What's new

Unreleased Christmas specials? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, Every year, I've been asking various groups and forums, what beloved Christmas special, film, or tv show that has not come out on DVD, would you like to see come out?As for myself, I would love to see the Richard Williams A Christmas Carol make it our, (a legal, sanctioned release)The Great Santa Switch, with Art Carney.Noel, narrated by Charlton Heston.What else?I'd like to see one forgotten seasonal special make it out each year.james

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Anything released from the 50's or 60's would probably result in a purchase from me. I'm more of a Christmas-themed TV shows fan, but TV Specials are certainly nice and appealing as well. So you name it, and I'd be for it.

Gary "I plan on starting my Christmas viewing early in November this year" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The 1974 (I think) remake of Miracle on 34th Street. I caught it a few years ago on TCM and burned it to DVD but an official copy would be lovely.
The 90's remake paled in comparison to the original version but it's out on DVD.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Pretty much any of the remaining Bing Crosby Christmas specials (and the non-holiday specials as well, for that matter).
And I think there is still one more Christmas special for the Honeymooners, as well.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Let's see.

The Night The Animals Talked would be great.

The House Without A Christmas Tree would be nice.

Both the 1969 and the 1971 animated A Christmas Carol would be a hands down no questions asked purchase for me.

For pure giggles, The Star Wars Holiday Special.

And lastly, It Happened One Christmas, the Marlo Thomas remake of It's A Wonderful Life. It really wasn't so wonderful, but I kind of liked it.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
A proper, authorized color version of the Geraldine Page version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory, from 1967--my mom keeps talking about that one, so I'd like to be able to get it for her. And of course the scary Richard Williams Christmas Carol, for me, since I found it pleasingly terrifying as a kid!

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I'd like to see Christmas Eve, the 1986 TV-movie with Loretta Young. I look for it every year, but it never gets shown.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Skinflint: A Country Christmas Carol - a 1979 movie staring many country movie stars (Hoyt Axton, Tom T. Hall, Lynn Anderson, Larry Gatlin, etc.)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The House Without A Christmas Tree IS AVAILABLE! Great transfer too.
I would like to see a better version of the 1974 "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus." The dvd I have looks like a pd copy.
A couple of John Denver/Muppets specials uncut are not available
The Little Rascals Christmas Special
Family Circus Christmas

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Oh, and The Night They Saved Christmas with Jaclyn Smith and Art Carney. I also love the 1988 telefilm "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Hal Holbrook, Eva Marie Saint, Courtney Cox, and Nancy Travis. It's heartbreaking but real and you feel like you are part of the family during WWII.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
A stated already Miracle on 34th Street (1973) I only have a copy of edited syndicated version. I don't know why Fox Movie Channel hasn't aired it for years. And the Richard Williams A Christmas Carol. The other animated Christmas Carol from 70's was released on dvd, although poor quality. John Denver & the Muppets A Christmas Together would be nice as well.

Not a fan of country music but really liked Blake Shelton's special from last year. The second & third time it aired it was edited. The hilarious sketch where he & Larry the Cable Guy go hunting and kill the animated Rudolph & his friends was cut because of shooting...

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Every year I hope for THE SOUND OF CHRISTMAS with Julie Andrews, Placido Domingo and John Denver. I know it was taped to be shown on the BBC, so even though it was 1987, there might be a master out there in some kind of higher def than standard. It's a beautiful show.

Attachments

• SOCJAPlacido.jpg
    SOCJAPlacido.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 80
  • SOC Sheet dsktp.jpg
    SOC Sheet dsktp.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 68

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Muppet Family Christmas (1987) may have been briefly available on DVD, but has been out of print for a very long time. I guess that's par for the course for the Muppets on DVD.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Sam Favate said:
The Muppet Family Christmas (1987) may have been briefly available on DVD, but has been out of print for a very long time. I guess that's par for the course for the Muppets on DVD.
And moreso with this one, cause now you have to deal with not only music rights (which ruined the previous releases) but also with Sesame Workshop for the rights to the Sesame Street characters.
And lastly, It Happened One Christmas, the Marlo Thomas remake of It's A Wonderful Life. It really wasn't so wonderful, but I kind of liked it.
"Shame on you, Marlo Thomas!" - Tom Servo

I'd hope that Disney would be more lax as far as the Star Wars Holiday Special goes than George Lucas is (and more importantly the Original OT). Just for the kitsch of it all.

Something that has had no official DVD release: The Christmas Raccoons. The first ever glimpse of the denizens of the Evergreen Forest, who'd be around in some form until 1991.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
the sixties Hanna-Barbara versions of Silent Night and The Night Before Christmas, the latter with the voice of Olan Seoule. There's a quaintness to them, but I have to confess my Mother, who normally loves anything Christmasy, didn't care for them. That is saying something.James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Ron1973 said:
The 1974 (I think) remake of Miracle on 34th Street. I caught it a few years ago on TCM and burned it to DVD but an official copy would be lovely.
The 90's remake paled in comparison to the original version but it's out on DVD.
I saw the 1974 Version before I saw the original, and I thought it was purdy good, until I saw the original, which beat the stuffing out of the remake, :laugh: (naturally) :rolling-smiley: still I'd like to see this movie available on DVD. :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks