-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1813 replies to this topic

#1661 of 1814 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted February 13 2014 - 05:50 AM

My copy of IAMMMMW did not arrive yesterday.  What did arrive was a £12.39 tax bill.  £4.39 to the government and £8 handling fee. This is in addition to the 65p Amex charged me for buying the discs.  Plus a 10-mile drive to collect the discs.

Reluctantly I've decided to let the discs get sent back to Amazon.com.  I'd rather not see the film than give our taxman and our Post Office their hard-earned money.  They can have the expense of sending it back. 

Next time have a friend in the U.S. who has Amazon Prime buy one for you, re-package it, and ship it to you as a gift with low $ value.

To quote the words of the late, great Sid Caesar:

"I'm sure he's not gonna declare anything. And I know, I know he's not going to declare anything. And I'm not gonna....Ya know, declare."

#1662 of 1814 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:41 AM

I was lucky in Germany, I did not have to pay duty (which is 19% the cost of the item plus postage) Paid $29.99 plus $4.99). I expected to pay duty. Maybe another customs man might have charged duty - it is on the border line.-

Again sad to hear about Sid Caeser.

#1663 of 1814 Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted February 13 2014 - 07:57 AM

Well if you've got it from Amazon you can just pay the tax upfront and avoid the handling fee altogether. Select Expedited shipping and they'll add the tax to the order, and you'll never see a customs bill again.

Sadly, this seems to work out no cheaper for us importing into the UK.

#1664 of 1814 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:40 AM

I'm not sure how you figure that. Right now Mad World will cost you £26.42 from Amazon.com with standard shipping. If it gets hit by customs (which is very likely in my experience with Amazon), it'll cost you an additional £13.28, which is £39.70 total.

Order it with Expedited Shipping (which automatically adds the import tax), you'll pay £34.33 and not a penny more. That's over a fiver less! And after 60 days from dispatch, Amazon may refund you the import tax (which in this case is £5.72) if the package was never actually picked up by customs, making the actual total £28.61! That's over a tenner less!

#1665 of 1814 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 340 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted February 13 2014 - 02:09 PM

http://www.thedigita...ad-mad-world-bd

Straight A+ across the board is right.

#1666 of 1814 Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:05 PM

I didn't think anything could depress me more than Shirley Temple's death; but losing Sid Caesar the very next day was the proverbial "double whammy." The Golden Age is slipping away from us, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

This one really hurt because, as with Jonathan Winters' death last year, there doesn't seem to be anyone who can replace him. A selection of tributes from the Entertainment community follow -- including some heavy-hitter colleagues from his YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS "Dream Team," who loved and respected Caesar:

WOODY ALLEN -- "He was one of the truly great comedians of my time and one of the finest privileges I've had in my entire career was that I was able to work for him." 

NEIL SIMON -- "The first time I saw Caesar it was like seeing a new country. All other comics were basically doing situations with farcical characters. Caesar was doing life."

MEL BROOKS -- "Sid Caesar was a giant, maybe the best comedian who ever practiced the trade. I was privileged to be one of his writers and one of his friends."

CARL REINER -- "Inarguably he was the greatest single monologist and skit comedian we ever had. Television owes him a debt of gratitude for his pioneering work and the great shows he gave us all."

In 1983, Caesar hosted an episode of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, where he received a standing ovation at the start of the show and was awarded a plaque that declared him an honorary cast member. Caesar's work was a major influence on SNL, of course. (He would also receive a spontaneous standing ovation from the cast and audience of WHO'S LINE IS IT ANYWAY?, yet another program he influenced, when he guested in 2001.) I haven't watched SNL for years, but I'll try to catch it this weekend in case they do a tribute. 

RIP to a comic genius, and thanks for a lifetime of laughs.

• davidmatychuk likes this

#1667 of 1814 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 460 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted February 13 2014 - 05:00 PM

SNL won't be live again until Mar 1, after the Olympics.

#1668 of 1814 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 13 2014 - 05:02 PM

SNL is off until March for the Olympics
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#1669 of 1814 Popcorn1

Popcorn1

Auditioning

• 8 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted February 14 2014 - 04:55 AM

Not sure if this was already done in previous posts, but just for the hell of it I timed the reinstated footage:

Act 1:  20 minutes 35 seconds

Act 2:  6 minutes 31 seconds

Total: 27 minutes 6 seconds

I didn't count the Police Radio Calls since I'm not sure if the silent gaps in between were counted as time for the 192 minute original roadshow.

#1670 of 1814 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,806 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 14 2014 - 05:19 AM

My copy of IAMMMMW did not arrive yesterday.  What did arrive was a £12.39 tax bill.  £4.39 to the government and £8 handling fee. This is in addition to the 65p Amex charged me for buying the discs.  Plus a 10-mile drive to collect the discs.

Reluctantly I've decided to let the discs get sent back to Amazon.com.  I'd rather not see the film than give our taxman and our Post Office their hard-earned money.  They can have the expense of sending it back. 

My tax bill today was also £12.39 so at least they are consistent!

That makes a total cost of £35.75 ($59.75) which of course is an absurd price. I'm pragmatic though. It's a unique package with masses of extras which I really want and if that's what it costs.... then that's what it costs. There are hardly any other films which I would pay that much for though. 

What's wanted on this side of the Atlantic is for a UK or European distributor to be pro-active in obtaining agreements from Crterion (and also Twilight Time for that matter) so that discs with the same material could be released in region B. This has happened ocassionally with identical Criterion material but not very often.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#1671 of 1814 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted February 15 2014 - 03:37 PM

A little late to this party...but what's a couple of extra weeks after waiting so long?

To Mr. Harris, who has likened his contribution to creating "a burlap bag from a sow's ear"...well...I would disagree. Of course it wasn't silk - I don't think anyone with a shred of sense expected that given the challenges in just stitching it all back together again - I would liken it more to a finely combed cotton distressed by wear and tear over time. Despite some frayed edges plus a couple of unavoidable patches, this iconic film is now closer to its premiere form than ever previously thought possible. So in terms of the film history alone that you've helped reclaim, this release is of inestimable value. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

To the members of this forum, a sidebar question regarding the restored CINERAMA credit sequence. During the second of my 2 recent viewings (first without and then with commentary), I caught something odd in the credits. At about the 4:22 mark we see a jumble of names with "Keaton" at the very bottom, upside down and at an angle. But then in the following card we see his name again, expressed this time as "Buster Keaton". Has this duplication of "Keaton" always been there and I just never noticed it before, or was it something unique to the 1st roadshow CINERAMA credit sequence? Unfortunately, I don't have the MGM/Fox Blu-ray handy to compare.

Anyone? Bueller?

#1672 of 1814 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 15 2014 - 03:58 PM

At about the 4:22 mark we see a jumble of names with "Keaton" at the very bottom, upside down and at an angle. But then in the following card we see his name again, expressed this time as "Buster Keaton". Has this duplication of "Keaton" always been there and I just never noticed it before, or was it something unique to the 1st roadshow CINERAMA credit sequence? Unfortunately, I don't have the MGM/Fox Blu-ray handy to compare.

Anyone? Bueller?

Try watching the other Criterion disc...
  • ROclockCK likes this

#1673 of 1814 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 04:08 PM

The jumble of names with "Keaton" at the very bottom, upside down and at an angle is also on the MGM Blu-ray. And, if I recall correctly, it's always been that way.

#1674 of 1814 Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 437 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted February 15 2014 - 04:09 PM

The upside down Keaton has always been there.  It was a special thrill to finally see "IN CINERAMA", though.

#1675 of 1814 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted February 15 2014 - 04:46 PM

Try watching the other Criterion disc...

Well duhhh...for some stunned reason, that never occurred to me. :blush:

According to other members, that dupe "Keaton" credit has always been there though. Just jumped out this time around...never noticed it before...even in CINERAMA.

#1676 of 1814 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,335 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 05:33 AM

Just for kicks, I went to Amazon to check out reviews of this Criterion Blu-ray....

...you know, get the "average Joe" perspective on its release...

...and to give something like this justice, you need to click on the 1-star review links.

Now, clearly, I can't sit here totally amused at the "average Joe" perspective.  These are

clearly individuals who have no clue as to the history of this film, the fight to get it restored,

and the limitations in budget and time to have the job done correctly.

Check out some of these remarks...

The Criterion Collection's restored 193 minute version of the 1963 Roadshow film is very badly presented. It is 80% unwatchable. Most of the screen is discolored or even black & white. I can understand that the 30 minutes that is restored is inserted the best they could find, but why does the entire film look so badly. It's as if they only could find a bad print to release.

The extended version (the reason I bought it) is so poor it's unwatchable. Chapters freeze video while the audio advances. The color changes and sometimes goes to B&W. The resolution changes quite often. Also closed captions (in different languages) pops up from time to time. I only watched the Blue Ray version, But I can't imagine the DVD is any better. 

Movie is good but added content was inserted into the movie looked like it was amateur done I would rather watch the regular version which in my opinion is better. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1677 of 1814 English Patient

English Patient

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 06:44 AM

Now, clearly, I can't sit here totally amused at the "average Joe" perspective.  These are

clearly individuals who have no clue as to the history of this film, the fight to get it restored,

and the limitations in budget and time to have the job done correctly.

Agreed. I think the average person has an incredibly distorted, naive and optimistic attitude about movie restoration. They'll see one of the marquee catalog titles like Casablanca or Lawrence of Arabia or Gone With the Wind and automatically assume that EVERY older title is capable of being restored in such a way. Watching the Mad World restoration featurette was very enlightening and sobering - the lengths Mr. Harris and his team had to go to just to get a serviceable piece of footage are really breathtaking and admirable. It's a lot like what archaeologists do when they piece together bits of a tattered ancient manuscript. And what is really alarming is that these films aren't thousands of years old, like ancient Middle Eastern tablets - they're less than a hundred years old and yet they are so fragile that they deteriorate significantly even when they're being stored and handled with some care. That's been the recurring theme of most of these restoration featurettes on various blu-rays (such as the "Emulsion Rescue" doc on The Godfather Collection) - the astonishing fragility of film.

Add to this the relatively small amount of funding that goes to restoring these films, and it's a miracle any catalog title gets properly preserved and restored at all.

#1678 of 1814 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 07:16 AM

I guess "JSP" must have ignored the disclaimer at the beginning of the restored version that explained what was about to unfold. But, then again, "JSP" probably fast forwarded past the sections that had a black screen with just music playing as well.

#1679 of 1814 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:23 AM

You would think they would at least watch the featurette on the restoration. Those common man reviews aren't even laughable because of the lack of knowledge displayed. I feel for them.
  • TylerFitzgerald likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#1680 of 1814 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted February 16 2014 - 02:17 PM

No matter how many times I warn and explain it to him, a friend of mine makes a lot of his choices judged on Amazon reviews.

After being disappointed with the quality of a disc he'd just bought.

Me: " Why on earth did you buy that disc?"

Friend: " I read the reviews (Amazon) and they all said the quality was good."

Some people never learn.

Doug.

• ahollis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users