fear for the future.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#1686 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:34 PM

Love this BD so much that I've somehow ended up with three copies of it!  :D

Posted Image
Untitled by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

#1687 of 1817 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,929 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:37 PM

Love this BD so much that I've somehow ended up with three copies of it! :D

Posted Image
Untitled by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Yeah I have two. Lol.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#1688 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:46 PM

POPULAR

Watched and listened to the extended version commentary over the weekend.  What a treat and so very entertaining. Thank you [color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger and Paul Scrabo; great job guys.  This is a gift that keeps on giving.  [/color]

#1689 of 1817 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 08:25 PM

Watched and listened to the extended version commentary over the weekend.  What a treat and so very entertaining. Thank you [color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger and Paul Scrabo; great job guys.  This is a gift that keeps on giving.  [/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Thanks--we're very proud of it.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]FTR, our first pass was pretty free-wheeling with regard to time, because these things are always edited. When we went back to fill some holes, then we did pretty much time things out so as not to lop off the start of something we were keeping.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Mike S.[/color]

#1690 of 1817 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 17 2014 - 09:18 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...d-mad-mad-world
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#1691 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 02:59 PM

OK, received my IAMMMMW 2 CD soundtrack set from La La Land Records.  Thank you so nice to hear the entire score.  You did a great job with what you had to work with.  

About the only thing I'm missing right now are 5 inch action figures of the main cast.

#1692 of 1817 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 20 2014 - 05:21 PM

A Barrie Chase dance figure would be nice. 

#1693 of 1817 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,419 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 06:16 PM

Bobbleheads!

#1694 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 10:53 AM

Will the 2014 reissue of IAMMMMW screen in the Cinerama Dome anytime in the near future?  I'm on the East Coast but I'd make a trip West to see in on a curved screen with a full house.  

#1695 of 1817 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted February 22 2014 - 12:31 PM

Will the 2014 reissue of IAMMMMW screen in the Cinerama Dome anytime in the near future? I'm on the East Coast but I'd make a trip West to see in on a curved screen with a full house.

This reconstruction was done for video by Criterion ( and Mr Harris ). it currently does not exist in the 2K or 4K format used for theatrical exhibition. The quality differences are so pronounced at times that this cut exists more as a historical record rather than a general audience version.

#1696 of 1817 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 12:43 PM

This reconstruction was done for video by Criterion ( and Mr Harris ). it currently does not exist in the 2K or 4K format used for theatrical exhibition. The quality differences are so pronounced at times that this cut exists more as a historical record rather than a general audience version.

[color=#0000cd;]It will be shown again at the Aero on March 30th, presumably in 70mm.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]There are a number of theatres, especially rep houses, than can play DVDs and Blus, so it's not impossible that the longer version could show in such a theatre. I can't imagine MGM/UA would object as long as they get their film rental.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Mike S.[/color]

#1697 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 01:29 PM

I meant the theatrical version, not the extended version. Wasn't a DCP made of the theatrical version?

#1698 of 1817 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted February 22 2014 - 01:58 PM

I meant the theatrical version, not the extended version. Wasn't a DCP made of the theatrical version?

Sorry about that. Yes, the general release version is available in DCP .

#1699 of 1817 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 22 2014 - 04:36 PM

However on the other hand, I'd probably only go see the longer cut in a theater. I just get distracted watching the short version thinking about all the stuff I'm missing
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#1700 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 05:11 PM

Has it screened at the dome recently?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users