What's new

Newbie having problems (1 Viewer)

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
I just bought a Yamaha Receiver (RX-V375), that has both RCA, HDMI and Cable Coax Connectors. My DVD player is a Sony model , that only has the digital coax connectors or HDMI output. My tv doesn't have HDMI but does have RCA connectors. So far I've been able to get sound from the DVD but no video on the HDMI. Nothing on the Coax. I have the cable box plugged into the receiver, and I get picture and sound on that. What am I missing here?

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Thanks, I didn't know that they made those. Like I said, I'm new to this and was getting frustrated. I'll get one in the am and let you all know how it turns out!

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Got the cable today, patched the dvd player straight to the tv, and of course no sound, but I did have video. Hooked it into the receiver, and now I have sound, but no video. So I know that the dvd player and tv work, now I need help trying to track down the problem within the receiver. I went through the setup menus, but have come up with nothing so far. Any ideas/hints?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You probably screwed up HDCP.

Turn it all off, unplug it all from the wall, unhook the hdmi.

Wait half an hour.

Connect the HDMI
Plug it all into the wall
Turn on the AVR(must, must...must be first)
Turn on the TV
Turn on the DVD player.

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
What is HDCP? I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I've gotten really frustrated with this thing because I know it's going to be something simple and that I should have caught it. Thanks for your patience and help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of...

"I have audio but no video from my DVD/BD to AVR to TV..."

Is you screwed up the HDCP handshake.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Handshake(when it comes to HDMI HDCP)...

You have the AVR saying..."Hi, I'm a Yamaha RX-V375, and you would be what?"

"Hi, I'm X DVD player."

When you fire up the TV...

"Hi, I'm a Y TV and you are?"

"Hi, I'm a Yamaha RX-V375, on the other end is X DVD player. X DVD player, meet Y TV."

If you screw up the HDCP(like you did connecting the DVD to the TV, then the DVD to the AVR)...

"Hi i'm X DVD and you are Y dvd...Hi how are ya."

You "yank the cable" and put it in the Yamaha(cause I presume you did this plugged in and on)...

DVD player goes...

"Uh, Hi, I'm DVD player X. You aren't Y TV...what are you?"

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One last thing...

You did pick up two HDMI cables as well?

Your only connections should be...(which you haven't mentioned what your cable box is)

STB -> AVR via HDMI
DVD -> AVR via HDMI
AVR -> TV via HDMI/DVI cable.

How did you have the STB connected before with the AVR/TV that you had pic and sound?

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Well I tried disconnecting everything, including the power, and letting it set for 30 minutes. Hooked everything back up and powered it up in the sequence you mentioned, and nothing changed. Same issue. The cable isn't hdmi, it's old rca hookup and works just fine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And your connections are what?

If you don't have a HD cable box, there is almost no reason to use the video switching in the 375.

Connect your DVD player directly to the TV for video and to the 375 for audio.

You've done that for the STB already.

Not sure what the setup problem is, cause you haven't said what you've done.

Did you buy a HDMI cable as well? Or not? Did you already have one?

You do realize you have to go into setup on the 375 and assign inputs...??? (which you couldn't do before you bought the HDMI-DVI cable as the GUI on the 375 only leaves via HDMI)

redlabelrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Actually I have said exactly what I've done, and how I've connected it. I hooked it straight to the tv with the HDMI/DVI cable and I got video, but no sound. Powered everything down, hooked DVD via HDMI to AVR. AVR to tv via HMDI/DVI. No video so I can't tell you if there is a GUI on the screen or not. I know that It has sound because I stuck a disc in to check it. Right now the DVD and TV are the ONLY things hooked up. I took everything else off to narrow down the problem.
I CANNOT connect the dvd player to the tv and the avr at the same time, it only has HDMI or Digital Coax outputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
redlabelrocks said:
Actually I have said exactly what I've done, and how I've connected it. I hooked it straight to the tv with the HDMI/DVI cable and I got video, but no sound.
DVI doesn't carry audio. Never has.

Powered everything down, hooked DVD via HDMI to AVR. AVR to tv via HMDI/DVI. No video so I can't tell you if there is a GUI on the screen or not.
Probably cause you haven't done any setup. Setup for this basic of an AVR should take 5 minutes.

I know that It has sound because I stuck a disc in to check it. Right now the DVD and TV are the ONLY things hooked up. I took everything else off to narrow down the problem.
That connection won't supply audio, ever.

I CANNOT connect the dvd player to the tv and the avr at the same time, it only has HDMI or Digital Coax outputs.
So, you can't use Coax to the Coax on the AVR? It has two of them. Pick one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only snag here(and model numbers of the DVD player would help) is if your DVD player kills all the other connections when you use HDMI. Which if it does...

Time to read your owners manuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks