a) The website/product was super-sketchy

b) the TC crossed the line in a recent post

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I along with another member were...um slurred and racially slurred...

The slur towards me I couldn't care less...and if the slurrer(???) knew about me...I'd almost take it is a compliment(some of my favorite movies are Snuff, 9 songs and MS 45, so the slur fit...LOL).

The other one, the slurree(???) has every right to be pissed.

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
It's funny, I watched the film again recently for a documentary course, and came across that site a few days ago. I could be completely wrong, but the site looked a bit like Hitler glamor, what with the pictures everywhere, the cover art, and the sale of posters and whatnot.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Not to propagate any of it, I was interested strictly from the historical aspect, and the fact that Robert Harris is also involved in another restoration, that will be released by Synapse Film.

Propaganda, aside, which is a hard thing to do given the subject matter, it also has some of the greatest set up visuals of all time, and the craft of Riefenstahl is on display, only to be eclipsed by the outstanding work on Olympia.

Did a little research on the company; apparently, they formerly provided high end videocassettes to learning centers for discussion. At least that was one of the remarks on a different forum.

I make no judgments, the mods did the right thing, the slurs are offence to both sides, and to those of us that are reading it as well.

I do hope that this is the startup of another new independent distributer on the scene, and that quality work comes from it, because of the titles that were mentioned in the previous thread.

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
It is indeed a fantastic piece of filmmaking, and I apologize to all concerned if the company is legit (and I am very excited too if they've got quality releases on the way!) When I had searched "Triumph of the Will Blu-ray" originally what came up was a Stormfront post linking to the distributor's site, so I did have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when I went there, heh!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
dana martin said:
Not to propagate any of it, I was interested strictly from the historical aspect, and the fact that Robert Harris is also involved in another restoration, that will be released by Synapse Film.

Propaganda, aside, which is a hard thing to do given the subject matter, it also has some of the greatest set up visuals of all time, and the craft of Riefenstahl is on display, only to be eclipsed by the outstanding work on Olympia.

Did a little research on the company; apparently, they formerly provided high end videocassettes to learning centers for discussion. At least that was one of the remarks on a different forum.

I make no judgments, the mods did the right thing, the slurs are offence to both sides, and to those of us that are reading it as well.

I do hope that this is the startup of another new independent distributer on the scene, and that quality work comes from it, because of the titles that were mentioned in the previous thread.
I knew Ms Reifenstahl, and while I didn't share her early political views, totally respected her and her work as a filmmaker. That continues.

Shot by shot, Triumph is a triumph of the filmmaking art. Pity it took the wrong side. As an a(side), a notable presidential and gubernatorial candidate lifted virtually the entire opening for a campaign commercial. Brilliant, and as our friends across the pond might say, "cheeky."

RAH

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Paul Thrussell said:
When I had searched "Triumph of the Will Blu-ray" originally what came up was a Stormfront post linking to the distributor's site, so I did have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when I went there, heh!
I wonder if they were aware that the company stated on this very forum that part of the proceeds from this Limited Edition were to go to the American Holocaust Museum.

on a side note, Robert has Synapse mentioned a possibility of Olympia?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I hope the thread comes back, I was really hoping to get a better explanation of their "spend $275,000 to earn $100,000" business model. That the response was racial slurs continues to point this release into the realm of the other unmentionable word on the board: "Bootleg". :(

Thankfully Mr. Harris is involved in a release, I'm yet to be steered wrong by his work or reviews. I plan to blind buy this one, but after watching all of Shoah, it's going to be a tough watch.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've been Netflixing the alpine films lately, and several of them seem like good candidates for blu-ray release. Incredible images.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, Interfilmart which claims to be taking pre-release orders, isn't selling it and there's no listing at Amazon.com. Very odd.
I find this a brilliant piece of film-making despite how much I loathe the despicable philosophy at its core.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll tell you what I was called. And like I said, if the person knew me, they'd know I've been called worse in a joking manner. It was a classless thing to do based on not knowing me. That a .com trying to make your $100, their $100, it was just an insane move.

As an aside, because of what I was called, I just watched Starlet and Young and Wild. Y&W is a must watch for anyone out there living with the issues presented(mentioning those issues might go against the political/religious non-discussion here at the forum. So you can just Google the movie for yourself).

Both movies are brilliant film-making. (I'm a fan of low-budget film-making. Starlet has an amusing goof. It is done twice...and it proves that the movie must have been made on a shoestring budget...and everybody was wearing loafers...it is a must watch for any fan of low-budget fare)

The other person probably won't say what their slur was as I'm even disgusted by it(especially in the context of what was said and "why"). Notwithstanding it was a classless thing to do...but riled my mood to the point I wanted to prove that I was a...

Degenerate Human.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
A member of the criterion forum emailed Mosfilm and asked about InterFilmArt, and they sent him the following email:
Thank you so much for alerting us to the situation!Mosfilm holds the exclusive right to the filmsWAR AND PEACE, director Sergey Bondarchuk, 1966, STRIKE, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1924, restored 1969BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1925, restored 1976OCTOBER, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1927, restored 1967ALEXANDER NEVSKY, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1938, restored 1986IVAN THE TERRIBLE, Part 1, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1944, restored 1987IVAN THE TERRIBLE, Part 2, director Sergey Eisenstein, 1945, restored 1986Mosfilm has not given InterFilmArt Entertainment any right to exploit these films (or any other Mosfilm titles). Today we have warned the company against unlawful exploitation of the films.We do appreciate your sending us the information!Best regards,Elena OrelInternational Relations and Distribution Dept.Mosfilm Cinema Concern

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
dana martin said:
I wonder if they were aware that the company stated on this very forum that part of the proceeds from this Limited Edition were to go to the American Holocaust Museum. on a side note, Robert has Synapse mentioned a possibility of Olympia?
I prefer to deal in facts.Triumph, as in a base film element, would be in the public domain. The trick is finding a quality archival element, and then making it far more than just presentable. We've been working from a duplicate 35mm fine grain master, and for almost the past year, have been digitally cleaning the scanned data files.Since my time has been spent elsewhere, on a project that may shortly become apparent, I invited Greg Kimble, who I felt did superb work in bringing the Cinerama films back to life, to attend to the digital cleanup. His work will speak for itself. I review shots, frame by frame, daily, and am thrilled with the results. I was considering posting a sample before and after shot, but would be starting with about 8 gigs, which makes thing awkward.Olympia is a different animal, and I believe the rights are owned by Ms Reifenstahl's estate. At one time I believe Janus had a license, but I don't know if it's still in force. A brilliant film, which should be available on Blu-ray. I'll look into its current status.In many ways I'm sorry that another entity may not be releasing, as I would have liked to see what would have been done with their elements. In the world of film preservation, there can never be too many attempts to create a quality product, and as I posited in the other thread, I didn't see their release as competition.RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
schan1269 said:
I'll tell you what I was called. And like I said, if the person knew me, they'd know I've been called worse in a joking manner. It was a classless thing to do based on not knowing me. That a .com trying to make your $100, their $100, it was just an insane move.As an aside, because of what I was called, I just watched Starlet and Young and Wild. Y&W is a must watch for anyone out there living with the issues presented(mentioning those issues might go against the political/religious non-discussion here at the forum. So you can just Google the movie for yourself).Both movies are brilliant film-making. (I'm a fan of low-budget film-making. Starlet has an amusing goof. It is done twice...and it proves that the movie must have been made on a shoestring budget...and everybody was wearing loafers...it is a must watch for any fan of low-budget fare)The other person probably won't say what their slur was as I'm even disgusted by it(especially in the context of what was said and "why"). Notwithstanding it was a classless thing to do...but riled my mood to the point I wanted to prove that I was a...Degenerate Human.
I actually had the pleasure of dining with Ted, aka Moe, a few weeks ago in LA. Delightful and intelligent young man, who I presume will find a certain very dark humor in the fact that he was attacked by someone who did not know him, and who had made presumptions based upon his screen name, and that alone.Never assume.Especially with someone of Ted's size. I'd really not wish to be the one to ever make him cranky.I should also like to thank HTF staff for stepping in quickly, and surgically making the necessary cuts, before locking the thread.It is the owners and administrators of HTF, who continuously, not only make it a safe haven, but an extraordinary place for lovers of cinema to visit, share opinions, and learn. My hat is off to them.RAH

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
When CABARET was released on Blu-ray it was suggested that this film would make a great double feature with it. You suggested I wait until the new version comes out to order a copy which I have. I look forward to your transfer with complete confidence that you and others that worked on it will give us a product that will be unmatched. Looking forward to its announcement. Knowing that it is not for publication but I hope that the project that took some of your attention away from this film is IAMMMW or THE ALAMO :) Just a selfish wish.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ahollis said:
When CABARET was released on Blu-ray it was suggested that this film would make a great double feature with it. You suggested I wait until the new version comes out to order a copy which I have. I look forward to your transfer with complete confidence that you and others that worked on it will give us a product that will be unmatched. Looking forward to its announcement. Knowing that it is not for publication but I hope that the project that took some of your attention away from this film is IAMMMW or THE ALAMO :) Just a selfish wish.
Wish I could tell you what it was, but am unable to comment at this time.RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks