Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

"The Alamo"s Status?

MGM Fox Ztagtest

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1161 replies to this topic

#41 of 1162 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 07:00 PM

This week finally saw the official announcement of a release of the roadshow version (more or less) of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World by Criterion.
Wouldn't it be nice to see Criterion release the extended version of The Alamo? How about the same release with The Last Command included as a special feature?
(If you are going to dream, then dream big.)

#42 of 1162 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 07:17 AM

This week finally saw the official announcement of a release of the roadshow version (more or less) of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World by Criterion.
Wouldn't it be nice to see Criterion release the extended version of The Alamo? How about the same release with The Last Command included as a special feature?
(If you are going to dream, then dream big.)

Dream REALLY big!!  Have "The Man from the Alamo" as another added feature, to bring a "coda" to the Alamo saga.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#43 of 1162 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted October 17 2013 - 10:45 AM

If I'm gonna dream big, then I'd have to dream of the roadshow version of "The Alamo" and a new, non-DNR'd "Spartacus" from Criterion in 2014.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#44 of 1162 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 03:04 PM

If Criterion did release the roadshow version, I'm fairly sure that they'd sell lots and lots of copies.

#45 of 1162 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 08:50 AM

If I'm gonna dream big, then I'd have to dream of the roadshow version of "The Alamo" and a new, non-DNR'd "Spartacus" from Criterion in 2014.

YES!  Count me in on SPARTACUS times seven for all the recently blu-rayed friends who I'll birthday gift it to!  Criterion, we need you to make it right!  Please!

#46 of 1162 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 10:20 AM

The ALAMO and of course SPARTACUS...

#47 of 1162 OFFLINE   Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hopefully, if it is feasable, they could use the same restorative techniques used to create the Roadshow version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and use those to recreate the Roadshow of the Alamo.

Perhaps they can only use the 70mm print for just the scenes that are not in the theatrical cut. Considering it is a john wayne film and that it is the LAST surviving print of this longer cut, It sickens me to know that thus far MGM is not helping out or willing to to much with it. It's sad. Granted I know that MGM has been bought and sold and that the current owners dont give a hoot, but can't some film historians and lovers like Martin Scorsese step in and help out? If it costs a million to restore,  i;m surprised he or other lovers of movies and film restoration don't chip and and do something. I always hear that there is legal issues and logistics with doing this, but really your telling me that if I or anyone else showed up with the money needed that they wouldn't or couldnt take or use it? What if I left it on Robert Harris' doorstep with a note from anonymous ;) 

Granted I wish I could, but sadly not rich. Far from it actually, but I wish I could help fund these. MGM has a TON of movies that need to be remastered properly for tv and home video use. They have way too many old full frame analog masters for a lot of their niche titles as we have seen with some of the fullframe and older transfers that Shout has used on some of their bargain sets. One day this film will not be usable and it WILL be lost. I can't imagine how that doesn't scare anyone at MGM.

#48 of 1162 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 368 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 07:42 PM

The 70mm print is in pretty bad shape. MGM has been dragging it's heals forever on this. Hopefully if IAMMMMW sells well, maybe they'll change their mind. And hopefully not too late.

• Everett Stallings likes this

#49 of 1162 OFFLINE   sonomatom1

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:26 AM

Back in the days when I had a laserdisc player, I eagerly purchased the "Roadshow" release of "The Alamo". Although I don't remember a lot of particulars about the quality of the print, I remember it as being quite good, but to my queston. Why isn't it possible to copy the LD version of the film to DVD/Blu-ray? I understand that there is bound (perhaps) to be some degradation, but isn't that a more reasonabl solution that to invest millions of dollars for Mr. Harris to try and restore cans of badly deteroriated film stock?

#50 of 1162 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:34 AM

T

Back in the days when I had a laserdisc player, I eagerly purchased the "Roadshow" release of "The Alamo". Although I don't remember a lot of particulars about the quality of the print, I remember it as being quite good, but to my queston. Why isn't it possible to copy the LD version of the film to DVD/Blu-ray? I understand that there is bound (perhaps) to be some degradation, but isn't that a more reasonabl solution that to invest millions of dollars for Mr. Harris to try and restore cans of badly deteroriated film stock?

The laser disc is standard def.  Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray.  It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player.  The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology.  It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release.

Edited by John Hermes, November 21 2013 - 09:34 AM.

• Jacksmyname likes this

#51 of 1162 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 10:29 AM

T

The laser disc is standard def.  Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray.  It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player.  The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology.  It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release.

Ok, to whom do I make out the check, and where do I send it?

MGM? RAH?

#52 of 1162 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted November 21 2013 - 12:03 PM

What would happen is what happened with Mad World - You scan the film elements to get the resolution and you use the SD LD masters to get the color back in.
  • Stephen_J_H and sonomatom1 like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#53 of 1162 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted November 21 2013 - 10:58 PM

Can we start a kick starter to fund a restoration of "the Alamo" like they did with "Manos: the hands of fate"?
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#54 of 1162 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted November 22 2013 - 12:34 AM

No, because MGM wouldn't take the money.

#55 of 1162 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 22 2013 - 03:32 AM

POPULAR

Can we start a kick starter to fund a restoration of "the Alamo" like they did with "Manos: the hands of fate"?

No, because MGM wouldn't take the money.

Not a problem, we can pay the bar tab with it instead.

• Moe Dickstein, Mark B, Lromero1396 and 1 other like this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#56 of 1162 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted November 23 2013 - 09:39 AM

I thought the whole problem was MGM wouldn't restore and release "The Alamo" because of the cost. If it was FREE (ie, kick starter funded) why WOULDNT they jump at the chance?
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#57 of 1162 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 12:29 PM

Because then they look bad because someone gave them the money. Better in their mind to let it rot

#58 of 1162 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted November 23 2013 - 01:16 PM

Because then they look bad because someone gave them the money. Better in their mind to let it rot

Not knowing any of the people who might possibly be involved, this still rings true, given what is often the corporate mentality. But maybe it would just require one person, the right person in the right corporate place, to change everything. We live in a world where "they" changed their minds about "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", after all, despite the forest of "maybe's" and "possibly's".

#59 of 1162 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 01:38 PM

Kickstarter is not exactly "free". You give certain amount of money and get something later on. With Alamo, you would donate x amount and get the "special Blu-ray" (or similar) later on. The idea is not that you give them money, they say "thanks" and you have to buy the film from Amazon.com.

Edited by Jari K, November 23 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#60 of 1162 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 02:08 PM

I thought the whole problem was MGM wouldn't restore and release "The Alamo" because of the cost. If it was FREE (ie, kick starter funded) why WOULDNT they jump at the chance?

This was already attempted a few years ago but MGM nixed it.

Vincent

• Moe Dickstein likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM, Fox, Ztagtest

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users