-

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• Please log in to reply
1813 replies to this topic

#921 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 01:37 PM

POPULAR

Having seen it, albeit not on Blu-ray, my feeling is that, much like the Fox three-strip films, it is what it is.  Every bit of footage from which we could harvest some sort of image, excluding some bits and pieces that don't below, is in the project.

Quality of the reconstructed footage is a solid 1.5 or thereabouts.

As I believe I've noted in the past, we have made a burlap purse from a sow's ear.  This one is for the fans, and as a record of what the film was.

RAH

And yet, these kinds of reconstructions are the ones I tend to enjoy the most...because I can see the labor that went into it, and I can better appreciate the fragility of the medium.  It makes the work that much more precious, like the final restoration of Metropolis, and its newly discovered, albeit badly marred scenes.

• MatthewA, Brian Kidd, Stephen_J_H and 2 others like this

#922 of 1814 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 03:13 PM

Criterion fouled this release up and bit-rate starved it BECAUSE they released it wrong.

There Should have been 3 blu-rays

blu-ray 1 = theatrical release with commentary   at max bit-rate so it takes up the whole dual-layer disc

blu-ray 2 = the roadshow version ONLY   at max bit-rate so it takes up the whole dual-layer disc

blu-ray 3 = all the estras they were releasing + the MGM doc Criterion fouled up by not releasing

then for the dvd's should been 3 of them configured the same above.

So you have the set already? How does it look?
  • Adam Gregorich likes this
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#923 of 1814 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 03:32 PM

POPULAR

Modman, you have no idea what you're talking about. BD can handle 4-5 hours at top bit rate of HD.
  • Robert Harris, Peter Apruzzese, Craig S and 1 other like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#924 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 03:41 PM

Modman, you have no idea what you're talking about. BD can handle 4-5 hours at top bit rate of HD.

Ditto.  The wide aspect ratios means a lot of the image area is just black bars, which is very easy to handle compression wise.  Heaven's Gate fit quite well on disc for the same reason.   Same for Lawrence of Arabia.  Both films are far, far longer than the general release or road show cuts of IAMMMW.

• Robert Harris and Peter Apruzzese like this

#925 of 1814 Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:40 PM

Not on my setup

#926 of 1814 bogies4

bogies4

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:56 PM

Can one of you early reviewers, PLEASE, post an image of the packaging and contents.  

Many Thx

#927 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 05:01 PM

Can one of you early reviewers, PLEASE, post an image of the packaging and contents.  

Many Thx

Unfortunately in many cases, the early reviewers get just discs sans packaging, often because the design work and packaging is still being finalized and proofed.  But maybe we'll get lucky and one of them will post images.  Also, sometimes people who preorder get their discs early.  

I'm going to be interested how they package the 5 discs....

#928 of 1814 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 05:29 PM

Having seen it, albeit not on Blu-ray, my feeling is that, much like the Fox three-strip films, it is what it is.  Every bit of footage from which we could harvest some sort of image, excluding some bits and pieces that don't below, is in the project.

RAH

Remember how in the old days when people rented videotapes the signs said "please rewind"?  I'd like signs here saying "please proofread."

What does "some bits and pieces that don't below" mean?

Can I guess you meant "that don't belong"?

If I've guessed right, then I'd like to ask:  Belong in what sense?  Were they outtakes or from the longer version that was previewed, or what?

#929 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 05:35 PM

POPULAR

Remember how in the old days when people rented videotapes the signs said "please rewind"?  I'd like signs here saying "please proofread."

If I've guessed right, then I'd like to ask:  Belong in what sense?  Were they outtakes or from the longer version that was previewed, or what?

Are you new here?  That's Robert Harris.  So he made a typo.  BFD, you figured it out.  No need to call someone out on it like an 8th grade English teacher.  Show the man some respect.

• Rick CHO, Danny Burk, ahollis and 1 other like this

#930 of 1814 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:01 PM

So he's so important he can have as many typos as he wants and we have to figure out what the $%#@ he's trying to say?  Is that your point?

Does he have to show us any respect?

#931 of 1814 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,469 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:31 PM

POPULAR

The last post seriously reads like something Ethel Merman's character would say in the film.

• Danny Burk, ahollis, ROclockCK and 1 other like this

#932 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:35 PM

So he's so important he can have as many typos as he wants and we have to figure out what the $%#@ he's trying to say?  Is that your point?

Does he have to show us any respect?

He respects us by taking the time to answer our questions, share his knowledge and write some of the most informed reviews of home media I've ever read.  

• Peter Apruzzese and Conor Lynch like this

#933 of 1814 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,453 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:45 PM

POPULAR

Remember how in the old days when people rented videotapes the signs said "please rewind"? I'd like signs here saying "please proofread."

If I've guessed right, then I'd like to ask: Belong in what sense? Were they outtakes or from the longer version that was previewed, or what?

Simple. Belong in the sense that they appeared in the long version of the film, and not some previous cut.

You have a unique and interesting attitude that doesn't fly with me. Let me be blunt. I'm on a project, and trying to check in at HTF when I have a very rare free moment, for those readers who deserve to have legit questions and concerns answered.

I am neither your servant nor your buddy. If you worked for me, you'd be out on the street.

Apparently, my iPad did one its wonderful self-corrections, which hopefully you'll excuse.

I'll not be responding to your inane comments in the future.

Have a pleasant evening.

RAH
  • Reed Grele, Rob W, Tino and 13 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#934 of 1814 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,697 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:51 PM

Remember how in the old days when people rented videotapes the signs said "please rewind"? I'd like signs here saying "please proofread."

If I've guessed right, then I'd like to ask: Belong in what sense? Were they outtakes or from the longer version that was previewed, or what?

I think if you go back to the IAMMMMW threads back in October when the title was announced, you will find your answer. It was covered by RAH and Moe D.

#935 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:58 PM

POPULAR

Simple. Belong in the sense that they appeared in the long version of the film, and not some previous cut.

You have a unique and interesting attitude that doesn't fly with me. Let me be blunt. I'm on a project, and trying to check in at HTF when I have a very rare free moment, for those readers who deserve to have legit questions and concerns answered.

I am neither your servant nor your buddy. If you worked for me, you'd be out on the street.

Apparently, my iPad did one its wonderful self-corrections, which hopefully you'll excuse.

I'll not be responding to your inane comments in the future.

Have a pleasant evening.

RAH

I hope I speak for the all the rest of the members of this forum when I say I'm sorry for Joe's rudeness.  We all are SO appreciative of your presence here, on top of what I can only imagine must be an extremely busy and demanding schedule.  

You're a valued, respected commentator, and I hope one member's rude, condescending and ignorant attitude won't linger too long in your memory.  I for one look forward to every new review you post, and your commentary on IAMMMMW has been particularly rich and insightful.

Brian Rose

• Reed Grele, Peter Apruzzese, MarkA and 8 others like this

#936 of 1814 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,453 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:07 PM

POPULAR

I hope I speak for the all the rest of the members of this forum when I say I'm sorry for Joe's rudeness.  We all are SO appreciative of your presence here, on top of what I can only imagine must be an extremely busy and demanding schedule.  

You're a valued, respected commentator, and I hope one member's rude, condescending and ignorant attitude won't linger too long in your memory.  I for one look forward to every new review you post, and your commentary on IAMMMMW has been particularly rich and insightful.

Brian Rose

Brian,

Your comment is appreciated. Thank you. HTF is a wonderful place, and my words concern only one member. Very long days and nights. No time for BS.

More than happy to help anyone who actually needs info.

R
  • MarkA, Danny Burk, ahollis and 2 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#937 of 1814 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 302 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:12 PM

Simply for his restorations of so many important films Mr. Harris deserves our respect.  That he takes what little time he has to post reviews and comments is a favor, a gift to us.  He also speaks with a background and knowledge which no one here can even approach.  We should cherish his words, not pick at them.  And let it also be said more than once when he has made any mistake, he is the first to acknowledge it.   Bad manners are never acceptable.

All that said, as much as I enjoy most of what I read on this forum, it does seem petty bickering and one up man ship often often ruins and ends interesting and meaningful discussions.  This is a forum, not a wrestling match. 

• Conor Lynch likes this

#938 of 1814 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:59 PM

Unfortunately in many cases, the early reviewers get just discs sans packaging, often because the design work and packaging is still being finalized and proofed.  But maybe we'll get lucky and one of them will post images.  Also, sometimes people who preorder get their discs early.  

I'm going to be interested how they package the 5 discs....

Bingo bango!

IMG_15621.JPG

IMG_15631.JPG

IMG_15661.JPG

• lukejosephchung and Conor Lynch like this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#939 of 1814 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:01 PM

And three more to finish out the set.  BTW, the ironing board isn't included! :D

IMG_15681.JPG

IMG_15671.JPG

IMG_15691.JPG

• lukejosephchung and Conor Lynch like this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#940 of 1814 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:04 PM

Interesting...Do I interpret those images correctly....do the discs just slide into sleeves, no retention trays???  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users