Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Unreleased Christmas specials?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 20 2013 - 07:37 AM

Oh, and The Night They Saved Christmas with Jaclyn Smith and Art Carney.

That one!  I really have a hard time understanding why it's not on disc. 

I'm not sure, but is A Very Brady Christmas available on disc?  That should have been a shoe-in to get on the market.

• moviebuff75 likes this

#22 of 36 OFFLINE   Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 03:23 PM

Another vote here for The Man in the Santa Claus Suit with Fred Astaire.
A really quite charming film. Every year I live in hope that it may come out.
In the UK it was shown a number of times on the BBC but unseen since Christmas 1985, which is when luckily I recorded it. However, I would purchase a DVD if it emerged.
That Julie Andrews special looks good too - not seen that.

#23 of 36 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 05:59 AM

WPIX Yule Log, though I understand why it can't be (music rights would be out of this world).  And yes, I mean the *WPIX* one, the one that's been seen since 1970 and improved since its comeback. 

Has the Alvin Show version of the Chipmunk Song been included on any Chipmunks release?  (of course I'd want a proper release of that series in general...a fake first episode doesn't cut it) 

regarding the Denver/Muppets specials...I don't own any, is it true that what was cut was anything involving planes because it was "too soon"?  I also wonder if that's why we only hear PP&M's "Leaving on a Jet Plane" on the radio, or did they just have the bigger hit with it? 

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#24 of 36 OFFLINE   Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and The Night They Saved Christmas with Jaclyn Smith and Art Carney. 

There is a region 2 release, Amazon UK has it pretty cheap. Amazon lists this one as well, don't know if it is legit though

http://www.amazon.co...82400663&sr=1-2

• moviebuff75 likes this

#25 of 36 OFFLINE   Srr1984

Srr1984

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ron1973 if you get this I really need a copy of that movie please! I can't find it anywhere and only people lucky enough to catch it on tv and record it have it! My email is saria527@yahoo.com please contact me

#26 of 36 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 01 2014 - 05:37 PM

Any news news on the unreleased Christmas tv and movie front? I was really hoping that the Great Santa Switch (with Art Carney) and the Richard Williams A Christmas Carol would make it out this year. But it didn't happen.

Any luck for the rest of you?

JThree

#27 of 36 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 01 2014 - 05:39 PM

P.S. Have "all" the Rankin Bass Christmas seasonal specials made it out on digital? I don't recall seeing "Noel" and a few other lost specials out yet?

JThree?

#28 of 36 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,814 posts

Posted December 01 2014 - 06:08 PM

P.S. Have "all" the Rankin Bass Christmas seasonal specials made it out on digital? 

The complete Warner DVD boxset from a couple years ago claimed to have The Little Drummer Boy Book II, but it turned up missing, and reappeared later in the Archive, with the other obscure R-B's.

With Classic Media owning the Big Five, the only Warner-owned R-B still sold commercially is The One Everyone Claims to "Remember", But Only Knows the Same One Darn Song From.

#29 of 36 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted December 01 2014 - 06:54 PM

All of the R/B specials are out. "Noel" is not a R/B special. Not by that title anyway. All 18 are out.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#30 of 36 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted December 01 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'd love to see the Jackie Gleason Christmas Special in color where he played The Poor Soul from around 1965-66 again. I remember it from rebroadcasts a few years later.

#31 of 36 OFFLINE   hypnohighball

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground, Washington

Posted December 02 2014 - 06:17 PM

A proper, authorized color version of the Geraldine Page version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory, from 1967--my mom keeps talking about that one, so I'd like to be able to get it for her.  And of course the scary Richard Williams Christmas Carol, for me, since I found it pleasingly terrifying as a kid!

I used to see this on PBS back in the day - loved it, wish I had a copy.

#32 of 36 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,013 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 06:42 PM

Slightly off topic, but there has been a flood of vintage Christmas albums on amazon this year (some as CD-R).  I think with so many radio stations playing 30 to 55 days of Christmas music, it has really stimulated a lot of catalog Christmas music releases.  Hopefully, this will spill over to DVD with more Christmas specials coming to that format.

• Ron1973 likes this

#33 of 36 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 07:04 PM

Continuing with the slightly off topic, does anyone know if there are forums where unreleased (on CD) Christmas music is discussed?

Jthree

#34 of 36 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 07:06 PM

Sorry. My mistake on Noel being rankin bass. Has anybody heard anything on Santa Baby?

Jthree

#35 of 36 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 313 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted December 05 2014 - 10:12 AM

I would love to have a DVD of the Christmas episode of "The Julie Andrews Hour" from 1973 that was repeated several times over the years as a special. The guest star was Jimmy Stewart; Julie shows him a traditional British Christmas, and he shows her a typical American Christmas. A charming show with lots of good music and a long list of cameos by various entertainers.

JAH960.jpg

• LeoA and Ron1973 like this

#36 of 36 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,085 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted December 05 2014 - 11:18 AM

While this was originally released in theaters, I imagine most think of it as a tv special these days. I'd like to see a remastered and uncut official release for Santa and the Three Bears. 

Santa_and_the_Three_Bears_FilmPoster.jpe

Not to mention many of the other suggestions that have already been made. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users