Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1823 replies to this topic

#941 of 1824 OFFLINE   bogies4

bogies4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:56 PM

Thank you for the packaging photos

#942 of 1824 OFFLINE   bogies4

bogies4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 11:38 PM

The fact that the 2 page (plus) spread of Jack Davis' artwork is also included just added more frosting to this cake for me.

#943 of 1824 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted January 09 2014 - 03:06 AM

So he's so important he can have as many typos as he wants and we have to figure out what the $%#@ he's trying to say?  Is that your point? Does he have to show us any respect?

Yes and No.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#944 of 1824 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:19 AM

Having seen it, albeit not on Blu-ray, my feeling is that, much like the Fox three-strip films, it is what it is. Every bit of footage from which we could harvest some sort of image, excluding some bits and pieces that don't belong, is in the project.Quality of the reconstructed footage is a solid 1.5 or thereabouts.

1.5 as in 1.5 out of 10? If it's 10, that kind of paints the reconstructed footage as pretty much unwatchable, where as if it's 5 it's incredibly distracting. Now I'm very concerned.

#945 of 1824 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,456 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:20 AM

Interesting...Do I interpret those images correctly....do the discs just slide into sleeves, no retention trays???  

Yup, that's exactly how it's packaged - and I gotta admit it seems a bit on the flimsy side...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#946 of 1824 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:41 AM

1.5 as in 1.5 out of 10? If it's 10, that kind of paints the reconstructed footage as pretty much unwatchable, where as if it's 5 it's incredibly distracting. Now I'm very concerned.

If you look at RAH's reviews, they are out of 5.The reconstructed material is far from unwatchable, from what I've seen at FotoKem, but it's not going to look like material from large format negative, so that's more as a comparison to the pristine footage than an absolute, I would guess.If someone can't handle the quality shifts, then there is the general release version on disc one for them.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#947 of 1824 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:35 AM

He respects us by taking the time to answer our questions, share his knowledge and write some of the most informed reviews of home media I've ever read.  

Not to mention the actual work he did on this title (and others).

#948 of 1824 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:39 AM

And three more to finish out the set.  BTW, the ironing board isn't included! :D

I have to supply my own ironing board??? NO SALE!!  ;)

#949 of 1824 OFFLINE   CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:40 AM

If you look at RAH's reviews, they are out of 5.The reconstructed material is far from unwatchable, from what I've seen at FotoKem, but it's not going to look like material from large format negative, so that's more as a comparison to the pristine footage than an absolute, I would guess.If someone can't handle the quality shifts, then there is the general release version on disc one for them.

I think RAH was speaking relatively.  

And even if the footage is rough in spots, it is what it is.  That's what happens when you get people decades prior who don't think to properly preserve stuff.  

This won't be an ideal restoration, but we can see what once was.  Just like the Metropolis restoration, which relied upon some very, very battered scenes to complete the missing gaps.  It wasn't by choice or lack of initiative, it literally was all there was, and it was a freaking miracle that footage was even preserved, because it came from a cut of the film that was available to the public for all of a few weeks before being cut down.  

#950 of 1824 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:30 AM

Yes and No.

You're absolutely wrong.  No one in this world is more important than anyone else.

#951 of 1824 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,177 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:40 AM

POPULAR

You're absolutely wrong. No one in this world is more important than anyone else.

This warning is for all, stop sidetracking this thread! Nobody wants to read this stuff about respect or disrespect. Reading this thread should be an enjoyable experience for us all without these non-value issues disrupting what we all want to know about this BD.

#952 of 1824 OFFLINE   CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:41 AM

POPULAR

This warning is for all, stop sidetracking this thread. Nobody wants to read this stuff about respect or disrespect. Reading this thread should be an enjoyable experience for us all without these non-value issues disrupting what we all want to know about this BD.

Hear, hear!  I'd be all in favor of deleting the offending posts.

#953 of 1824 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hear, hear!  I'd be all in favor of deleting the offending posts.

+1

#954 of 1824 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:53 AM

RAH has very high standards. Recently he gave the image quality of The Black Swan a "2" (out of "5"). Not having his trained eye to notice all the variables that can detract from a perfect presentation, I thought it looked fine.

If the restored footage of IAMMMMW only rates a "1.5" in his opinion, I'm sure that I'll be more than able to live with it. As will most others.

That this restoration has happened at all after so many years is a miracle in itself!!

#955 of 1824 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,775 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:58 AM

Quality of the reconstructed footage is a solid 1.5 or thereabouts.

Is 1.5 similar to the extra footage on the roadshow South Pacific BD?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#956 of 1824 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,125 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 09:14 AM

Is 1.5 similar to the extra footage on the roadshow South Pacific BD?

Mad World is very unique.  No comparisons to anything that has ever appeared.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#957 of 1824 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 09:52 AM

What's the fuss. The LD had some patchy-looking footage. Nobody complained at the time. It is what it is, and it's more than we had.

#958 of 1824 OFFLINE   CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 09:54 AM

What's the fuss. The LD had some patchy-looking footage. Nobody complained at the time. It is what it is, and it's more than we had.

Hear, hear.  It sure beats having to watch a Rick Schmidlin reconstruction.  Not because those are bad, but because it is so painful to watch and realize what is lost forever.

At least we HAVE picture and sound elements here.

#959 of 1824 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 09 2014 - 10:04 AM

I found the Greed reconstruction to be riveting, even with two hours of stills.

#960 of 1824 OFFLINE   CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 10:08 AM

I found the Greed reconstruction to be riveting, even with two hours of stills.

I agree, and I wasn't being critical of those kinds of restorations.  Just that they can be quite sad in that they are usually done because the footage is gone forever.  Same with "A Star Is Born."  We can be grateful that in the case of IAMMMMW, that it was possible to more or less reconstitute the original roadshow release, even if it's not all uniformly brilliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users