Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming to 3-D Blu-ray January 21, 2014 from Twilight Time.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 of 85 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 05 2014 - 07:43 PM

Let's hope that good sales for "Man in the Dark" lights the way for more 3D Blu-rays from Twilight Time.

"Miss Sadie Thompson", "Sangaree", "Those Redheads from Seattle" and "Inferno" would be priorities on my list.

inferno2.jpg         inferno3.jpg

Doug.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#22 of 85 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 06 2014 - 02:46 AM

The photography on Frankenstein is terrible and would require extensive correction work before any Blu-ray release.

If they were to put it out "as is" there would be an incredible amount of complaints with crosstalk/ghosting.

The photography can't possibly be as bad as the acting.

When I saw "Flesh for Frankenstein" in the early 80s, the 3D was the only worthwhile thing about it. According to the presenter, the movie was financed by the Mafia and Paul Morrisey took over shooting after Robert Bernier was fired for working too slowly.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#23 of 85 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted January 06 2014 - 11:23 AM

Among the many 3-D photographic errors in the film is the extreme parallax on the close-up shots which result in severe eye-strain.

When I told Mr. Morrisey that we could fix those errors in the new master, he said "That's the way I shot it. I don't want any changes."

So be it.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#24 of 85 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 06 2014 - 02:16 PM

Among the many 3-D photographic errors in the film is the extreme parallax on the close-up shots which result in severe eye-strain.

When I told Mr. Morrisey that we could fix those errors in the new master, he said "That's the way I shot it. I don't want any changes."

So be it.

I wasn't aware of any problems at the cinema but the Channel 4 screening using ColorCode was appalling: dark, not much depth and diverging images of anything coming even a liitle way out of the screen. ColorCode is an abomination.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#25 of 85 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 07 2014 - 06:47 AM

I have the 3-D VHD version on a field-sequential DVD. I'll have to check on an old TV how bad the 3d is.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#26 of 85 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted January 07 2014 - 05:41 PM

I think watching a field sequential DVD and seeing the same movie in the theaters can, in fact, yield two different experiences. I have Jaws 3D on VHD and have no problems watching it. But at Expo III, the shot of the crab made me feel like my eyeballs were being ripped out of my head. Similarly, I have a field sequential VHS of Run For Cover--a movie so bad it's kinda aptly titled. In Field Sequential, it's just fine. On the big screen, it's problems are front and center as too many of the gimmick shots are way too close to the camera.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#27 of 85 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 08 2014 - 02:31 PM

All the more reason Mr. Furmanek should be involved to assist with alignment rectification. Smaller screens don't cause 3D headaches the same way cinema screens do.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#28 of 85 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 08 2014 - 02:33 PM

So be it.

Mr. Morrisey is not exactly David Lean; not surprised in the least by his response.

• Bob Furmanek likes this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#29 of 85 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:40 PM

Gonna blind buy this one since the opportunity to see it 3D otherwise is basically nil. I rarely blind buy so here's hoping I enjoy it! If I don't at least I should be able to easily sell it for a minimal loss of maybe $5.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#30 of 85 OFFLINE   pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 02:16 PM

Mine has shipped.  Hooray!  :)

#31 of 85 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 02:57 PM

Mine has shipped!

Looking forward....

#32 of 85 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 14 2014 - 04:36 PM

Mine has shipped as well, but strange, I was sent 2 identical e-mails, I hope they haven't doubled up.

Anybody else receive 2 identical shipping e-mails?

#33 of 85 OFFLINE   pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 05:00 PM

Mine has shipped as well, but strange, I was sent 2 identical e-mails, I hope they haven't doubled up.

Anybody else receive 2 identical shipping e-mails?

I did too, same info in each.

#34 of 85 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 05:40 PM

Any news on this getting a release overseas?

#35 of 85 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted January 16 2014 - 11:25 AM

Just received my copy cannot wait to watch this weekend. Bring on more golden age 3d! I'll buy it all!
  • pinknik likes this

#36 of 85 OFFLINE   pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 11:43 AM

Same here and agreed.

#37 of 85 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 01:50 PM

And me boss! bgart13..only available from the US through Screen Archives or TCM...believe it's all regions...

#38 of 85 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 02:05 PM

Oh, I'm aware, I'm just hoping there's a UK release coming instead.

#39 of 85 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 02:51 PM

I got 2 emails too, but only 1 copy arrived today!

Will be watching this weekend, really hoping for a great 3D transfer.

#40 of 85 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 05:23 PM

Strange, mine hasn't shipped yet, but Khartoum did.  Wonder what the hold up is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users