Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1823 replies to this topic

#141 of 1824 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,139 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 16 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'd been wondering if Criterion would provide a program book reproduction, or at least a reproduction of the center foldout with key to all the faces. They only mention an essay in the list of features, so maybe yes, maybe not. (I have my original which you'd have to pry out of my cold dead hands, but just wondered.)

I have the same original program and yes, only from my cold dead hands.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#142 of 1824 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 07:53 PM

[color=#0000cd;]Robert, I wish I'd known you were in town. Haven't seen you in ages and it woulda been nice to get caught up.  :( [/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Mike S.[/color]

#143 of 1824 OFFLINE   its.amd

its.amd

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 08:06 PM

It isn't just my involvement.  The concept of "good enough" is not in the Criterion mindset.  They have done everything possible to make this release of the highest possible order, within the confines of extant film elements.

RAH

well this release sounds good but there are MAJOR flaws...

the dropped doc from the MGM disc

the fact you did not use seamless branching, that way each version was on 1 disc (and still could use high bit rates)

the fact you crammed each of the 2 blu-rays with extras (where movie already is

this release should only be 2 discs - both only blu-ray / no dvd's included

disc 1 both versions of film ia seamless branching with commentary  -  disc 2 having all the bonus features

back to the drawing board criterion

#144 of 1824 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Screenwriter

• 1,109 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 08:11 PM

Preordered! Thanks Robert Harris and all involved for your hard work. . One of my childhood favorites.

Edited by trajan, October 16 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#145 of 1824 OFFLINE   savowoll

savowoll

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 08:17 PM

the fact you did not use seamless branching, that way each version was on 1 disc (and still could use high bit rates)

disc 1 both versions of film ia seamless branching with commentary  -  disc 2 having all the bonus features

SIGH, I agree.  People are praising the release (despite all its flaws) just because everyone is sooo exited to finally get it, that they look over the botches made to the amount of discs and fact it will be bit-rate starved (on main feature) so they can cram more extras on each disc, when the extras should be on their own disc.

#146 of 1824 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 08:30 PM

And this is what happens when I get busy at work and don't pay attention to these announcements for one day.

I've been waiting for the lid to come off for some time now.

Thanks to RAH for posting the photo from our first dinner. Although my red pupils might bring some here to conclude I am part vampire...

It was an absolute pleasure to share some time and some meals with RAH and to finally meet in person.

RAH was good enough to teach me a bit about the process he was using to deal with the color issue examined a few pages above.

I never made it to see the actual work being done, but we discussed much at length.  And RAH actually got to meet my supervisor at home, the one who actually approves all my reviews for this site before I post them.  Although she does tend to dog-ear them...

#147 of 1824 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 09:17 PM

On behalf of the Royal Family, the British government and the people of the United Kingdom, thank you!

#148 of 1824 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2013 - 09:21 PM

POPULAR

well this release sounds good but there are MAJOR flaws...  the dropped doc from the MGM disc  the fact you did not use seamless branching, that way each version was on 1 disc (and still could use high bit rates)  the fact you crammed each of the 2 blu-rays with extras (where movie already is this release should only be 2 discs - both only blu-ray / no dvd's included disc 1 both versions of film ia seamless branching with commentary  -  disc 2 having all the bonus features back to the drawing board criterion

Actually no. Here's why you're wrong:The differences between the two versions are EXTENSIVE. It's not a matter of dropping in scenes, but sometimes just a few frames. Trying to branch something like this would lead to an unwatchable film, so that puts us to 2 discs on Blu.Now you worry about too much material being on the discs, and you ALSO want the MGM doc? Considering everything that is new, I think it's reasonable to leave off the old documentary that fans would have already on either the Laserdisc, first DVD and first Blu-Ray in favor of NEW material. Criterion doesn't put 480 material on Blu for the reason of keeping HDMI handshakes from jumping resolutions, so you can't make the argument that it's only a small file, it would be upscaled to 1080 for this release if included.Blu can easily handle over 4 hours on a disc in HD, so the first disc with the shorter film has plenty of room for the bulk of the extras with some likely rounding out space on Blu disc 2. Note the DVD configuration is as you would like - a single disc for each film version and then a third DVD with extras.Criterion releases ALL new titles as of Nov '13 with dual format which is a great thing. Not everyone has Blu at every tv, so now you have a DVD for other places, or if you haven't yet upgraded to Blu you have it when you do. The price for 5 discs is the same as you would pay for 2 Blu discs only so why on earth would you mind getting a DVD copy for free?I think you might want to go back to the drawing board if you want to post here more regularly.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#149 of 1824 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,069 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 09:56 PM

So what?  It's on the MGM blu-ray.  And there are so many other extra features already in this release and excluding one is hardly a dealbreaker.

Who's to say the bitrate will be poor based on this info alone?  Most of the extras will probably be SD, hardly affecting it if at all. 

All mainline Criterion releases are Dual format now, eliminating the need to release separate DVD editions.  While not ideal from a consumer standpoint consumers, it is a very sound economic decision by Criterion to reduce resource use and still keeps DVD-only consumers from being entirely excluded.  And unlike other labels, Criterion wisely chose not to jack up the price of the overall product (except from a DVD consumer perspective).

....You can't be serious

Edited by JoHud, October 16 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#150 of 1824 OFFLINE   JColl

JColl

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:24 PM

Wow! I assumed this couldn't happen. Amazing.

#151 of 1824 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hey, Moe.  As always, I'm totally confused about the running times.

The original roadshow running time is usually given as 192 minutes.Over on that godawful Criterion forum you said that doesn't include the music (the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit Music, presumably) which adds up to about nine minutes.Actually, I think the original 192 running time did count the music.

What has always confused things are those Intermission police bulletins, which might have been about ten minutes and which were never counted as part of the running time.

If they're being counted now, we get a running time closer to 202 minutes, which would make sense given that the restoration is 197:40, with still a few minutes missing. 

So I'd like to know if you, or RAH, or anyone could verify how much is still missing, what the running time would be if everything had been found and restored, and whether or not it counts those $%# police bulletins.

Of course, the booklet may clarify all of this.  Then again, maybe it won't.Also, someone somewhere said that little bits and pieces are still being found.  You'd think after fifty years everything would be found by now.  How can it be at the last minute things are still turning up?  Who's finding these things, and where are they finding them?

#152 of 1824 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,291 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:34 PM

Where is Eric Federing?

http://articles.phil...nny-film-screen

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#153 of 1824 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hey, Moe. As always, I'm totally confused about the running times.The original roadshow running time is usually given as 192 minutes.Over on that godawful Criterion forum you said that doesn't include the music (the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit Music, presumably) which adds up to about nine minutes.Actually, I think the original 192 running time did count the music.What has always confused things are those Intermission police bulletins, which might have been about ten minutes and which were never counted as part of the running time.If they're being counted now, we get a running time closer to 202 minutes, which would make sense given that the restoration is 197:40, with still a few minutes missing.So I'd like to know if you, or RAH, or anyone could verify how much is still missing, what the running time would be if everything had been found and restored, and whether or not it counts those $%# police bulletins.Of course, the booklet may clarify all of this. Then again, maybe it won't.

The Premiere Roadshow ran 201 minutes inclusive of music wraps and police calls.The re-cut Roadshow ran 162 minutes with music wraps, but w/o police calls.The general release version ran 154 minutes, was 35mm only, and had neither music wraps nor police calls.Before you ask, the only differences between the 35mm print down and 70mm releases were the presentation credit and aspect ratio. And of course, dye transfer vs direct positive optical printing.RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#154 of 1824 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:59 PM

Holy Crap! I am stunned and beyond excited for this release. My only beef is that I wish this came out in December-- not just for the 50th anniversary proper, but to give this out to everyone I know as Christmas presents! My Dad's favorite movie-- wish he was still around so I could watch this with him. Thanks Ron, for your enthusiasm, and RAH, for your expertise. 

#155 of 1824 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,777 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:59 PM

POPULAR

Swell of you to join up today and make this your first post. Wow.

#156 of 1824 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,777 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 16 2013 - 11:11 PM

SIGH, I agree.  People are praising the release (despite all its flaws) just because everyone is sooo exited to finally get it, that they look over the botches made to the amount of discs and fact it will be bit-rate starved (on main feature) so they can cram more extras on each disc, when the extras should be on their own disc.

How do you know any of this?  You have no idea if it will be bit-starved or not - I don't think Criterion goes in for bit-starving, do you, not that I really think you'd notice one way or another in a blind viewing test.  You notice when you see a number - it's funny how that works.   It's a little early to be crying "botches" isn't it?  I mean, why even make such a post, and right on the heels of the other newcomer?

#157 of 1824 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 11:23 PM

How do you know any of this? You have no idea if it will be bit-starved or not - I don't think Criterion goes in for bit-starving, do you, not that I really think you'd notice one way or another in a blind viewing test. You notice when you see a number - it's funny how that works. It's a little early to be crying "botches" isn't it? I mean, why even make such a post, and right on the heels of the other newcomer?

Agreed. One would have to work very hard to bit-starve any film with a 2.76:1 aspect ratio. A single Blu could probably hold up to five hours of full quality content.RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#158 of 1824 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 12:05 AM

IIRC Sony originally designed Blu-Ray to use the ancient MPEG-2 video codec, hence the inclusion of 50gb dual layer discs as part of the original blu-ray specs. They added the more efficient modern VC-1 and H264/AVC codecs to the specs at the last minute. Hence why many early blu-ray discs were MPEG-2. Most discs released today use H264/AVC, which is the most efficient of the three codecs. The 50gb blu-ray disc is simply overkill for most films encoded using modern video codecs with the exception of 4 hour epics like Gone With the Wind.

Bottomline, one dual-layer blu-ray disc properly encoded using H264/AVC shouldn't be bit-starved, even at 197 minutes.

#159 of 1824 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,320 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 12:39 AM

POPULAR

By the way...

I don't mind that some members are already preordering this title

directly from Criterion.  If that is your preference, I completely understand.

However, I expect an Amazon preorder will appear within the next few

days.  If that is your ordering preference, I would kindly like to ask that you

order it from the link we will provide -- if only for the valuable information and

conversation this forum has provided for you.

As always, much appreciated.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#160 of 1824 OFFLINE   Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 01:31 AM

I never thought I'd see the day, honestly! I'm happy to eat my words, btw, as I file this in the "Too-good-to-be-true-but-IS-anyway!" drawer, (which is currently empty, nacherly.)

Besides ordering this immediately (needless to say), I'm personally going to send a copy to Leonard Maltin, whose negative review of IAMMMMW in TV MOVIES always irked me, and ruins an otherwise invaluable resource. Maybe the Criterion release will make the film snob hipsters and bellyaching nonbelievers give the movie another chance. I'd like to think so.

(I still say Bert Lahr should have played the Fire Chief. Or Ed Wynn. Or Liberace. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users