Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

"The Alamo"s Status?

MGM Fox Ztagtest

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1166 replies to this topic

#1 of 1167 OFFLINE   Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've not seen mention of this Todd-AO western in a little while, so I was curious if I could ask Mr. Harris & others that're in the know, what's going on with it?  I mean, as far as the potential restoration of the roadshow version of the film?

I apologize if this question has been answered before.

#2 of 1167 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,550 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 05:13 PM

There is thread devoted to this somewhere. There are few new posts because the only known remaining print of the long version was allowed to deteriorate to nothingness. If it ever comes out on Blu-ray, it will be the 160 minute version. Try to find the laserdisc or VHS of the so-called roadshow version if you ever want to see it.

#3 of 1167 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 05:34 PM

POPULAR

I've not seen mention of this Todd-AO western in a little while, so I was curious if I could ask Mr. Harris & others that're in the know, what's going on with it?  I mean, as far as the potential restoration of the roadshow version of the film?

I apologize if this question has been answered before.

The question has been asked before.

But things seem to be changing. Updates to come.

RAH
  • GregK, Douglas R, Moe Dickstein and 7 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 1167 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:31 PM

But things seem to be changing. 

Sometimes it's the little things, like this, that keep us going and get us up for another round.

• ahollis and Brian McP like this

#5 of 1167 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:37 PM

RAH

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this is the first good news we've heard in 3 years, so it's a bit hard not to.

• Brian McP likes this

#6 of 1167 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:41 PM

Good news?  Could it be??

#7 of 1167 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,568 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:50 PM

I will let my hopes be raised a little, but I certainly am glad I still have my laserdisc set.

• ahollis and Brian McP like this

#8 of 1167 OFFLINE   Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:52 PM

RAH

I appreciate the response.  That's wonderful to hear that at least something is happening now, I'm eager to find out what!

I'm glad that I at least have the VHS of the roadshow version, so for now, I can enjoy it in that format.

#9 of 1167 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 10 2013 - 06:55 PM

I saw the shorter version during original release, and then saw it a few times afterwards.  Not at all impressive.  The full-length LD is a very different story.  Let's hope we see the long version showcased, if at all possible.

A question for Mr. Harris:  is it possible that more recent restoration techniques may bring us the longer version more effectively than what would have been possible a few years ago?

#10 of 1167 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 07:14 PM

I saw the shorter version during original release, and then saw it a few times afterwards.  Not at all impressive.  The full-length LD is a very different story.  Let's hope we see the long version showcased, if at all possible.

A question for Mr. Harris:  is it possible that more recent restoration techniques may bring us the longer version more effectively than what would have been possible a few years ago?

More effectively, yes, however there are currently no large format elements from which a quality image can be harvested without high end restoration and heavy lifting. The original roadshow version might best be oriented toward HD uses, while the shorter version could be taken out theatrically -- but with great effort and immense data throughput.

Sorry, but nothing more to report at this time.

RAH
  • Brian McP likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#11 of 1167 OFFLINE   DennisBassi

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted October 10 2013 - 08:33 PM

I always click through on any thread concerning this movie with great trepidation, as I can't stand the thought of some bad news about something irreversible concerning the elements. I have a factory sealed VHS widescreen 193 minute version that I keep and will watch when all hope is lost about something better coming along. Very depressing. I hope that at the very least the situation does not get worse.

#12 of 1167 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 11 2013 - 02:49 AM

I always click through on any thread concerning this movie with great trepidation, as I can't stand the thought of some bad news about something irreversible concerning the elements. I have a factory sealed VHS widescreen 193 minute version that I keep and will watch when all hope is lost about something better coming along. Very depressing. I hope that at the very least the situation does not get worse.

Try finding the LD boxed set. 

• Brian McP likes this

#13 of 1167 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have it on VHS, still sealed. Two casettes. How to tell if it's the roadshow version?

Running time?

#14 of 1167 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 11 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have it on VHS, still sealed. Two casettes. How to tell if it's the roadshow version?

Running time?

The short version is 161 minutes, 202 minutes on the laser long version.

• Jacksmyname likes this

#15 of 1167 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks John.

#16 of 1167 OFFLINE   DVBRD

DVBRD

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 11:54 AM

I had a VHS of this film that displayed the running time as "2 hours and 53 minutes" (173 minutes). If you have that copy, Jack, the 12 additional minutes consists entirely of the overture, entr'acte, and exit music. It's still the short version.

#17 of 1167 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 635 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 03:56 PM

More effectively, yes, however there are currently no large format elements from which a quality image can be harvested without high end restoration and heavy lifting. The original roadshow version might best be oriented toward HD uses, while the shorter version could be taken out theatrically -- but with great effort and immense data throughput.

Sorry, but nothing more to report at this time.

RAH

Wait a minute. That was the "updates to come"? Man, what a bummer, I was hoping for something more than that. :(

#18 of 1167 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,013 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 08:42 AM

Wait a minute. That was the "updates to come"? Man, what a bummer, I was hoping for something more than that. :(

Mr. Harris put nothing more to report at this time a few hours after updates to come.  I imagine updates are a matter of weeks or months not hours.

#19 of 1167 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,453 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 14 2013 - 09:02 AM

The issue with movies like this, and have seen the same discussions, is when there are more than 1 version of a movie...you can't expect all versions to survive the same way.

I would be happy with this movie if the short and long versions were combined into one. Obviously better versions of the short version exist. If parts were added in from "what was available" I'd still buy it.

By the way, one of the original intentions of "BD Live*" was to allow "internet introduced" elements into films at the time of playback. Meaning, you buy your disc and it includes the short version of a movie. I'll use Cinema Paradiso as an example here. A movie where the short "shitty version" is the only version on BD.

At one time, BD Live* was supposed to allow the watcher of a given movie to put the disc in their BD player and watch the movie as contained. However, you could enable BD Live and splice in the extra minutes of the movie(everywhere they should go) from the 'net. Sure the movie would go from 1080P to 480P, but you'd have the entire movie.

Where did that ability go? I would watch certain movies that way...if that were the only way to see it.

*This was before profile 2.0/BD Live hit the consumer market. HD-DVD was working on a similar idea.

#20 of 1167 ONLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,225 posts

Posted October 15 2013 - 05:30 AM

I never use BD Live (or if I use it, there are just some trailers or connection issues). If they want to add extras, they should be included on the disc(s) itself. Blu-ray is a physical media. If I want to dl or stream stuff I use other sources.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM, Fox, Ztagtest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users