Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#241 of 1817 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 17 2013 - 02:32 PM

Just to clarify, the 35mm "version" was the second roadshow cut that premiered four weeks after the film opened - there were NO picture differences at all - the only thing different in the 35mm general release was the omission of the overture, entr'acte and playout music, otherwise they were identical.

...which is why I said "35mm version" instead of "second Roadshow edit"
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#242 of 1817 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:03 PM

A three hour documentary on the surviving crowd extras? I like that idea. Of course there are also those online videos and photos of MAD WORLD locations yesterday and today, right down to identifying rocks!  

Anyone recall a program from maybe ten years ago---James Lipton interviewed Peter Falk, and Falk absolutely cracked up when an audience member recited to the letter his phonecall tirade from MAD WORLD ("those fat nazis!").

Anyone interview Barrie Chase lately?

:B)

Edited by BarryR, October 17 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#243 of 1817 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,534 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm a little surprised that Criterion isn't including the very rare 16mm version shot side by side with the 70mm and shown in only one country - Borneo, which could only show 16mm in the ratio of 1.42.

I'm positively gob-smacked that this release doesn't include a life-size, bikini-clad animatronic of a dancing Barrie Chase. Back to the drawing board, Criterion!

This company is a major ripoff!!  We need to launch a class action suit!  Executive heads should roll!  I won't rest till people are fired for this lazy-ass cash grab of a release!!  ;)  (Winking smiley added for benefit of ahollis.)

#244 of 1817 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:28 PM

Interesting blog post from another fan:http://stuartgalbrai.../17/mad-x-4-43/

#245 of 1817 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:31 PM

I think it got buried in a huge post, but I did have one question for RAH - can you talk a bit about how scenes with picture but missing audio were handled?

#246 of 1817 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,784 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:38 PM

Interesting blog post from another fan:http://stuartgalbrai.../17/mad-x-4-43/

Stuart was a DVD reviewer here for a very short time. I remember his reviews focused on the film mostly and made little mention of audio and video which bothered some members.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#247 of 1817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,669 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think it got buried in a huge post, but I did have one question for RAH - can you talk a bit about how scenes with picture but missing audio were handled?

Subtitles.  For those with constant height setups, within the picture area.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#248 of 1817 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:47 PM

Robert,

In general terms, how does the image quality of the extended roadshow release compare to the image quality of the new 4K transfer of the general release?  Or, am I misunderstanding and both versions will have 4K transfers?

Thanks!

Mark

#249 of 1817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,669 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:57 PM

POPULAR

Robert,

In general terms, how does the image quality of the extended roadshow release compare to the image quality of the new 4K transfer of the general release?  Or, am I misunderstanding and both versions will have 4K transfers?

Thanks!

Mark

I've not done a comparison.  My perspective from day one, was to achieve an image, and then raise the quality of that image as high as possible.  Initially, my feeling was that we would be able to create a burlap purse from a sow's ear.  That quality was eclipsed quite a while ago.

My general feeling was to make the extant film elements transparent to the reconstruction and restoration.  Freeze frames are used where necessary, and I've chosen to expose perforations in a shot or two that was too shrunken to allow doing otherwise without unnecessarily cropping the image.  I prefer to allow that as opposed to bringing in black bars to the side.  A true cinephile is fine with sprocket holes.

This is a reconstruction that allows viewers to become a part of the process.  Nothing is hidden, and no excuses are made.

Bottom line.  I'm thrilled with the final result, and Criterion has been amazing in supplying everything needed to create the best possible experience.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#250 of 1817 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:59 PM

Which is better...

Chase in this or Phoenix?

#251 of 1817 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,546 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:16 PM

This just keeps getting better and better!

#252 of 1817 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:23 PM

I've not done a comparison.  My perspective from day one, was to achieve an image, and then raise the quality of that image as high as possible.  Initially, my feeling was that we would be able to create a burlap purse from a sow's ear.  That quality was eclipsed quite a while ago.

My general feeling was to make the extant film elements transparent to the reconstruction and restoration.  Freeze frames are used where necessary, and I've chosen to expose perforations in a shot or two that was too shrunken to allow doing otherwise without unnecessarily cropping the image.  I prefer to allow that as opposed to bringing in black bars to the side.  A true cinephile is fine with sprocket holes.

This is a reconstruction that allows viewers to become a part of the process.  Nothing is hidden, and no excuses are made.

Bottom line.  I'm thrilled with the final result, and Criterion has been amazing in supplying everything needed to create the best possible experience.

RAH

Thanks, Robert!  Both for your reply and your dedication to the restoration of the roadshow release!  I can't wait to add this to my collection!

Mark

#253 of 1817 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:38 PM

And glad Joe is now happy with the news and he can finally enjoy life once and resume with his regulary-scheduled program(s) or life schedule.

Remember Joe Lugoff, good things come to those who wait it out long enough and patience is a good thing and see? We got it and it's coming AND an extended version to boot. Puts the VHS version now to shame. 1/21/2014

#254 of 1817 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm really looking forward to this release and appreciate the many hours of hard work that have gone into getting this film as close to what it was on premiere night as possible.  This is the version I will share with other dedicated fans of the film.

However, after all the dust has settled and I've satisfied my curiosity with the extended footage, what I really want going forward for sharing with more casual audiences is a corrected version of the standard, shorter roadshow release without any compromised footage, but with a corrected title sequence and all the overture, intermission and exit music retained and properly presented.  Will the standard version be the shortened roadshow with overture, etc. or will it be the "general release" version without the added music?

Edited by Rob_Ray, October 17 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#255 of 1817 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:57 PM

This looks like a great set for fans.  On my "Must buy" list for sure.  Exciting!!

#256 of 1817 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 602 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:15 PM

Not to disparage the serious side of Stanley Kramer's career, but I think it's kind of wonderful that his least serious film has come to represent so many truly profound aspects of show business, cinema, and life (not to mention home video) to so many people.

#257 of 1817 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,202 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:18 PM

In honor of the great news of this release, I had a couple of old fashion's after dinner tonight. Now channeling my inner Jim Backus. Not to worry, Buddy and Mickey are flying the plane!

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#258 of 1817 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,412 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:21 PM

...which is why I said "35mm version" instead of "second Roadshow edit"

I know YOU knew what you meant, but I always think its important to clarify what might be confusing to others :)

#259 of 1817 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:30 PM

Man, when you fall out of the loop for a while, news like this is pretty cool.

Congratulations to Mr. Harris on finally getting the chance to restore this film after...what, ten years?

I just hope I don't kick the bucket before this comes out...

I don't like SPAM!

#260 of 1817 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,054 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:34 PM

And glad Joe is now happy with the news and he can finally enjoy life once and resume with his regulary-scheduled program(s) or life schedule.

Remember Joe Lugoff, good things come to those who wait it out long enough and patience is a good thing and see? We got it and it's coming AND an extended version to boot. Puts the VHS version now to shame. 1/21/2014

Yeah, but you know what?  I was 14 when I first wanted to see the complete original roadshow version.

When I see it in January, I'll be almost 64.

So being the negative, cranky pessimist I am, I'm thinking, "This should have happened a long time ago."  I'm not in a "better late than never" mood right now.

As for "good things happen to those who wait it out long enough," you do know that eventually we all run out of time.  Let's stop a think a minute for the people who didn't live to see this, like 99% of the cast! :(

If there had been home video back then, a deluxe "director's cut" set would have come out in 1965!

OK, I'm through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users