Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Twilight Time Announces January/February 2014 Releases

Twilight Time BD/DVD Press Release

Best Answer haineshisway , December 20 2013 - 01:03 AM

Actually Exodus was running on MGM HD and it was just stunning, obviously a complete remaster. I think it had the overture, ect. Can't wait for a blu-ray.

Exodus never had an overture.  I saw it the first week it played, at the Wilshire Theater here in LA in 70mm - I thought it was a fantastic movie.  The new HD transfer is yards better than the old DVD, which would not be hard, but it's off 35mm elements and therefore as good as it looks, it would look 1000 times better off the large format elements and in its proper ratio and with sound off the six-track element.

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#81 of 249 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 12 2013 - 11:41 AM

Not too thrilled MGM/Fox seem to be ending their Woody Allen Collection line in favor of the Twilight Time deal. I guess it's great Crimes and Misdemeanors is coming out on Blu-ray, but the $9.99 I paid for each of the MGM/Fox Allen releases were much easier to go for than $34.99 for a single title. 

Also interested in The Front and Titus, but I likely won't be able to afford all three. 

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#82 of 249 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 11:59 AM

The inclusion of two Woody Allen movies is a little disappointing, not in regards to TT but rather that MGM apparently had no larger plans for their large Woody Allen library.  However, in light of just how apathetic MGM has been to releasing anything remotely deep-catalog in 2013 it's not too surprising.

#83 of 249 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 12 2013 - 12:04 PM

The Front isn't really a Woody film, he just starred in it.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#84 of 249 OFFLINE   John Doe

John Doe

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 12:23 PM

Not to mention that The Front is coming through the deal with Sony, not MGM.

#85 of 249 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 12 2013 - 01:01 PM

Nick Redman has weighed in on Zulu in its own thread. It can be found here.

#86 of 249 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not to mention that The Front is coming through the deal with Sony, not MGM.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.  Hopefully we're getting more Woody Allen from MGM this upcoming January.

#87 of 249 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 01:21 AM

Front-1976-Columbia-half.jpg

THE FRONT (1976) is director Martin Ritt's and screenwriter Walter Bernstein's autobiographical film about the House of Un-American Activities Committee's hunt for communists in the booming New York television industry during the 1950s. I haven't seen the film since it was new, but I was very impressed with it. It was a big hit in New York at a time when the blacklist was still a living memory for many New Yorkers. It's not a comedy, but a serious drama with an occasional sense of humor. Woody Allen is very, very good as a clerk who "fronts" for blacklisted TV writers. At first he doesn't take them seriously, but when he sees the injustice and suffering of his friends he begins to take sides. When Allen himself becomes the subject of investigation, he has a great exit line. Many blacklisted actors appear in the film, including Zero Mostel who actually lived the story being told here. After starring in THE FRONT for Ritt and Bernstein, Woody Allen decided to make more serious comedies. It's a fact that Allen's career started in NY television in the late 1950s writing comedy for programs that couldn't hire blacklisted writers. So he was the perfect actor for the part.

Martin Ritt's social conscience resulted in some great and compelling films, but they haven't found their way onto blu-ray. I'm glad Twilight Time is bringing this and CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS out. I believe Sony / Columbia and MGM have lost interest in this type of film as well as in their Woody Allen catalog.

Front-1976-Columbia-one.jpg

Edited by Richard--W, October 13 2013 - 01:38 AM.

• Robin9 and bujaki like this

#88 of 249 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,261 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:45 AM

With the release of Von Ryan's Express earlier in '13 it looked like Fox wanted to run with their 'War Classics' themselves under the home label.

How I wish Fox would give TT an much-improved transfer of VON RYAN! But probably not in my lifetime/

#89 of 249 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,261 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:54 AM

POPULAR

Well with the announcements of KHARTOUM, ZULU and THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT, and line Woody Allen films we can now start mor speculation. How about EXODUS THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL LORD JIM THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY THE VIKINGS THE PARTY DOCTOR DOLITTLE STAR! THE LONG SHIPS

and... THE LION IN WINTER!

• JohnMor, Matt Hough and lark144 like this

#90 of 249 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,261 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 07:00 AM

Not too thrilled MGM/Fox seem to be ending their Woody Allen Collection line in favor of the Twilight Time deal.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to assume that. This may be Fox's way of increasing the number of Woody's without having to do it all themselves. We should also be putting pressure on Lionsgate for the Mirimax Allen titles.

#91 of 249 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm assuming that Exodus will be coming relatively soon from Twilight Time, even though the elements are in bad shape from what I've heard. I was going to import the Australian release, but I might just wait so I can hear Ernest Gold's Oscar-winning score isolated.

#92 of 249 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 13 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm assuming that Exodus will be coming relatively soon from Twilight Time, even though the elements are in bad shape from what I've heard. I was going to import the Australian release, but I might just wait so I can hear Ernest Gold's Oscar-winning score isolated.

The Australian BD is pretty nice actually.

#93 of 249 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:08 AM

How I wish Fox would give TT an much-improved transfer of VON RYAN! But probably not in my lifetime/

I think you're in luck. I've read somewhere on the net that Von Ryan will be from a new transfer that Fox are still working on.

#94 of 249 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think you're in luck. I've read somewhere on the net that Von Ryan will be from a new transfer that Fox are still working on.

Vov Ryan's Express was released earlier this year on BD. I don't know if Fox will have another "do-over" release like it did with Patton which is a more popular title.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#95 of 249 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:30 AM

Vov Ryan's Express was released earlier this year on BD. I don't know if Fox will have another "do-over" release like it did with Patton which is a more popular title.

I share your doubts. I thought that the BD came from a 4k scan of a bad source which was not cost effective to completely restore.

#96 of 249 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 14 2013 - 03:55 AM

Oops, sorry my mistake, it was The Blue Max I was thinking of. Fox re-did Patton...& then released the old waxy version in the UK!

#97 of 249 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 05:48 AM

I highly doubt that any blu ray release of EXODUS will include an isolated score track.  If one was available the score would have been released on CD ages ago...

#98 of 249 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 11:29 AM

I highly doubt that any blu ray release of EXODUS will include an isolated score track.  If one was available the score would have been released on CD ages ago...

Khartoum's original score recordings haven't been released, and Nick Redman and his team are restoring them from newly-discovered masters for that release. The same could occur with Exodus.

#99 of 249 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 11:46 AM

Khartoum's original score recordings haven't been released, and Nick Redman and his team are restoring them from newly-discovered masters for that release. The same could occur with Exodus.

Re: Exodus. Of course that would be great. JUST great!  That said the original Khartoum recording is certainly a great find as I'll be hoping that one of the specialty soundtrack labels makes the music available on cd.  Kritzerland? Intrada??

#100 of 249 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 14 2013 - 02:05 PM

Re: Exodus. Of course that would be great. JUST great!  That said the original Khartoum recording is certainly a great find as I'll be hoping that one of the specialty soundtrack labels makes the music available on cd.  Kritzerland? Intrada??

Yep, the (late) composer Frank Cordell has had a few lucky finds. First when the record label FSM released his album of Khartoum on CD they also found the tapes for an unreleased album of Mosquito Squadron, which they included. Then the complete music tapes for Cromwell were found & released earlier this year by the record label Intrada. I hope the Khartoum tapes are in good nick (& maybe stereo?) & get released. The sad fact is that most music soundtrack tapes are long gone.

Edited by Billy Batson, October 14 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users