What's new

iTunes Movies Removed From Library, Can't Re-download! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I feel ripped off. I just went to look at all the movies I still had in iTunes. I noticed that three of my iTunes movies were missing from my library. Jumper, I Want Your Money, and The Inconvenient Tax. They are not in my Hidden Purchases either. One isn't even in the store anymore, and I can't re-download them.

This is one of the many reasons that Ultra-Violet is better. They guarantee that once you buy it, it is yours to keep For-Eh-Ver. iTunes makes no such claim, when a movie is pulled from the store, it is gone unless you have already downloaded it.

P

Patrick Donahue

Not user error at all. Im a huge Apple fan but for that reason I only buy UV titles. They DO recommend you download them so you wont lose a copy but thats one step (not to mention more hardware to buy) that you can comfortably skip with UV. And to be fair to Apple it's the studios that pull them. The only thing I can add is titles have been known to reappear after having been gone awhile...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I always download my movies. I have never "lost" one.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I had them downloaded of course. Then I got a new computer, and discovered that they aren't in iCloud anymore. I thought movies were supposed to be in iCloud but I guess some aren't. Well, at least I don't have to worry about that with UV.

P

Patrick Donahue

I love everything Apple, but the day I can watch my UV collection through my Apple TV can't come soon enough...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sounds like User Error to me too. The first two are still on the ITMS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/jumper/id276580756

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/an-inconvenient-tax/id438135840

It looks like the IWYM app is still on the store, I don't see that it was ever available as a download there tho, are you sure you didn't download it from the official site?
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/iwantyourmoney/

Edit: Found the link from Rotten Tomatoes (0% on the tomatometer BTW, doesn't sound like you are missing much):
https://itunes.apple.com/video/i-want-your-money/id441699726?ign-mpt=uo%3D5

So yes it has been removed but you should still be able to download it, that's the case with all the majors, maybe cause it's an indie film that is different.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Several sites are reporting that some Disney movies have been removed from iTunes and Amazon Instant. Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King are just two. People who previously purchased the content lost it as well. Vudu customers, however did not lose access. All of my Disney films, including BATB is still in my library. Vudu believes in ownership. With iTunes and Amazon, you are just purchasing a liscence to view the film. It's in their TOS. This is one more win for vudu and ultraviolet!

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/24/in-likely-glitch-some-disney-and-pixar-movies-pulled-from-itunes-store-report-of-deletions-from-apple-tv/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guaranteed this is fixed by next week. It's likely a glitch and not by design. If it's by design Disney is going to get fierce feedback over it.
Vudu believes in ownership. With iTunes and Amazon, you are just purchasing a liscence to view the film. It's in their TOS. This is one more win for vudu and ultraviolet!
Once again you are posting like a zealot Josh, it makes it very hard to take you seriously.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, regarding your statement, you are talking out your :3dglasses:
When you purchase Content, you will be granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license to access, use in accordance with any additional terms that may be provided with your VUDU Device, and view the Content as often as you like subject to the applicable restrictions described below.
You understand and agree that the Content is licensed by VUDU from Content Providers. Copyrights in the Content are owned by the Content Providers and protected by the copyright laws of the United States, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. Except as expressly provided herein, no right, title or interest in the Content is transferred to you. All Content is licensed, not sold, transferred or assigned to you. You have a limited right in the Content for personal, non-commercial use only on VUDU Devices. You may not edit, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, download, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, translate, create derivative works from, transfer, alter, adapt, sell, rent, lease or sublicense any Content, or facilitate any of the foregoing. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you may not (i) show any Content to any public audience or view it in a public location; (ii) duplicate, reproduce, transfer, record or create copies of Content or any portion thereof (including, without limitation, by “burning,” P2P file-sharing, posting, uploading or downloading) onto any physical medium, memory or device, including without limitation, CDs, DVDs, VCDs, portable media devices, computers or other hardware or any other medium now known or hereinafter devised. You may not attempt to circumvent, avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair or otherwise defeat any encryption, rights signaling or copy protection technology in which the Content is wrapped or otherwise associated. You may not decompile, copy, reproduce, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the computer file in which the Content is stored to a human- readable format. Any unauthorized copying or other activities that infringe upon the intellectual property rights of the Content Providers/owners of the Content is prohibited, and you expressly agree to the automatic termination of the VUDU Service if you engage in any infringing activities. Upon any such termination, the Content will be deleted from your VUDU Device(s).Except as specifically granted herein, all rights to the Content are reserved by the owner of such Content.
http://www.vudu.com/termsofservice.html[/color]

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And finally:
Termination by VUDU:We reserve the right to terminate your VUDU Account and/or your use and access to the VUDU Service at any time with or without cause. If your VUDU Service is terminated for any reason, your credit card will be refunded any U.S. dollar balance that remains in your VUDU Account. We have no obligation to refund fees paid for VUDU Devices [or any value, monetary or otherwise, you may have accrued as VUDU Credits.]
Same as everyone else.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
You just have to be right all the time, don't you Sam. You can't admit that Disney and iTunes are heavy handed in their restrictions. They do a lot of things right, and I love thier products, but they are wrong on this issue. You sound like a real fanboy. Are you a shareholder? Disney even stated that they were removed because they are going back into the vault. But all the backlash from consumers, as well as threats of class action lawsuits got them to reverse course. It wasn't a glitch. If it was, why did they dissapear from iTunes and Amazon, but not vudu? There is a reason. vudu gurantess that once you buy it, it will never be removed from your library. UltraViolet guarantees this too.

"When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member."

The vudu terms say that your account can be deleted, not individual titles, if you commit some type of fraud, otherwise your collection is safe.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, I like relying on facts, those can be helpful some times.BTW, reread that paragraph. Your account can be removed at any time for any reason, not just fraud. That would be helpful should any of these services go belly up. Like DIVX did. And playsforsure did.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ICYMI, Disney has gone on record stating that this was an error and not fixed due to the backlash:
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/some-disney-movies-are-no-longer-in-itunes-including-titles-previously-purchased

The spokesperson also noted that they don’t pull content that has already been purchased in the iTunes Store — even if that content is no longer available for new purchases.Disney was not aware of this issue until seeing the original 9to5Mac report, and our followup. Since that time, they are working with Apple to resolve whatever issues do exist, to ensure that purchased content is once again available for streaming and download purposes.
I'm not sure where you are getting your ideas that Vudu and UV's policies are so much more refined than either Amazon or iTunes. None of their posted TOS or other policies back that up. You want it to be one way, but it's the other.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If Vudu decided to terminate my account for no apparent reason? I wouldn't lose my movies I would just access them from another vender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks