Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector to light a 150" screen

Projector

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 of 49 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,118 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:20 PM

To Gregg. It is common knowledge that PCs calcpro is innaccurate with this projector(which is why I even said I didn't look into it further).

The largest I've personally seen with the 55 was a 130". Firing on a Screen Research ClearPix grey(0.8) it returned 12fl. Which 12 was just fine. I would assume that on a 1.0 gain an increase of another 20" would remain close.

But i've not personally run across a screen bigger than 130" where the projector chosen wasn't the 75/95.(which there shouldn't be any lumen advantage...according the "specs")

#22 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:48 PM

Gunman, as a professional installer and calibrator : THERE IS NOT A CHANCE IN HELL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET 18 fL out of this!!

I agree with Gregg. Great projector, but that screen is way too large. It's just not bright enough.What is your seating distance?

#23 of 49 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:58 PM

Got me to look up the real specs, heres what Art got: 

Brightness: 1200 lumens, measured 703 calibrated, 872 at maximum

Based on 700 lumens and 1.0 gain a 150" 16x9 would only give you 10fL!http://www.projector...-x55r/index.phpHe talks alot about brightness later on in his review also, mainly in relation to dealing with ambient lighting.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#24 of 49 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted October 18 2013 - 12:13 PM

on the AT screen...my first guess would be 7-9 fL.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#25 of 49 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 07:16 PM

Gunman, as a professional installer and calibrator : THERE IS NOT A CHANCE IN HELL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET 18 fL out of this!!

Ok... Any sugestions or thoughts, what do you think it would be?

#26 of 49 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted October 21 2013 - 07:40 AM

In my last post:

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]on the AT screen...my first guess would be 7-9 fL.[/color]

#27 of 49 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 481 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted October 21 2013 - 10:26 AM

What is your planned, primary, seating distance from the screen?

#28 of 49 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry for late reply, traveling... seating 18' and 22' from screen.  Anyone have a sugestion on what projector could do the job?  I can raid the sound system budget....

#29 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 23 2013 - 07:56 PM

After checking the "Search By Feature" at Projectorcentral, the 3 best choices appear to be the Epson 5020, 5030, and Panasonic 8000. They will all give you 17 foot lamberts with a 15' throw and 150" diagonal screen(1.0 gain).

#30 of 49 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted October 24 2013 - 02:45 AM

Sorry for late reply, traveling... seating 18' and 22' from screen.  Anyone have a sugestion on what projector could do the job?  I can raid the sound system budget....

I would seriously consider the Sony VPL-HW models, specifically the VPL-HW50ES, and maybe a higher gain screen before I stepped down to an LCD projector. The Sonys' are brighter but wont have as deep a black levels as the JVCs'. Heres what Art got for this one: 

Brightness: Manufacturer claim: 1700 lumens; measured 992 lumens calibrated, and approaching 1300 lumens at brightest (we do not measure for the absolute brightest picture, but the brightest very watchable picture)I can't think of any other quality projector not costing far more, that can match the calibrated brightness of the HW50 projector.

http://www.projector...om/sony/hw50es/
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#31 of 49 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,118 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:14 AM

I echo Type A. I've been aware most of the year on PC's calc being off on JVC, but most of the time 130" is the ultimate goal.

However, my go-to AT screen is the Screen Research Clearpix. It has none of the "light suck" issues nor does it have any audio attenuation like every other AT screen on the market, but.

They aren't cheap.

#32 of 49 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 01:52 PM

However, my go-to AT screen is the Screen Research Clearpix.

I been to their web and seems only through dealers?  my closest is 200 miles away, do you know of an online reseller?

1.2 gain? Higher?

After reading into all above it seems that 150" is just to big maybe I should go down to 139" and VPL-HW50ES. 

#33 of 49 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,118 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 02:33 PM

Screen Research is person to person sales only. None online.

200 miles isn't that far to do your screen. 

Since you haven't said where you are, have no idea who you can use(and I wouldn't know unless you were within 150 miles of Chicago)

#34 of 49 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 06:42 PM

I wasn't able to start on my theatre until a few weeks ago and I'm now ready to buy the projector. I now have up to $9k to spend. With the increased $$$ is there a better suggested projector to light a 159" screen? How about the JVC DLA 90? I like what I have read about the blacks on the JVC so that's why I keep coming back to it... willing to go down in size if picture quality would be noticeably improved so...What's suggestions for screen gain, size, and projector combinations do you have?

#35 of 49 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,609 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 11:15 AM

I would strongly urge you to get samples of AT screen material before you commit to it.  I have paid for larger samples of several types to check it out, punched holes, weave, and "4K" weave and they all have visible texture from typical HT seating distances of 10-15 feet.  I'm sure some can get used to it especially if that is all you know but a smooth screen looks so much better to me and I find the AT texture to be too distracting.  IMO AT screens compromise the image quality more than a solid screen compromises sound quality because of speaker placement, especially given screen material will also alter the sound, just some less than others.

#36 of 49 OFFLINE   Barry Tonner

Barry Tonner

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 11:55 AM

' Because the longer the throw, the dimmer it will be.' 

I know this is an old post, but a a note of clarafication is in order, because it keeps popping up here every once in a while.  I don't know why it seems to be hard for some people to understand.

The throw distance, has no bearing on the brightness of the image, it is the size of the image, that changes the brightness.  To put it another way,  as a projector moves further way, the image gets bigger, and therefore dimmer.  There are two separate issues....size of image, and distance to the projector....but only one of the issues affects the brightness.....the size!  If the image is kept the same size, no mater the distance of the projector, the image would be the same brightness.

#37 of 49 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,079 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 23 2014 - 12:04 PM

Buy this one.

http://www.amazon.co...s=jvc projector

Go 130 inch instead of 150 and get a 1.3 gain screen.

If you like 3D then buy a cheap Benq W1070 and the JVC, bear in mind they are not real 4K projectors.

Ok too funny, this is an ancient old post, i guess i should have read the second page before responding.  :D

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#38 of 49 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted September 24 2014 - 02:56 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);] If the image is kept the same size, no mater the distance of the projector, the image would be the same brightness.[/color]

Hi Barry, this is NOT correct. Almost all of these budget projectors have LOW quality lenses. the larger amount of zoom, the less amount of light is allowed through the lense (regardless of screen size). ....just like in camera zoom lenses.

#39 of 49 OFFLINE   Barry Tonner

Barry Tonner

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted September 25 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi Barry, this is NOT correct. Almost all of these budget projectors have LOW quality lenses. the larger amount of zoom, the less amount of light is allowed through the lense (regardless of screen size). ....just like in camera zoom lenses.

Sorry Gregg....my statement is absolutely correct.  This has nothing to do with the lens, and everything to do with physics.  Light does not diminish over distance, only by divergence.  That is not to say that different lenses may not affect light in different ways.  If the same lense is used, the same rules of physics still apply.  In the posting that I'm refering to,...the correct statement should have been 'as the picture gets larger, it will get dimmer......not....'as the projector gets futher away the picture will get dimmer'.

#40 of 49 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted September 25 2014 - 04:14 PM

Well, one of us is correct and the other one isn't.

Your comment:  [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]The throw distance, has no bearing on the brightness of the image[/color]

Is not correct. 

While the TD itself will not cause a direct difference in light output, how the internal optics of the lense deal with the throw distance (to maintain the same screen size) will cause a difference in light output. 

I guess if you are wanting to have a purely semantical argument on throw distance, then you would be correct, but not correct if you want to factor in how the lense deals with the increased mechanical zooming of the optics. 

Perhaps I was mis reading what you were trying say? Not sure, Im currently on pain killers :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users