Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1800 replies to this topic

#901 of 1801 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:11 PM

Here we go again.  Last year, a lot of you knew about this restoration before us ordinary peasants did.  Now we have someone who's seen it two weeks before it's released.

I'd like to ask how, but I'm sure I won't be told.  But that's okay.  I'm used to always being on the outside looking in.

If I recall correctly, Colin reviews discs for another site so that's how he got a review copy.

#902 of 1801 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:50 PM

I anticipate having a copy in my hands this very week as well.

Ron,

You'd be more than welcome to come to Beacon Falls and review it on my new 2.76x1 screen. :biggrin:

#903 of 1801 cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted January 07 2014 - 02:04 PM

oh you lucky guys getting the advance copy!! :cheers:

• ahollis likes this
Thanks!
Chris

#904 of 1801 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 290 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted January 07 2014 - 02:25 PM

POPULAR

They should have buried one advance copy only, and let all the reviewers try to find it.

• Reed Grele, Neil S. Bulk, Peter Apruzzese and 9 others like this

#905 of 1801 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 07 2014 - 03:09 PM

They should have buried one advance copy only, and let all the reviewers try to find it.

That would be marketing gold, I could see it now

BREAKING NEWS AT THIS HOUR, REPORTS ARE COMING IN OF MASS GROUPS TEARING UP THE ENTIRE NORTH AMERICAN CONTINENT LOOKING FOR OF ALL THINGS A SINGLE COPY OF A BLU-RAY, WE ALSO HAVE REPORTS OF HIS ACTIVITY GOING ACROSS THE POND IN EUROPE, SOUTH AMERICA, AUSTRAILA AND NEW ZEALAND, AND OF ALL PLACES ANARCTICA AS WELL.

• ahollis likes this

#906 of 1801 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 07 2014 - 03:22 PM

I displayed these faded 70mm Ultra-Panavision partial film frames earlier in the thread, but after all the recent discussion regarding the rectified edges, here they are again.

It gives you some idea of just how difficult it must have been to correct those edges, not to mention a multitude of other problems.

So congratulations to all those involved in the project.

Reports indicate a stunning success.

MAD WORLD original.jpg  

I ordered my copy yesterday and like all the others on the waiting list, I can't wait.

Doug.

#907 of 1801 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 03:34 PM

POPULAR

I displayed these faded 70mm Ultra-Panavision partial film frames earlier in the thread, but after all the recent discussion regarding the rectified edges, here they are again.

It gives you some idea of just how difficult it must have been to correct those edges, not to mention a multitude of other problems.

So congratulations to all those involved in the project.

Reports indicate a stunning success.

attachicon.gifMAD WORLD original.jpg

I ordered my copy yesterday and like all the others on the waiting list, I can't wait.

Doug.

Dealing with the de-rectification was a nightmare, and the entire technical staff at Foto-Kem came through with flying colors.

There was not just a single de-rec problem.  There were two.  Different setups on two different optical printers in 1963, yielding two slightly different final results -- each of which was handled in a slightly different manner, beginning with digital anti-rectification mattes.

Once discs are in hand, you'll find an interesting short featurette on how the problems were handled.

One more comment -- this is a project that was far too expensive to be handled in the analogue work, ie. going back to film.

Had Criterion not stepped up to the plate, with the full cooperation of M-G-M, this film would not have been saved.

So huge thanks go to all those who contributed image and audio to the reconstruction, along with an immense thank you to the entire crew at Criterion, the incredible staff at Foto-Kem, Chace Audio, The Academy Archive, and to M-G-M, with a huge thank you to asset protection exec Scott Grossman.

RAH

• Tino, Peter Apruzzese, Steve Tannehill and 13 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#908 of 1801 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 04:15 PM

We're just two weeks away. Can't wait to get my copy!

#909 of 1801 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 05:08 PM

Dealing with the de-rectification was a nightmare, and the entire technical staff at Foto-Kem came through with flying colors.

There was not just a single de-rec problem.  There were two.  Different setups on two different optical printers in 1963, yielding two slightly different final results -- each of which was handled in a slightly different manner, beginning with digital anti-rectification mattes.

Once discs are in hand, you'll find an interesting short featurette on how the problems were handled.

One more comment -- this is a project that was far too expensive to be handled in the analogue work, ie. going back to film.

Had Criterion not stepped up to the plate, with the full cooperation of M-G-M, this film would not have been saved.

So huge thanks go to all those who contributed image and audio to the reconstruction, along with an immense thank you to the entire crew at Criterion, the incredible staff at Foto-Kem, Chace Audio, The Academy Archive, and to M-G-M, with a huge thank you to asset protection exec Scott Grossman.

RAH

Can't wait!  Will it be possible for all parties concerned to come 'together' once again and 'save' THE ALAMO?

#910 of 1801 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 07 2014 - 05:45 PM

Makes one feel a little faint, does it not?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• ahollis likes this

#911 of 1801 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,053 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 07 2014 - 05:59 PM

FWIW, IAMMMMW is on MGMHD tonight at 10. And repeated Saturday the 18th at 12 AM.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#912 of 1801 t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 10:18 PM

Can't wait!  Will it be possible for all parties concerned to come 'together' once again and 'save' THE ALAMO?

Oh, THAT would be a dream come true if it did happen. I'm not entirely optimistic given the current MGM regime's stance towards it, but things could change....

#913 of 1801 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 03:57 AM

Was it necessary for Criterion to use still frames with audio overdubs (i.e. A Star is Born) for any missing sections that could not be presented in any other way?

Yup, though I think they blend pretty smoothly.  I suspect that anyone who watches the long cut will understand going in that it's going to be imperfect and will be able to accept the awkward moments without too much trouble.  Like I said, the only thing that makes them at all jarring stems from the beauty of the rest of the image - and that's more of an issue with the restored footage. not the stills.  The stills may not move but they look good! :lol:

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#914 of 1801 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 03:58 AM

If I recall correctly, Colin reviews discs for another site so that's how he got a review copy.

You don't have to recall - it's in my signature! :)

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#915 of 1801 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:51 AM

Oh, Joe...

There are going to be a few people getting screener copies this week.

Advance copies always go out to reviewers and people who are favored  ;)  

This is nothing new.  Perks of being involved with press.

I mean, the discs are already replicated, packaged and ready to go.  

I anticipate having a copy in my hands this very week as well.

Well, I'm jealous.  When will you be able to give us your review?  Do they make you wait until the date of release?

#916 of 1801 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:02 AM

POPULAR

Well, I'm jealous.  When will you be able to give us your review?  Do they make you wait until the date of release?

No, I can talk about it as soon as received.

Just waiting for the postman to deliver.  I am expecting this week.

• ahollis, cb1 and Conor Lynch like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#917 of 1801 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,994 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:18 PM

If Paramount owned that, they would have been more likely to try. There was a whole period in the mid-2000s where every pre-1970s catalog release was either a John Wayne movie or an Audrey Hepburn movie.

I'm not sure the Mad World restoration would have happened without Criterion's involvement.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#918 of 1801 CineCraft

CineCraft

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:20 PM

So RAH, might we expect "A Few Words About..." entry on this one, or must you recuse yourself because of your involvement in the project?  I'd love to hear a full recounting of the process of restoring this title.

• Rob_Ray likes this

#919 of 1801 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:51 PM

RAH

I wonder if there were two different optical printers for prints that Cinerama theatres would order from depending on the degree of curvature of their screens?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#920 of 1801 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 01:15 PM

POPULAR

So RAH, might we expect "A Few Words About..." entry on this one, or must you recuse yourself because of your involvement in the project? I'd love to hear a full recounting of the process of restoring this title.

Having seen it, albeit not on Blu-ray, my feeling is that, much like the Fox three-strip films, it is what it is. Every bit of footage from which we could harvest some sort of image, excluding some bits and pieces that don't belong, is in the project.

Quality of the reconstructed footage is a solid 2.25 or thereabouts.

As I believe I've noted in the past, we have made a burlap purse from a sow's ear. This one is for the fans, and as a record of what the film was.

RAH
  • Reed Grele, Stephen_J_H, Rob_Ray and 4 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users